IGNORED

WorthyNews: New York City Power Outage Leaves 73,000, and Times Square, Without Electricity

WorthyNewsBot

• Group:  Bots
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  39,879
  • Topics Per Day:  6.47
  • Content Count:  44,311
  • Content Per Day:  7.18
  • Days Won:  2

(Worthy News) - On the anniversary of a 1977 blackout that hit most of New York City, a massive power outage brought the curtain down on Broadway shows and stalled traffic on Manhattan streets. Underground, the power outage affecting 73,000 customers for hours also left the subway system in disarray.

Con Edison CEO John McAvoy said a problem at a substation caused the 6:47 p.m. power failure, which stretched 30 blocks from Times Square to 72nd Street and Broadway and spread to Rockefeller Center. Electricity was restored to customers and businesses in midtown Manhattan and the Upper West Side by around midnight, according to a statement from the utility.

McAvoy said the exact cause of the blackout would not be known until an investigation is completed. [ Source: Time (Read More...) ]

The post New York City Power Outage Leaves 73,000, and Times Square, Without Electricity appeared first on Worthy Christian News.

View the full article

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,106
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

a good reminder of how addicted to technology we are...…   and the devastation that an EMP attack could cause this country.

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,773
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  129
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

3 minutes ago, other one said:

a good reminder of how addicted to technology we are...…   and the devastation that an EMP attack could cause this country.

What I found interesting was it was the 42nd anniversary of a blackout in 1977 ... coincidence? 

Also, with a blackout like this ... what happens if you live on the 50th floor?  Can you imagine the people that we stuck in elevators all over the city?

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,106
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Just now, George said:

What I found interesting was it was the 42nd anniversary of a blackout in 1977 ... coincidence? 

Also, with a blackout like this ... what happens if you live on the 50th floor?  Can you imagine the people that we stuck in elevators all over the city?

one news cast I heard said the fire department had to rescue people from elevators....   I think they said about 400 people. That would be scary... without electricity I don't think there is much circulation of air in an elevator....   I wonder if one could use up all the oxygen in the thing.

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,307
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

The past year our neighborhood had a few power outages.   I immediately called the DWP to report it, as I was up late when they happened.    The outages lasted about ten hours each time.   Of course, the main concern is the perishables in the fridge, so we kept the fridge shut.   Also, since we couldn't use the microwave, had to eat some cereal and another time I went down the street to buy a sandwich for my mom who is a diabetic.

Talking about elevators....there is a senior building nearby.   They were always having trouble with the elevators not working at all.   The seniors were stranded on the upper floors.   They finally called the TV news to complain about their plight, and that helped it seemed.