• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

13 minutes ago, Coliseum said:

@lftc

I admire your response for this reason: you were gracious enough not to assume categorically anything. In fact, you used the word "perhaps." What you surmised, as far as you were able to, is correct. More than that, you were even willing to ask if I was trying to establish another point. These are excellent communication skills, and I want to thank you for bringing them to the table.

Initially, my original comment had nothing to do with the Gospel, but rather how people interpreted the truth when they did not have all of the information available. It certainly  could apply to the Gospel of Christ. When people lack information, they cannot rightfully assess anything. The three friends who were brought to the site could not have known the money I buried was removed, and they---like so many---assumed that we lied. Based upon what they knew, they could have been right, but without all of the information, they could have been wrong. They assumed what they knew was sufficient, but they were dead wrong! 

Many of us do the same thing when we read the Scriptures, and as you so beautifully said, "...recognizing what facts about an issue are established and what facts are assumed." 

Thank you!

Thanks for the compliments. 

I like that you are sharing posts intended to generate thought processes.  Too often people read what others write anticipating that if they concede any truths at an early stage they will be caught in a trap later.  Too which I say, be confident in your opinions enough to recognize valid reasoning all the way through.  Don't feel threatened by what comes next in someone's opinions.  They are just people like you.

Thank you.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

7 hours ago, Coliseum said:

There are many ridiculous claims. Most are not true. But simply because most are not true does not mean that all are not true. Nor does it mean that because I make a ridiculous claim to you that it is not true for me. When I was eight years old, I found a $50.00 bill. I buried it because I was into buried treasures. I told my best friend where I buried it and asked if he wanted to see for himself. Of course he did. So after I dug it up and reburied it, I told him not to tell anyone. It would be our secret. He agreed. But after he left, I figured he would tell others, so I dug it back up and held onto it. The next day, he and three others went to the site to dig up the treasure. It was not there. To the three he brought with him, he was a liar. Was it ever there? Sure it was. Simply because someone has no proof available does not mean it did not happen. To the three that were told of the buried treasure, it was a ridiculous claim. But to me and my friend, we knew differently.

And because Jesus Christ is not visible to us does not mean that He is not watching over us and controlling our lives. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

@missmuffet

Thx. Please read my response above that I wrote 1ftc. It will clarify the multiple assumptions---incorrect assumptions---that are being made. :)

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

9 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

Agreed. It is not 'merely' a commentary, but without the backbone of the Tanach, it is pretty well misunderstood. Few are students of the Tanach because they have been taught incorrectly I think.

They both go together very well. and the apostles' repurposing the Tanach (their bible) brings it all to life.

Well!  From MY perspective they were taught to think incorrectly!  So there.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Coliseum said:

---one will claim the total is two. Another will insist it is eleven.  

It's forty-eleven

signed,

a quantum physicist

• Haha 1

Sorry Coliseum, I don't mean to distract from your point.  It's an important one and I'm enjoying it...too much  :)  I'm in an unusually silly mood but have often wished there was more attention paid to what is said and what is assumed :) (and discerning the  difference between the two :) )

Edited by Jostler
  • Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, lftc said:

Thanks for the compliments. 

I like that you are sharing posts intended to generate thought processes.  Too often people read what others write anticipating that if they concede any truths at an early stage they will be caught in a trap later.  Too which I say, be confident in your opinions enough to recognize valid reasoning all the way through.  Don't feel threatened by what comes next in someone's opinions.  They are just people like you.

Thank you.

i think I've observed another phenomena i've come to call "filters" that somehow break the connection between  what is  said (meant) and what is heard.

I  tend to look at communication like a radio broadcast system with a transmitter that sends a signal and a receiver that decodes the signal and translates it back into sound.

If the transmission  is garbled, the messaged received will be too.

If the transmission is pure but the  receiver is faulty you might get bits and pieces of the message reproduced but with a lot of static and missing parts.

When i'm being diligent and alert, I try  to speak, then listen to  what is reflected back to me for signs of what was actually "heard" and compare those to what I meant to be heard.

Understanding we all have filters ...assumptions so ingrained we don't even have conscious awareness of how they influence our ability to hear, is a form of  taking responsibility for both  ends of the communication process, and recognizing when the hearer has not understood what we meant....and being alert to where our own filters may be affecting our hearing...

Clear communication between human beings is a  tough thing to achieve....it takes work :)

Edited by Jostler

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

@Jostler

Possibly, we transmit and receive by our perception of that data (perhaps another expression for "filter"). 

A husband comes home and scolds his wife because the cupboards are bare---at the same moment 5000 Syrian children are being gassed to death. Suddenly, the bare cupboards seem meaningless by comparison, and we focus now on the latter instead of the former. 

Edited by Coliseum

Just now, Coliseum said:

@Jostler

Possibly, we transmit and receive by our perception of that data (perhaps another expression for "filter). 

A husband comes home and scolds his wife because the cupboards are bare---at the same moment 5000 Syrian children are being gassed to death. Suddenly, the bare cupboards seem meaningless by comparison, and we focus now on the latter instead of the former. 

i think there are several kinds of  "filters" and that's certainly one of them. 

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,515
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  11

11 minutes ago, Jostler said:

i think I've observed another phenomena i've come to call "filters" that somehow break the connection between  what is  said (meant) and what is heard.

There are those subconscious filters, and then there is what's referred to as "selective hearing" where the message is clearly understood but rejected and consciously altered into what the hearer wants to hear.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Brilliant! 1