Dennis1209

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

Interesting! While I don't have a clue as to exactly how God will mete out His punishment, I'm simply glad to know that if I have faith and follow the teachings of Christ I don't have to worry about it. As a matter of fact Jesus never told us that we had to understand such things. He told us what to do to avoid God's punishment and to have eternal life so I prefer to try and do those things and ultimately I find that when I go off chasing such details, I am using my time unwisely.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

Just now, unworthyservant said:

Interesting! While I don't have a clue as to exactly how God will mete out His punishment, I'm simply glad to know that if I have faith and follow the teachings of Christ I don't have to worry about it. As a matter of fact Jesus never told us that we had to understand such things. He told us what to do to avoid God's punishment and to have eternal life so I prefer to try and do those things and ultimately I find that when I go off chasing such details, I am using my time unwisely.

I beg to differ friend....Hebrews 6 identifies "eternal judgement" as one of six FUNDAMENTAL principles of Christ we have to  get in place before we can go on  to maturity.

Your "finding" isn't coming from relying on Scriptural teaching.  And understanding eternal judgement actually is very important...which is one reason I got excited about this thread.  that is exactly  what Dennis has been exploring ..eternal judgement.  

Just check out the first 3 verses of Hebrews 6 and you might come away with  a little different viewpoint...

14 minutes ago, Jostler said:

I beg to differ friend....Hebrews 6 identifies "eternal judgement" as one of six FUNDAMENTAL principles of Christ we have to  get in place before we can go on  to maturity.

Your "finding" isn't coming from relying on Scriptural teaching.  And understanding eternal judgement actually is very important...which is one reason I got excited about this thread.  that is exactly  what Dennis has been exploring ..eternal judgement.  

Just check out the first 3 verses of Hebrews 6 and you might come away with  a little different viewpoint...

I went just now and reread Hebrews Chapter 6 in it's entirety and am not sure exactly to what you refer. To clarify, I don't deny that the judgement to which you refer is real. I'm simply stating that Christ never taught that we should debate it's details or spend our time trying to figure it out. You say I don't rely on "scriptural teaching" and while I'm not sure what teaching to which you refer, I will say that I rely only on the teachings of Christ. If Christ said it, then I believe it. If He didn't say it then it may or may not be correct but if Christ didn't teach it, then it has no bearing on my faith. So, no, Hebrews Chapter did nothing to alter my belief and in general, I will defer to the teachings of Christ over the epistles of Paul every time. 

2 minutes ago, unworthyservant said:

I went just now and reread Hebrews Chapter 6 in it's entirety and am not sure exactly to what you refer. To clarify, I don't deny that the judgement to which you refer is real. I'm simply stating that Christ never taught that we should debate it's details or spend our time trying to figure it out. You say I don't rely on "scriptural teaching" and while I'm not sure what teaching to which you refer, I will say that I rely only on the teachings of Christ. If Christ said it, then I believe it. If He didn't say it then it may or may not be correct but if Christ didn't teach it, then it has no bearing on my faith. So, no, Hebrews Chapter did nothing to alter my belief and in general, I will defer to the teachings of Christ over the epistles of Paul every time. 

as you wish.  I personally believe He inspired every word so if we don't have that in common we're likely to have a different understanding of the importance of Hebrews 6.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Jostler said:

as you wish.  I personally believe He inspired every word so if we don't have that in common we're likely to have a different understanding of the importance of Hebrews 6.

Please don't take my comments to mean that I don't give weight to other Bible authors. I'm simply of the belief that we as Christians should always read the rest of the new testament in context with the teachings of Christ. I simply don't see in Paul's writing in Hebrews Chapter 6 where he tells us to spend our time worrying about or debating details such as in this topic. If he does please point out exactly where. Meanwhile, I will go with the fact that Jesus sure didn't and that's good enough for me. I just want to correct your assumption that I don't read or believe the teachings of Paul. I simply believe that Jesus taught us everything that we need to know in order to follow him and writers such as Paul simply gave their interpretation of the same teachings.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

Well Yeshua was around forever and can bee seen in the Tanach if you study hard. The Torah is the Heart and Mind of God so we do well to lean it well. God has been teaching us all along and sometimes does it directly and at others uses human agents. Since all wisdom comes from the Lord, all the books that Yeshua and the apostles read should also be on our reading lists. 

19 minutes ago, unworthyservant said:

Please don't take my comments to mean that I don't give weight to other Bible authors. I'm simply of the belief that we as Christians should always read the rest of the new testament in context with the teachings of Christ. I simply don't see in Paul's writing in Hebrews Chapter 6 where he tells us to spend our time worrying about or debating details such as in this topic. If he does please point out exactly where. Meanwhile, I will go with the fact that Jesus sure didn't and that's good enough for me. I just want to correct your assumption that I don't read or believe the teachings of Paul. I simply believe that Jesus taught us everything that we need to know in order to follow him and writers such as Paul simply gave their interpretation of the same teachings.

i elaborated a bit on Hebrews 6 here:

And I went into  another aspect in another post I linked in that one if you care to follow the trail that  far

7 minutes ago, Jostler said:

i elaborated a bit on Hebrews 6 here:

And I went into  another aspect in another post I linked in that one if you care to follow the trail that  far

Well, I just read Chapter 5 and am still unsure to exactly what you are referring to that would contradict my point that Christ never said we should spend our time in trying to figure out details of things that Christ never gave us. Again, my only thought is that if instead of trying to figure out things that really don't affect what Christ taught us to do in our daily lives then that is that much more time we have to do the things that He did command us.

Just now, unworthyservant said:

Well, I just read Chapter 5 and am still unsure to exactly what you are referring to that would contradict my point that Christ never said we should spend our time in trying to figure out details of things that Christ never gave us. Again, my only thought is that if instead of trying to figure out things that really don't affect what Christ taught us to do in our daily lives then that is that much more time we have to do the things that He did command us.

By the way, you refer to somewhere where you say you have elaborated. I'm new to this internet thing but I can't seem to see what you are referencing. I'd be glad to read it otherwise.

7 minutes ago, unworthyservant said:

By the way, you refer to somewhere where you say you have elaborated. I'm new to this internet thing but I can't seem to see what you are referencing. I'd be glad to read it otherwise.

i forgot those "image" links can be a bit confusing at first.  If you look at the box that says "Jostler replied to a topic" at the top, there are clickable links that will take you to the post I wrote that dealt with Hebrews 5 and 6.   There is a greyed out arrow in the top right corner and if you click on that it will take you  directly to the post mentioned.