• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

14 minutes ago, DustyRoad said:

Well said. Something worth touching upon regarding the fate of a forum "scripture bomb" post revolves around the fact that most won't bother reading through it. Hence why bringing this up is fruitful! If a "scripture bomber" inseminates tiny fragments of their own thoughts/words into the pasted morass (my eyes aren't so young these days), rest assured it will be missed.

This can result in needless resentment and possibly fuel strife! Like you say, brother, it's not that there isn't a time and place for lengthy posts... are you kidding? When I was attending college I could write a five paragraph essay in less than ten minutes. I can write about writers writing about writers writing about writing... or thinking about thinking about thinking, which is truly bizarre when you stop to think about it. :blink:

;)

When I was an atheist in college, my first paper was titled, "Exit, Mr. God." Scripture bombing never would have helped.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

4 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Hate to hog a thread here, but will state I have now managed to change all my settings. I have no ignores at all now

Actually, I find I had many on ignore not so much that I do not like what they say, but in order to get  past many frequent posters;  people I have enjoyed reading of and about, in order to more easily find new posters and more quickly get to seeing their thoughts. 

So much  for my problem of being "socially unaware". Sorry about that. So is it "TO THE SHELTERS" for me now?

Take care all. Praise God for this grand ministry that comes our way from Worthy Christian Forums. Where else can I "chat"  and find I am talking with someone from Sweden, Tahiti, and Colorado all at the same time. Do none of us sleep? I know my Los Angeles friends here seem not to sleep.

Well praise the LORD neighbor .   guess I am no longer on ignore .

You know I always loved ya , and frankly don't care what misgivings the pope says about you .

Just put those hands up and rejoice in the LORD .

The scriptures are GOD inspired ,  so I say bombs away .    Though usually I just type away .    I think a certain sister is right ,  I DO need to bring more scrips to back up my points .

Flood the place with scriptures , we got way too many thinkers .   Need much more scripture .

Edited by frienduff thaylorde

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

4 hours ago, maryjayne said:

scripture bombers just post a huge list of scripture, with virtually no comment on it, time and time again. No teaching, or discussion or context or comments. Those are the ones we are talking about on this thread.

Perhaps the thought by the poster is that the scripture speaks. For the scripture teaches and reveals does it not? Maybe they  fear erring by adding  or subtracting from scripture. Maybe they give the reader credit for being able to see the point of the scripture as it applies to the subject at hand, without their needing to  try to expand upon God's fully sufficient word. 

There have been a few times at least when a subject just screamed out for the scripture, and  nothing more, nothing less from me. And so I have credited the other poster as having the  the ability to read and see by God's aid the direct application for their use.

Maybe the bomber(s) see it that way more often than God allows me to see it that way.

Maybe the bomber(s) have it more right than I do when I add my own take on things.

Guess I will soon find out if being bombed  with scripture irritates me. I think it won't, least  not nearly as much as an isolated verse  standing naked without it's surrounding context might and sometimes does.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

6 hours ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

Well praise the LORD neighbor .   guess I am no longer on ignore .

You know I always loved ya , and frankly don't care what misgivings the pope says about you .

Just put those hands up and rejoice in the LORD .

as I wrote: ..."Actually, I find I had many on ignore not so much that I do not like what they say, but in order to get  past many frequent posters;  people I have enjoyed reading of and about, in order to more easily find new posters and more quickly get to seeing their thoughts."

BUT  I will say now that the raise your hands up expression is a tad tiresome to one whose arms do not raise up.  It is to me much like the time VP Joe Biden asked a paralyzed veteran he was praising to stand up and take a bow. Joe was so used to saying stuff like that  to show he was involved that he totally missed out on what he was saying and to whom. It is kinda funny the first time and maybe the second, after that it seems like filler and is just  a reminder that hey my hands do not raise up. 

ps - kinda funny I suppose, raise those hands up, ah nope no can do. 

14 hours ago, Neighbor said:

as I wrote: ..."Actually, I find I had many on ignore not so much that I do not like what they say, but in order to get  past many frequent posters;  people I have enjoyed reading of and about, in order to more easily find new posters and more quickly get to seeing their thoughts."

BUT  I will say now that the raise your hands up expression is a tad tiresome to one whose arms do not raise up.  It is to me much like the time VP Joe Biden asked a paralyzed veteran he was praising to stand up and take a bow. Joe was so used to saying stuff like that  to show he was involved that he totally missed out on what he was saying and to whom. It is kinda funny the first time and maybe the second, after that it seems like filler and is just  a reminder that hey my hands do not raise up. 

Then leap up and dance out praises to the LORD neighbor .    It don't matter what our bodily condition is ,   PRAISE HIM ANYWAY WE CAN .

So leap up and praise the LORD .     

14 hours ago, Neighbor said:

:(    Oh dear neighbor , that just wont do .     Yall are looking at a praise monger .    NOW hands up , leap up , rejoice up IN THE LORD .   and ps ,  don't support biden either .

:shofar::shofar::shofar:

ARISE NEIGHBOR and PRAISE THE LORD .   Let all that has breath praise the LORD  .   Let the praise of the LORD be CONTINUALLY upon our lips .   

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

On 10/24/2019 at 3:02 PM, OneLight said:

Discussing scripture is not scripture bombing, in fact, it is what we should do.  I had thought everyone would know what scripture bombing is, but I was wrong.  Here is one site I found that explains it pretty well.  The explanation is pretty short and an easy read.

http://www.faithmeetsworld.com/scripture-bombing/

I strongly disagree with the position of "scripture bombing."

Individual scripture needs to be interpreted considering not only the entire chapter in which it is found, then the book in which it is found (for proper context), and finally the verse must be considered within the Bible as a whole; Hanging a major theological position on such a small nail (one verse) will not hold.

To draw a scriptural interpretation based on just one verse in the entire chapter in which it is found could do great violence to the actual meaning that was intended. A good example of this tactic is found in 1 Corinthians 11, where vs. 15 is commonly singled out to conclude a woman's hair is her covering and disregarding the rest of the other 14 verses - half a chapter of Holy Scripture!  I'm not going into detail about that here I wrote a separate post on this recently.

1 Corinthians 11:1-16 (KJV)
15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

When I was in school I was expected to have adequate support for my theological position. This meant having more than just one or two scriptures of the bible supporting my interpretation, so "scripture bombing" I guess was required to pass the class?

I guess most commentaries would be considered "scripture bombing."  The Treasures from the Scriptures Commentaries would make Rod Mattoon the Uni-bomber of scripture bombing the way he references all his works.

Edited by Servant of the Lord
typos & remove double post
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

double post

Edited by Servant of the Lord