• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

Life is like swimming upstream in a river of molasses while others throw cow-patties at your head.

perfect

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

I kind of understand what you are saying, but when whatever truth is pushed off as Dogma  or facts it should have backing and facts behind it. 

That is how we are able to combat Gnosticism(hidden knowledge or truth) and false doctrine.(twisted truth).  We are told repeatedly to not follow Jewish myths and genealogies. Historically extra biblical things that may or may not be true. 

1Ti 1:3  As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain people not to teach false doctrines any longer

1Ti 1:4  or to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. Such things promote controversial speculations rather than advancing God's work—which is by faith.

1Ti 4:7  Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; rather, train yourself to be godly.

Tit 1:14  and will pay no attention to Jewish myths or to the merely human commands of those who reject the truth.

The word of God reveals to us clearly what is truth. God does not hide truth from his born ones. We can all pick up the lamp of the word in this dark world. I say all that to say dogmatic truth had better have a firm backing.
Edited by saved34

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,504
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, saved34 said:

Historically extra biblical things that may or may not be true. 

Very true! But consider, many of extra biblical texts gives us a good idea of what they thought, believed and were taught from oral tradition or witnessed. Every ancient culture has a flood story that is similar to the Bible. Every ancient culture had myths of ancient god's, giants and demigods. Was it all myth and made up from someone with an over active imagination (the whole known world), or is there a kernel or two of truth that can be gleaned? 

• Thumbs Up 1