• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

4 minutes ago, Bawcash said:

Right? I heard it explained using Matthew 5:29. If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out.... Your eye isn't sinful, your heart is.

We sin everyday as Christians without even knowing it. Alcohol is a drug, caffeine is a drug and so is nicotine. To consume a drug is a sin and can be addicting. Alcohol can be more destructive because it alters the judgment in the brain. If a person is intoxicated and they get into a car and drive they may get a DUI or get into an accident with another car and hurt someone. It is between God and the person who consumes the drug. Many who drink coffee, chocolate or a Coke or Pepsi may see this differently but it is still a drug.

9 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

Why do I get the feeling, as we are discussing consumption of alcohol, our OP is sitting at home cracking a few brews, and laughing at our comments? :24:

You never know being on a computer. We never know who we are communicating with.We do not know that person on the other side of the computer.  :huh:

• This is Worthy 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

7 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

The enjoyment of alcohol...

Sorry bro, but perhaps you should have given it a little consideration into wearing a shirt with less advertisement of a spiritual statement on it? :rolleyes: 

That is EXACTLY why I don't have any Christian emblems on my car.

• Loved it! 1
  • Brilliant! 1

6 hours ago, enoob57 said:

I can live well without it for the love of my Brothers an Sisters around me :thumbsup:

I was discussing this issue with someone once about that very concept and they said, "Ah, the tyranny of the weaker brother". Apparently it's a meme.

2 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

That is EXACTLY why I don't have any Christian emblems on my car.

You can really tell the character and integrity of a person by the emblems they have on their car. I have seen some really interesting ones :blink:

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Tigger56 said:

True, don't want to offend, but at the same token I didn't think about it because I didn't feel I was sinning or doing anything wrong. Just like the fact that I will often cut my grass on Sunday. I keep the Sabbath and I'm not offended by others cutting their grass on Saturday. I believe they are wrong but don't condemn them for it not feel offended. Perhaps, being offended is another subject in itself. What if my shirt with the name of "Jesus" on it was offensive, should I quit wearing it. 

On a side note, my Sabbath rest is Jesus.

But I was in a southern gospel band where one of the singers said, to the crowd, that he saw people harvesting their tobacco while he was driving to church and he wondered why they weren't in church. 

I said in my hot mic, "Maybe they're seventh day Adventists." 

6 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

About your shirt? C'mon bro, with a 12 pack of brewskis? Really? :whistling:

When I lived in Seattle, nobody would have batted an eye. I now live in Rural KY, in a county that only recently went "moist". Alcohol is the "tool of the devil" here. We spent time at two separate churches before we finally found a less dogmatic church. We discovered we are not baptists. When I first moved here, occasionally someone would come out HARD against any alcohol consumption. I's ask them, "Really?  So, are you Mormon or are you Muslim?"  I had no idea Baptists were tea totalers. They weren't in Seattle.

Meanwhile, one of the churches I attended had Wednesday night small groups. They were based on some sort of common group theme and had the goal of Christians enjoying time together as Christians, and each had a theme. One of them was a "bourbon appreciation" group. I kid you not. And they were not only strong in their Christian beliefs but well educated on the message of the bible. At least, they were more educated on it than many of the folks I've met in the small teatotalling churches near me now. 

I expect people to disagree with me on things, but it enhances my respect for them if they can soundly back it up if they are going to point the bony finger of judgement at me or anyone else.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

The enjoyment of alcohol...

Sorry bro, but perhaps you should have given it a little consideration into wearing a shirt with less advertisement of a spiritual statement on it? :rolleyes: 

I agree. I don't think wearing a shirt confirming your faith in Jesus Christ and picking up a six pack of beer is very good. People will then look at you as a Christian hypocrite. The world already labels Christians as hypocrites. 

• Brilliant! 1

7 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I agree. I don't think wearing a shirt confirming your faith in Jesus Christ and picking up a six pack of beer is very good. People will then look at you as a Christian hypocrite. The world already labels Christians as hypocrites. 

In all seriousness, it can also be a conversation starter. :)

For starters, it can be used to expose their misunderstanding regarding the gospel and go forward from there. 

Edited by Still Alive

Just now, Still Alive said:

In all seriousness, it can also be a conversation starter. :)

The other day when I stepped into our local grocery store there was a man with a t shirt that had a Christian message. I rarely see this and it is refreshing. I told him " I like your shirt". :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1