• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  0

36 minutes ago, RTCarroll said:

All of these comments highlight what I see as a problem in the church, we have chosen sins that are worse than other sins.   

Some sins give the appearance of evil while other sins do not.   Is that consistent with God's word?  

Does God think that drinking a beer with dinner is worse than the love of money or gluttony?  I think the answer is no, yet we are happy to create a hierarchy of sins whose appearances are ok and others are not.  This is not what we should be doing.   

Yes, alcohol can causes problems, it can harm your health.  Yet alcohol is no where near the health issues in this country that obesity is.   

How many men have put their jobs before their families and their God because of greed?  I would say far more than have done so because of alcohol. 

Actually "alcohol" has done none of these things.  It is the abuse of alcohol that has done these things. Just like guns are not evil, but the wrong use of them can be. Alcohol is not evil or wrong. It is one of the blessing given to man by the Lord. He is the one that created fermentation and Jesus had no problem enjoying wine.  Never to excess.  

I am the one that wore the shirt with Jesus on it. My question wasn't if that was right or wrong, it was asking for people's opinions on the enjoyment of alcohol and perhaps people's backgrounds. As in my original text, I grew up in a "dry" county. I also grew up in the Bible belt where many Southern Baptists had a real problem with all alcohol and practically believed that a devil jumped out of a bottle of alcohol. In just recent years our state did away with "blue laws" which had prevented the sale of alcohol on Sunday, including restaurants. In my opinion there was no appearance of evil or wrong doing by wearing a shirt with the name of Jesus on it while purchasing beer as I do not consider it to be a sin. It would have been hypocritical of me to make my purchases hiding the fact I am a Christian.  Isn't that implying that only sinners buy alcohol?

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

All of the comments are referring to the original poster asking an OPINION about wearing a “Jesus” shirt while carrying beer.

A whack over the head and you feel that is Christian?  Actually the older couple didn't "stare" me down. They appeared shocked by me, but I actually smiled at them, after all I had committed no sin. I was simply purchasing a perfectly legal item from a grocery store during daylight with no pretense or shame. I was out of beer and had been working outside, so I wanted a cold one later on.  

There is still the implication that I should be a hypocrite and hide the fact that I am Christian when purchasing beer  which implies that only sinner purchase beer! How judgmental and hypocritical is that!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54

30 minutes ago, RTCarroll said:

Why is the sin of alcohol singled out for not being able to wear a Jesus shirt?

I just wasn’t interested in discussing  someone’s weight or what car they drive or any other topic when the discussion was about alcohol.

18 minutes ago, Tigger56 said:

A whack over the head and you feel that is Christian? 

Obviously I was joking. But I do think admonishing one  another is Christian. Why post the the topic if you didn’t want anyone’s honest opinion? 

Just now, ReneeIW said:

Obviously I was joking. But I do think admonishing one  another is Christian. Why post the the topic if you didn’t want anyone’s honest opinion? 

Don't mind honest opinions, but I am allowed to disagree am I not?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ReneeIW said:

Obviously joking.... always helps to put an emoji in for us that are a little slow and don't always catch the joke.... sorry, just missed the joke but don't feel bad one man at our church will tell jokes that sometimes go right over my head!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Tigger56 said:

Don't mind honest opinions, but I am allowed to disagree am I not?

Sure. I’m not even sure what you are disagreeing with. I didn’t read through the entire thread.

I do think Christians are to be the salt and light so I would think you would go the extra mile to make sure you are not offending anyone(Romans 14) or causing anyone to stumble.

Edited by ReneeIW

12 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

Sure. I’m not even sure what you are disagreeing with. I didn’t read through the entire thread.

I do think Christians are to be the salt and light so I would think you would go the extra mile to make sure you are not offending anyone(Romans 14) or causing anyone to stumble.

I would go out of the way not to offend.... in the right circumstances. I have a brother in law that is Baptist and he feels all alcohol is evil, so when they come to our home we never drink or serve any alcohol. But when I am outside going about my business..... I don't plan on the stopping of the purchase of alcohol and I don't plan on not displaying by beliefs.  My "All For Jesus" hat probably offends some... but will wear it. My professing the Sabbath probably offends some Christians but will continually defend it.

When Paul discusses not eating meat sacrificed to idols as to not to offend a brother. Well, case in point, if I know if offends someone coming to dine with me I will not serve alcohol nor meat sacrificed to idols.

Christianity itself offends many but we cannot hide our beliefs. The elderly couple that appeared shocked by me. How do I know if it was the beer shock, ing them, it is an assumption on my part as I didn't actually speak with them..  It could have been my face (it is a lot to take in broad daylight!)  It could have been the Jesus shirt, it could have been the beer and the shirt or could have just been the beer and they never noticed the shirt. Or could have even been the USC hat I was wearing (university of South Carolina), there are many Clemson fans in my area, so my hat may offend some of them, a chance I will have to take. If my intention isn't to offend,  then why am I responsible for those who are so easily offended. 

Edited by Tigger56

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

4 hours ago, Bawcash said:

So: Would combining the Jesus shirt with driving a 75,000 dollar car also give an appearance of evil?

Only when you have a 12 pack of beer under your arm, while heading for that classy car. :whistling:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  56
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

37 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

I just wasn’t interested in discussing  someone’s weight or what car they drive or any other topic when the discussion was about alcohol.

But they are all tied together in a common thread...they can all be sins and they can all not be sins. 

Yet you never see anyone being told sell their car because it is making a poor brother stumble.  Or telling a pastor to lose weight before they start to preach on the evils of alcohol.  

Why is that?