IGNORED

Does sin separate us from God?

2 minutes ago, Alive said:

That is not what I meant. The 'teaching' comes from an unworthy vessel that is nothing but a 'faucet' turned on as He wills.

Anything of any value has its source in Him.

Okie doke. Well I am extremely grateful that God would Love me, choose me and save me from this wretched place. To have a heart purified is the single most anticipated event that any human could ever hope for. My gratitude is through the roof and I cannot imagine possessing a nonchalant attitude about it. Man oh man.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.54
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

1 minute ago, Thess said:

Okie doke. Well I am extremely grateful that God would Love me, choose me and save me from this wretched place. To have a heart purified is the single most anticipated event that any human could ever hope for. My gratitude is through the roof and I cannot imagine possessing a nonchalant attitude about it. Man oh man.

You don't understand my intent. Saying what I do, doesn't mean that I don't have profound gratitude. You made an assumption.

Something is amiss.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

On 12/7/2019 at 4:08 AM, Open7 said:

My questions is a bit more specific than in the heading. I will say a statement but I want to get peoples opinions to see if what I am saying is biblically accurate.

Since the death of Jesus, our sins do not separate us from God because there is no condemnation for those in Christ. So that being said, sin does not separate God from us, however sin can and does separate us from him. In the sense that we are still sinners and are still affected by it and if we sin a lot it makes us ‘feel’ distant from to God, however it does not distance God to us, if that makes sense.

in Isaiah 59:2 is says that “your iniquities have separated you from God”. So before Jesus sin affected Gods relationship with us, and our relationship with him. But now, being in Christ, it does not affect our relationship from God to us, but it can affect our relationship still from us to him.

How does this sound?

Read and pray as a single passage of scripture. Do so over and over until you get the gist that this is the answer to your prayer and how believers deal with sins committed after being saved:

1 John 1:5–2:17 (NASB95)
5 This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth;
7 but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.
8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.
1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;
2 and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.
3 By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments.
4 The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him;
5 but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him:
6 the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.
7 Beloved, I am not writing a new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning; the old commandment is the word which you have heard.
8 On the other hand, I am writing a new commandment to you, which is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true Light is already shining.
9 The one who says he is in the Light and yet hates his brother is in the darkness until now.
10 The one who loves his brother abides in the Light and there is no cause for stumbling in him.
11 But the one who hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going because the darkness has blinded his eyes.
12 I am writing to you, little children, because your sins have been forgiven you for His name’s sake.
13 I am writing to you, fathers, because you know Him who has been from the beginning. I am writing to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one. I have written to you, children, because you know the Father.
14 I have written to you, fathers, because you know Him who has been from the beginning. I have written to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one.
15 Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world.
17 The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

When researching in the new testament.  I noticed that the word sin can be used as both a noun or a verb.

If sin is a noun, it is something we possess, like a car, a house. It does not clarify when we got this object. We could have bought the car 5 years ago.  It is simply something we possess.  When a verse says we have sin it is saying we committed a sin and now we have that on our asset list.  

A verse that uses it as a noun is

1 john1:9"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness

Sin can also be used as a verb.  When we see it as a verb then it's talking about sinning . With that, we have to look at the tense of the word and quantity. 

For example,  1 John 2:1 ( notice the"if")

"My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin(plural)not. And if any man sin (singular), we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

Roman's 3:23

"For all have sinned, (past tense) and come short of the glory of God;"

(I have seen many quote this as all sin)

Hebrew  10:26-27

"For if we sin ( verb plural present) wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins (noun plural), But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries."

The conclusion is that I do not see anything of a life of sinning compatible with bible teachings. 

Edited by Georged

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

On 12/7/2019 at 5:08 AM, Open7 said:

But now, being in Christ, it does not affect our relationship from God to us,

I believe we still have to share, and learn to love.

Matthew chapter 25

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  56
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

By definition sin does separate us from God.  However, this statement is incredibly broad and must be qualified for accuracy sake.  As we have read, there is sin that completely separates us from God (ie-mortal sin) and sin which injures our relationship with Him but does not totally separate (ie-venial sin).  The remedy for all sin is the acceptance of divine forgiveness, preceded by contrition and repentance signifying a firm resolution against repeat offense.  God will always welcome us back after we have strayed.  His love for us is infinite.  Until we take our last breath no sin is too great to be forgiven if our repentance is sincere.  So yes, God is always there for us, but through sin we may sever that free, perfectly loving, eternal relationship.  However, if we accept that Christ died for our sins, was raised as a new non-corrupted being, and accept His offer of salvation by trusting in Him solely, then we will be ushered into a new relationship, imperfect while on earth, and perfectly after death.  The good news is that it's never too late; until it is.  So, reconcile today for we know not the hour or day. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

There is consequences for our sin.

Question: "If Jesus paid the price for our sin, why do we still suffer the consequences of our sin?"

Answer: 
The Bible gives the good news that Jesus paid the price for our sin (Ephesians 1:7), yet in many ways we still suffer the consequences of our sins. For example, a drug dealer may become a Christian in prison, but that doesn’t mean he will be released from prison the next day—he will still experience the consequences of his past sin. A born-again Christian who falls into adultery may lose his family, his career, etc.—even after he confesses and forsakes his sin, the consequences of his sin remain. Coming to Christ does not erase the temporal effects of sin; rather, our salvation guarantees that we will not face the eternal consequences of sin.

The consequence of sin is death (Romans 6:23a). As sinners, we deserve to be eternally separated from God and His holiness. On the cross Christ paid the penalty of our sin with His own blood. He who knew no sin was made to be sin on our behalf (2 Corinthians 5:21). On the basis of Christ’s perfect sacrifice, those who believe are no longer under God’s condemnation (Romans 8:1).

It’s important to understand that, when the believer in Christ experiences consequences for sin, it is not because he is under God’s condemnation (Romans 8:1), His wrath (1 Thessalonians 5:9), or His retribution (2 Thessalonians 1:8). Believers are under God’s grace (Romans 6:15). Jesus took the wrath of God upon Himself (Isaiah 53:10). Sin’s consequences still experienced by believers could be classified in one of these ways:

Universal consequences. Some of sin’s consequences are experienced perpetually by every human being on earth, because we are all children of Adam. We all have weeds growing in our gardens, we all face natural disasters, we all get sick and grow old, and we all eventually die physically (Romans 5:12). As sinners living in a sinful world, there’s no avoiding these consequences of original sin.

Natural consequences. We live in a world of cause and effect, where the law of sowing and reaping is in full effect. Some of sin’s consequences are built-in and practically guaranteed, no matter if the sinner is saved or unsaved. The Bible warns that sexual immorality is a sin committed against one’s own body (1 Corinthians 6:18). “Can a man scoop fire into his lap without his clothes being burned?” (Proverbs 6:27). If you steal something, you should expect to get caught and face the natural consequences that follow the sin of theft. If you resist arrest when you get caught, you pile on more consequences. Sowing and reaping.

Instructional consequences. Very likely, God allows some of sin’s consequences to remain in our lives to teach us the heinous nature of sin and to remind us to depend upon God’s grace. Sin is a serious enough problem for God to have sent His Son into the world to die. We dare not take sin lightly. In the face of sin’s consequences, we humble ourselves and seek God’s kingdom and righteousness all the more (see Matthew 6:33). When Ananias and Sapphira were disciplined for their sin, it was instructive for the church: “Great fear seized the whole church and all who heard about these events” (Acts 5:11). See also 1 Corinthians 5:5 and 1 Timothy 1:20.

Disciplinary consequences. Some of sin’s consequences are the result of God’s treating us as a father should his children. There’s a difference between a penalty for sin and discipline for sin. As God’s children, we experience discipline designed to guide us back to the right path. “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son” (Hebrews 12:5–6; cf. Proverbs 3:11–12). Note how many of God’s children undergo discipline: “everyone” (Hebrews 12:8). We are all wayward at times. God’s purpose in allowing us to experience disciplinary consequences of sin, true to His nature, is perfect: “God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness” (Hebrews 12:10).

The church of Corinth provides an example of Christians facing the disciplinary consequences of their sin: in partaking of the Lord’s Table in an unworthy manner, they brought God’s displeasure: “That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep” (1 Corinthians 11:30). We see similar disciplinary action taken in 2 Samuel 12. Even after David confessed his sin and was forgiven, God allowed certain consequences to befall David and his household (verses 11–14).

God allows us to experience some of the temporal consequences of sin to show His love for us. If God never disciplined His straying children, He would not be a good Father. If we were never disciplined or never suffered the consequences for our wrong action, we would never learn right from wrong. We tend to learn from our mistakes more readily than we learn from our successes.

Praise the Lord for His goodness. He allows us to experience the temporal consequences of sin (for our own good). But He has saved us from the eternal consequences of sin. Jesus paid the penalty for our sins so we will never experience the second death, which is the lake of fire (Revelation 20:14). Believers in Christ are promised that the curse and consequences of sin will be completely removed one day, and “nothing will hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain” (Isaiah 11:9, NLT).

https://www.gotquestions.org/sin-consequences.html

Edited by missmuffet
  • Well Said! 1

• 4 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 12/7/2019 at 10:08 AM, Open7 said:

My questions is a bit more specific than in the heading. I will say a statement but I want to get peoples opinions to see if what I am saying is biblically accurate.

Since the death of Jesus, our sins do not separate us from God because there is no condemnation for those in Christ. So that being said, sin does not separate God from us, however sin can and does separate us from him. In the sense that we are still sinners and are still affected by it and if we sin a lot it makes us ‘feel’ distant from to God, however it does not distance God to us, if that makes sense.

in Isaiah 59:2 is says that “your iniquities have separated you from God”. So before Jesus sin affected Gods relationship with us, and our relationship with him. But now, being in Christ, it does not affect our relationship from God to us, but it can affect our relationship still from us to him.

How does this sound?

Christians follow the majority of the Jewish law, we believe in the messiah and the triune God, etc. We also follow most of the law, where it applies to our day. Jesus is the "lamb sacrifice" that we cast our sins onto to be forgiven. His teaching teaches us to be exactly like God, act in the way he does, love like he does, Hate sin like he does, etc.