• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

BTW- I am also in motion, moving to lower to me cost of living as the "city"  is getting too expensive for my comfort. I couldn't afford to move to Los Angeles today, no way. Yet I live elsewhere rather nicely.

God is leading me, has already set me up with a new local church body shown me a potential assignment too. seems grand to me. None of which would be happening if I just stayed in place and complained about the cost of air conditioning repair service  and just who is going to pay for it.

I know I am so greatly blessed by God! It is indeed awesome. Some that get to post here live with life threats,  in mud and rain, and pressure to keep  moving or die. I get to choose somewhat my place of dwelling. I am grateful for the unmerited pleasure. I do want to share in my good fortune, and I am led I believe to work at it.

I do not believe giving a thousand dollars a month to everyone 18 or older makes a bit of good economic sense for anyone. Not even the plumber. I do not see it serving God's will for us all.

2 hours ago, Debp said:

There are 74 apartments in this building so they get plenty of money.

Get and keep are not the same thing of course.

I had only thirty residential rental units, plus 145 motel rooms at one time.  Got plenty of money too but keep- that is another thing altogether. 

Competing against many hundreds of other units. I got plenty of money, but I also received plenty of yearly increases in costs of operation too. Plus I worked 18 hours a day day after day after day, and sometimes one day would just roll on into the next without any rest at all. Without a reasonable rate of return on my capital and labor there would be no reason for me to endure the not so much fun of dealing with guests and tenants at all.

Unfortunately today's tenant has little or no respect for the property they rent!!! They even take cabinet drawers with them when they move, they don't clean, etc. Cost of fresh paint, new carpet, appliances, to keep up  the properties goes up and up.  I did sell out. Even my real estate broker has sold out as tenants are just way too irresponsible today.  one must scale up and have many hundreds of units even many thousands to make for a profitable  long term venture in residential rental units today. And that is what is happening. Yes the rents are way up there too!

A builder I know stopped building and started a business just making kitchen cabinet drawers for  apartment building owners to replace the ones that the tenants steal as they move out rather than get boxes for their dishes and foods. He has made a excellent fortune just in that specially, and no longer had to deal with contracting and permits and government building regulations.

It just isn't all roses and sweet lavender for much of anyone today. One has to scramble or suffer loss. - or do without - or do with much less. There is the choice. But truly, most will not work "below their station" in life! They just will not do it. I will dumpster dive, scrap, save aluminum cans, whatever, as it is all honest endeavor. I have no station in life that I deserve just for being me. I do not resent the plumber his high fee for I know he  is worth his wage too, and so is the landlord, and the landlord's investors, and the bankers that lend him operation money and mortgages on his property.

We are not walking the street of Gold here, least I am not. Life is a hard grind, yet  there is opportunity to truly give thanks to God in all things- for all things do work together for those that believe on Jesus as Lord and savior.- Many do get to "walk" the street of gold, just not here.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

14 hours ago, Neighbor said:

That  is not so much more than is being given already. With federal earned income tax credit, Alaska's giveaway to residents,  Federal SSI benefits for families with kids and no man  in the household some families earn  more per month already than the mere $1,000 per person over eighteen being proposed.

Irritating, most unfair,  but then the sky has not fallen either.

Back in the late 80's, we allowed a woman from our church to stay with us for a while while my wife helped her try to find work. She used to ride the bus that I drove to our church with her kids but had moved to Texas (we were in Seattle).

The particulars of the woman:

• She was a green card carrying Mexican that got into Carter's amnesty program.
  • She had six kids aged 2-14.
  • She was getting $1,200 a month from welfare. This one really bothered me since she was not a citizen.

We found her work, and she quit after two days because it only paid $200 more a month than welfare and she wanted to be with her kids. We kicked her out at that point.

We got two things out of it:

1. Know someone's story before you offer your time and money to help them.

2. My three daughters got head lice.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

If everyone gets $1,000 a month for free, the average cost of goods will go up to match. 

I always like to have fun and suggest that we just raise the minimum wage to $100 an hour, then everybody will be "rich". :) 

Giving people free money is price inflationary. When you raise the floor, it is still the floor. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

19 hours ago, LadyKay said:

Your an adult and you get a 1000.00 every month.  Say the fist Monday of every month the check comes or gets deposited into your account. How would this change your life? What would you do with the money? 

I'm a little confused whether the OP is indicating one thousand a month extra to one's income to live on, or if this is the total amount given to make ends meet. If extra, it would mean quite a lot to me, and there's so much at this point that could be accomplished. I'm not currently having to be concerned with rent or a mortgage, so utilities, groceries, and co-pays for insurance and everything else would be really easy to manage. Otherwise I don't think I'd make it, being retired/disabled. It's odd how little surprises come up and take a lot of expense.  

But $1000.00 exclusively for most people wouldn't even come close to live on. Even back in the 1990's, my mortgage payment was $750.00, with a 8.25% interest - 30 year fixed rate. It was a first-time-buyers deal going through the state at that time, (CHAFA) even though it was a seller's market. Still the same, a lot of people took the opportunity going for the bait. Both were considered pretty low in this region of California, but the interest rate would be quite high by today's standards. Realtors raked in the bucks, but aren't they always?   

• Brilliant! 1

Just for contrast:

Saw my friend of several years Sunday at Sunday school, a man in his nineties now. I asked how are you doing? He said "I love my new mission field!"  Adding, "I don't have to drive anymore, I have my own room, and my own rug, and my pictures on the wall, and an entire facility filled with individuals to go about in sharing of our Lord and savior."

His hearing is going bad, his eyesight getting weak, his body weakening, he has lost his wife to her own death, he cannot keep his own home a mobile home, he cannot travel to rest homes to share the gospel and sing worship like he used to do.

He sees it as his new mission field. To me it is yet further testimony of how God prevails and uses those He will use and how each so used are blessed even in the harshest of circumstance. He chooses to love the care facility he is now in for the opportunity to share Christ Jesus with many.

• Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

7 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

"I love my new mission field!"  Adding, "I don't have to drive anymore, I have my own room, and my own rug, and my pictures on the wall, and an entire facility filled with individuals to go about in sharing of our Lord and savior."

Sounds pretty good to me. I've been in a nursing facility for  a year and a half now, and the accommodations look like a run-down ramshackled Motel 6. No carpeting except for the entrance of the lobby, and half the rooms have sections of missing slats in the vertical blinds. The toilets clog regularly, but most of the residents are incontinent. So I guess adequate plumbing seems to be low on priority status. It's about impossible sharing the gospel of Christ with a 99% Catholic Hispanic populous, and most have no relative cognitive skills to even communicate coherently. About half if not more of the nursing staff are lesbians and/or gay. The food lousy with little if any nutritional value at all. And bugs run rampant on the floors, but fumigation would probably be dangerous I suppose. Welcome to California's health care system. 

25 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

About half if not more of the nursing staff are lesbians and/or gay

There ya go. They are not incontinent nor incoherent are they? Do they have need of Christ in their life? Now, how best to share eh?

I have had to sit in some pretty vile odiferous facilities that are rampant with fast spreading diseases within them in order to be with family and tend to some of their needs and to do battle for them too while trying to get them back to their own homes with home care for them.

I have also been in some many facilities as a funeral director making removals of the deceased in those many places. Oh it is hard to stomach  the conditions that exist in  so many. But home care, well it costs easily $175,000 a year for 24/7 care in one's own home.

There simply are no real easy answers, living long after working productivity ends is not an easy thing for most of us. Yet my friend shines a light brightly. And I am lifted, my soul is enriched by him for he shows Jesus on both sleeves. He wears his certain hope with joy to be shared with all.

Further I did opt to build an apartment within my own home that was utilized by one family member for some 14 years til their death, and then it was used by other family with some housing need for a long time too. Now I am the old geezer, the family patriarch, I guess. No one is older  in the family than me that I  know of.

Yet, I feel a call to try to see if there is some solution for the very young of today to have housing of some kind and for them to learn to care for one another within their own local church body and within their own family. I do think  it desirable that every home have a separate apartment with a little kitchen and sense of independent space, to be utilized by each family for their own  that are in need. It is a blessing to have them close.  

I think of that through as I anticipate potentially selling my own homestead of so many decades. Perhaps it is best that I just sit on it in hope to pass it on to another generation- but each has to go build for themselves too, as God moves them about disbursing His gospel. It is a hard one for me at this time. But oh what a blessing it has been!

2 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

but the interest rate would be quite high by today's standards

Ha, I have paid  12.75 percent annual interest on an apartment complex mortgage, - back in the day of peanut farmer President Jimmy. Mortgage went from 7.25  to 12.75 plus one huge up front buy down"fee" in one great jump. There were no fixed rate long term mortgages.  I was happy to find it at the time as almost no one was lending mortgage money especially not for residential rental apartment buildings and the mortgage balance balloon payment was due. I literally went up and down the highway with my business records and five year projection charts showing potential revenue  at different occupancy rates and rent prices and varying fixed costs at different interest rates, making presentation after presentation after presentation to banks and savings and loans and insurance company lending companies and private parties till I was doing it in my sleep.

Try preplanning for that  kind of change.

Fortunately existing renters were also bailing too as they lost their jobs, and new tenants were coming in after losing their homes that did have capacity to pay the new higher rents that the new mortgage demanded I charge in order to stay in business. It gets hard some days, and some decades even. Will a "free for thee $1000 a month" change that? Doubt it.

But I do not doubt that God provides the perfect provision for each day. If it is provision for fasting that too is perfect for the day at hand. Tomorrow will be yet another day with another blessing of what sort I do not know, but look forward to it regardless. What an interesting adventure this is; none the less -maranatha!

47 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

There ya go. They are not incontinent nor incoherent are they? Do they have need of Christ in their life? Now, how best to share eh?

No, they're quite capable and continent. But for communications, the percentage also matches below: 

1 hour ago, BeauJangles said:

It's about impossible sharing the gospel of Christ with a 99% Catholic Hispanic populous,

It's essential for the ratio of demographics. Works out pretty well for them I guess.