• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

7 hours ago, maryjayne said:

You have started thread after thread telling people off about money and making assumptions about how much people give.

What is your job and financial situation?

Well, I am on disability and I live paycheck to paycheck. God has provided so that I don't have to go hungry and I have a roof over my head. On occasion, I even have a little ability to help someone else financially if only in comparatively small ways. I live a fairly austere lifestyle although I have managed to keep internet. And by the way, I don't think I've "told anybody off", I'm simply stating what Christ taught on the matter and in every instance he was consistent (Christ was always consistent) that we SHOULDN'T spend it on earthly treasures and pleasures and every time he told anyone what to do with their money, it was to give it to the poor or needy. There's only one exception that I can find and it's the oil (or perfume) that was used to anoint Him.n that one instance, even the disciples asked, shouldn't that have been sold and the money given to the poor? They had learned what Jesus had taught them and he didn't dispute their claim but rather explained that this was an exception because she was anointing Him for His burial.

Edited by unworthyservant
add a thought

8 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

I think we need to have some fun. Otherwise we would sooner or later become demoralized, wouldn't we?

Don't you think that giving is fun? Isn't seeing your efforts and money go to someone who truly needs the help fun? When I was a kid we had fun with very little. Then we grow up and it seems that all of a sudden we need to spend more and more to have fun. You don't have to spend money to have fun. I find it's fun to have gospel sings. That's just me, I'm an amateur musician.

Edited by unworthyservant
clarify a point

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

4 minutes ago, unworthyservant said:

Don't you think that giving is fun? Isn't seeing your efforts and money go to someone who truly needs the help fun? When I was a kid we had fun with very little. Then we grow up and it seems that all of a sudden we need to spend more and more to have fun. You don't have to spend money to have fun. I find it's fun to have gospel sings. That's just me, I'm an amateur musician.

You might want to become a professional musician one day. That might require an investment.

Just now, johnthebaptist said:

You might want to become a professional musician one day. That might require an investment.

Nope, I'm not that good and I know it but I do enjoy playing the night away with friends. The irony is it isn't until you develop a good enough ear to play that you realize how good you are or aren't.

2 minutes ago, unworthyservant said:

Nope, I'm not that good and I know it but I do enjoy playing the night away with friends. The irony is it isn't until you develop a good enough ear to play that you realize how good you are or aren't.

I think the Lord wants us to be generous with our money. I also think the Lord wants us to enjoy life. We need to talk it over with him what he wants us to spend on others and what we spend on ourselves.

5 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

I think the Lord wants us to be generous with our money. I also think the Lord wants us to enjoy life. We need to talk it over with him what he wants us to spend on others and what we spend on ourselves.

That's pretty much what I'm saying. He indeed wants us to enjoy life. My point is that you don't have to spend much money to have fun and I just feel that any time you talk over with the Lord whether to spend money on yourself for anything other than modest necessities or spend it on others, the answer will always be the same answer it always was in His ministry. Give it to someone in need in God's name, thereby glorifying God. I personally believe that the Lord hasn't changed His teachings so the answer will still be the same one He always gave. Did Christ enjoy life? Remember, the Son of Man had "no where to lay His head". Did He enjoy life?

2 minutes ago, unworthyservant said:

That's pretty much what I'm saying. He indeed wants us to enjoy life. My point is that you don't have to spend much money to have fun and I just feel that any time you talk over with the Lord whether to spend money on yourself for anything other than modest necessities or spend it on others, the answer will always be the same answer it always was in His ministry. Give it to someone in need in God's name, thereby glorifying God. I personally believe that the Lord hasn't changed His teachings so the answer will still be the same one He always gave. Did Christ enjoy life? Remember, the Son of Man had "no where to lay His head". Did He enjoy life?

I suspect he enjoyed what he was able to accomplish. And remember God rested on the seventh day.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

I remember the so-called 'game pools' primarily football, going around at a couple of my past occupations. It was a dollar to enter, and as recalled, you could enter more than one time. Who ever started the pool usually wanted to make a fair chance at winning, so it was limited to the number of times to make a guess at the score. Twice I believe, was the limit. Of course it's illegal to do this sort of gambling, so it was kept rather incognito. The more entries, the bigger the pool. The emphasis was, "C'mon man, we can get pretty big amount going if more people bet on this." And that aspect was really played up. Winner who guessed the closest to the score took the pool. I played a few times just to be a sport about being one of the crew, but never won. Oh well. I'm not into gambling anyway. Why risk more than you can afford to lose? 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,367
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

John 12:5 - Why was this fragrant oil not sold for three hundred denarii and given to the poor?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Tristen said:

John 12:5 - Why was this fragrant oil not sold for three hundred denarii and given to the poor?

Thank you. I tend to paraphrase a lot.