IGNORED

What commandments were broken in the story of the woman caught in adultery?

lftc

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

18 hours ago, JustPassingThru said:

How 'bout what this Scriptures tells us:

O LORD, the hope of Israel, all that forsake thee shall be ashamed, and they that depart from me shall be written in the earth, because they have forsaken the LORD, the fountain of living waters.  Jer 17:13

Lord bless

That is certainly another verse that uses the word "written". And the forsakers will be ashamed.  If it is an applicable reference, it begs the question of how the accusers were forsaking the LORD.  They were attempting to apply the Law to a case of vile sinfulness.  That would imply that they have not forsaken the LORD as they love his Law.  If it does apply one could consider that they have Forsaken the LORD because they know enough about the LORD to see that the Law would never save them, that their only hope is in his Mercy that is clearly demonstrated over and over throughout the Old Testament, in the purposely recorded accounts that were available for them to study.  They did study, probably better than any before them, but somehow they missed the fact that the LORD himself was standing before them.  They knew of the LORD, and worshipped Him only. But they clearly did not know him when he saw standing in front of them.  Why is a whole other long topic.

I personally believe in extreme use of context in understanding the scriptures.  So when a passage is referenced the entire context must be considered.  So I went and read the whole Jeremiah passage.  In it he (Jeremiah prophesying - speaking the thoughts of the LORD) is going through a very common theme in the scriptures - Israel was worshipping demon gods.  Certainly this applies to the church age as well as to Israel.  What I like about the thought (again, as long as we are keep in mind that we do not KNOW what Jesus wrote in the sand) if he wrote that passage he would be intending context (always remember that chapters, verses, and those aweful headings that so many publishers insert are not inspired word of God) - so the next verse says the cure: "Heal me, Lord, and I will be healed;
    save me and I will be saved,
    for you are the one I praise."

The cry for mercy that is essential to knowing God.

If he wrote that passage on the sand that would be really amazing.  But I am just speculating and I feel that the account of John is designed to take us to the Law to understand the trap, then to mercy as we see Jesus defeat the trap so that he could go on to die to fulfill the righteous requirements of the Law.  And twist their Law trap into a trap for them leaving them with no defense.  And it is beautiful and so revealing that he left a trail of love and mercy, such as the woman in this story.  Neither do I condemn you. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  1

22 hours ago, lftc said:

I personally believe in extreme use of context in understanding the scriptures.  So when a passage is referenced the entire context must be considered.  So I went and read the whole Jeremiah passage. 

That's good you do this, to understand the Word is context, context, context.

However, don't forget along with Logos there is Rhema, Rhema is God speaking directly to us, ...we call them life verses, a specific verse that He uses to guide and direct our lives, ...while reading His Word, Logos, a verse will just jump off of the page and it will be an answer to what we have been praying about, an answer to a question we have about the Word, or an answer to what direction to take when there are doors in front of us and we aren't sure which one is His plan for our lives, ...Father speaks to us individually as His children and when He does it's applies directly to us, ...it's not prophecy, or a Word of Knowledge that is to be given to the Church, it's for us personally, ...that's just one way among many that we know we have a personal relationship with Jesus our Lord.  

Lord bless

11 minutes ago, JustPassingThru said:

That's good you do this, to understand the Word is context, context, context.

However, don't forget along with Logos there is Rhema, Rhema is God speaking directly to us, ...we call them life verses, a specific verse that He uses to guide and direct our lives, ...while reading His Word, Logos, a verse will just jump off of the page and it will be an answer to what we have been praying about, an answer to a question we have about the Word, or an answer to what direction to take when there are doors in front of us and we aren't sure which one is His plan for our lives, ...Father speaks to us individually as His children and when He does it's applies directly to us, ...it's not prophecy, or a Word of Knowledge that is to be given to the Church, it's for us personally, ...that's just one way among many that we know we have a personal relationship with Jesus our Lord.  

Lord bless

True, but discussing such individual revelations is sharing personal thoughts that may not apply to other people. This topic is posted as question of interpretation of the scriptures which are either given as if for all people or are not.  So the topic here was intended to start discussion of what the scriptures represent as Law that governed in the time of the Christ.  Speculation about the writing in the dirt is a branch of this topic that has spun off and is certainly completely open to Rhema. 

By the way, the written word without knowing Jesus (logos vs rhema, using your definitions) may help get someone started.  But in the end it is a barren existence, no different than any other path of human understanding.  You are correct.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  1

42 minutes ago, lftc said:

This topic is posted as question of interpretation of the scriptures

To what end?

Isn't the purpose of the Word is to teach God's kids and convict sinners?

Isn't the Gift of Teaching explained in Nem 8:8?

And they read in the Book of the Law of God, clearly. And they gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

Is not teaching reading distinctively from the Word, explaining the Spiritual Principles and then helping others to understand them and to help them appropriate those Spiritual Principles into their walk with the Lord? 

What good is it to know the Law without explaining the spiritual principle behind them?

You're new here, ...no offense meant bro, ...but Worthy has plenty of those that present the Law without being able to explain the spiritual principles, ...let alone believe them themselves, ...you are correct about context, but may I suggest you study and ask Father for guidance to enable you to refute those in Love with the Word that have come here just to cause confusion, ...to edify and build up the weak saints, ...those too timid to post.

Lord bless bro 

2 minutes ago, JustPassingThru said:

To what end?

And they read in the Book of the Law of God, clearly. And they gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

Is not teaching reading distinctively from the Word, explaining the Spiritual Principles and then helping others to understand them and to help them appropriate those Spiritual Principles into their walk with the Lord? 

What good is it to know the Law without explaining the spiritual principle behind them?

You're new here, ...no offense meant bro, ...but Worthy has plenty of those that present the Law without being able to explain the spiritual principles, ...let alone believe them themselves, ...you are correct about context, but may I suggest you study and ask Father for guidance to enable you to refute those in Love with the Word that have come here just to cause confusion, ...to edify and build up the weak saints, ...those too timid to post.

Lord bless bro 

Thanks for calling me "bro"

Sorry if I confused you.  I see that you are making assumptions about my underlying belief systems.  I assume that is out of fear that I am opposed to your views.  Again, I offer my apology: sorry to have induced this response.  From your post, I appear to have communicated something to you that is not what I meant to say.  How typical of me.  Sorry.

I am nothing.  If you do not find things of interest in what I post, there are no consequences to ignoring them.  In fact, I ask that God bless you as you ignore me. 

21 minutes ago, JustPassingThru said:

To what end?

Now that I apologized for miscommunicating, allow me to respond to the questions asked, as related to this topic of "commands broken ...".

I believe the context of the scriptures are that we would know the LORD.  My summary of the huge statement that is the scriptures:  The LORD created Man, Man died in the Garden, the LORD sent his son to die to forgive all sin and raised him from the dead. So now each individual Man has the opportunity to no longer be dead.  I say that because there may be others who are afraid of me as they are unsure where I might intend the topic here to lead. 

So now, JustPassingThrough.  Please allow me to post without accusing me of things I did not say. I can explain the spiritual principles, but not in a single post, and I will not attempt to explain to a hostile audience.  You intend to teach me by telling me to study more.  Good Idea!  That is what these posts are - a group study as we consider together the implications of the Law as related to the account of the woman caught in adultery.  You are concerned about those too timid to post.  Again - I agree. Let's work together on lovingly looking at the scriptures (logos as you mentioned in your original post that led to this branch off topic).  Then those who are looking at this seeking deeper understanding of the account can have an opportunity to understand.  We can make no apology for the complexity, there are a vast number of voices pulling at each of the people you allude to reading this "too timid to post".  Just because they don't post doesn't mean they are inferior thinkers that do not see the complexity of the issues.  Our discussions, if handled with grace, can help others facing the difficulties of understanding.

Your introduction of Rhema into the discussion about the woman caught in adultery is valid for speculating about what Jesus wrote in the sand. And I tried to affirm you in that by the things I said.  Not that YOU need my affirmation, but I am trying to honestly find agreement while keeping the topic on topic.  Let me say it again: Rhema is essential in our individual quests to know God.  Extremely important.  I hunger and thirst for it.

If you, JustPassingThrough, are still reading at this point (as usual, I am too verbose), please hear me: good comments about Rhema. 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.32
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

2 hours ago, JustPassingThru said:

To what end?

Lord bless bro 

My mother used to have a serious reminder for me every time I called myself a kid .

I have to admit many churches are full of kids .

What many teach today , I have to admit , its for the kids all right .    But lambs want pure grade a bible truth chow .

Ps ,  go ye and learn what a kid is .      I was raised around and worked with all sorts of livestock .    Its why my mama always said You aint A KID your a child .

I know , iknow mama overstressed things at times .   Because personally I don't mind if we call children , children or kids .   But she was quite big on proper English .

OOOPS ,     I hope she don't see my posts .      Ps .  Though I can write much better than this .  

19 hours ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

My mother used to have a serious reminder for me every time I called myself a kid .

I have to admit many churches are full of kids .

What many teach today , I have to admit , its for the kids all right .    But lambs want pure grade a bible truth chow .

Ps ,  go ye and learn what a kid is .      I was raised around and worked with all sorts of livestock .    Its why my mama always said You aint A KID your a child .

I know , iknow mama overstressed things at times .   Because personally I don't mind if we call children , children or kids .   But she was quite big on proper English .

OOOPS ,     I hope she don't see my posts .      Ps .  Though I can write much better than this .  

Funny.  Brings deeper meaning to the phrase "just kidding".

Thanks for sharing it, God bless you and your mama - extra blessing on your mama - they all deserve it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

The woman caught in adultery is an example of self righteousness. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2019 at 5:51 PM, missmuffet said:

The woman caught in adultery is an example of self righteousness. 

I take it that you mean the accusers are being self-righteous?

The Original Post was about what laws we could see being broken in the account of the woman caught in adultery.  I don't know of a Law in the Mosaic Law about self-righteousness working from my memory.  Do you know of one?  You could derive it from the Law that says to Love your neighbor as yourself, and I wouldn't be surprised if their are several rabbinical writings that derive that.  But I am just guessing.

Thanks