• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Hello everyone!

I've been struggling with a lot and I'm going to try to sum it up here.

I recently graduated college, but I haven't gotten a job in my field yet. This has lead to a lot of frustration from myself and my family. I struggle with finding another job that is right for me. And my dad has said that I seem depressed, mentally ill and like a non-believer. I don't know if I am these things or not, which is scaring me. I want to feel encouraged about my job situation. I want to have more ambition with my current job and when I pursue other hobbies. But most of all, I want to be fully confident that I am saved and a child of God. I keep doubting myself and falling back into bad habits. I appreciate your prayers and support. Please give your input on this. I'm really afraid. Take care and God bless.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praying! 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

33 minutes ago, adoptedwatcher said:

Hello everyone!

I recently graduated college, but I haven't gotten a job in my field yet. This has lead to a lot of frustration from myself and my family. I struggle with finding another job that is right for me. And my dad has said that I seem depressed, mentally ill and like a non-believer. I don't know if I am these things or not, which is scaring me. I want to feel encouraged about my job situation. I want to have more ambition with my current job and when I pursue other hobbies. But most of all, I want to be fully confident that I am saved and a child of God. I keep doubting myself and falling back into bad habits. I appreciate your prayers and support. Please give your input on this. I'm really afraid. Take care and God bless.

Dear sister,

First, congratulations in graduating college. That is something to be proud of. Jesus knows all about your struggles. After all, He permitted them, and for a good reason: to build you up by standing firm in your faith. You are an overcomer. Paul probably had the hardest life of all, yet he finally came to the conclusion that he could be ok in any circumstances---whether well-fed or hungry. I had no job for nearly 10 years. Was it hard? Sure it was. Jesus wanted to know what my response would be. I had down times---really down times. But what would I do? That is where God wants us---trusting Him---not ourselves. Jesus said we would have problems in this world. I think he meant it, don't you? 

When we are on the mountaintop, no food grows there; there is no nourishment. But when He puts us in the valley for a time, it is lush with food for our soul. Jesus had nowhere to lay his head, and he wants us to understand what that's like. Everyone who has it all now, who is living it up and partying and enjoying their wealth, who want nothing more---will have nothing more. But we who give it all up for Christ's sake, are waiting for a kingdom of riches we cannot fathom. 

"If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." There are no conditions. Our responsibility is to believe it. You said, "I want to be fully confident that I am saved and a child of God." What did Jesus say, "If you say to this mountain, 'Go throw yourself into the sea,' and do not doubt, but believe (there's that word "believe" again) in your heart that what you said will happen, it will be done for you. I say to you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe you have received it and it will be yours." Don't make it complicated. Jesus said his yoke was easy. Believe him. :)

• Loved it! 2
  • Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,413
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

2 hours ago, adoptedwatcher said:

Hello everyone!

To touch on some earthly elements of this there could be some generation gap issues coming into play, and certainly some modern world issues. Degree inflation is definitely a thing, as are other factors like automation and what seems like an increasingly cut throat and big city focused job market. In several ways it's not the same job market your parents grew up with and a college degree isn't quite what it used to be either. Honestly it's probably natural to feel some depression with things being as they are, and as many here on the forum can attest mental illness and depression are hardly unique to non-believers. Based on what you've said it sounds like your depression is grounded in some very legit reasons.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, adoptedwatcher said:

But most of all, I want to be fully confident that I am saved and a child of God.

Shalom adopted, 

What would you say the biggest barrier is for you in accepting this? If you HAD to say something. 

Love & Shalom 

• Loved it! 1

8 hours ago, Tzephanyahu said:

What would you say the biggest barrier is for you in accepting this? If you HAD to say something. 

Shalom Tzephanyahu,

The biggest barrier for me to accept this, is myself. I overthink and don't take enough action. I'm unable to go to church and don't take the initiative to feed myself the Word on a regular basis. If I did, I'm sure I wouldn't feel this doubt and fear anymore. It's hard to get used to reading the Bible though. I make excuses or find a reason to not read more than a few verses. It's so shameful to admit, but I must reach out to someone now while there is time. When I was little, it was so easy and clear to accept God and my relationship with him. Now that I am older, I must get back to that mindset I used to have. Reading the Bible, praying, and watching sermons consistently seems like my best options. Thank you for asking this question. It's so obvious now what I need to do to stop doubting.

9 hours ago, AnOrangeCat said:

To touch on some earthly elements of this there could be some generation gap issues coming into play, and certainly some modern world issues. Degree inflation is definitely a thing, as are other factors like automation and what seems like an increasingly cut throat and big city focused job market. In several ways it's not the same job market your parents grew up with and a college degree isn't quite what it used to be either. Honestly it's probably natural to feel some depression with things being as they are, and as many here on the forum can attest mental illness and depression are hardly unique to non-believers. Based on what you've said it sounds like your depression is grounded in some very legit reasons.

Thank you so much AnOrangeCat! That makes a lot of sense. I don't know for certain if I have depression, but if I do then there is a clear reason why.

Edited by adoptedwatcher
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Coliseum said:
11 hours ago, adoptedwatcher said:

Hello everyone!

Dear sister,

First, congratulations in graduating college. That is something to be proud of. Jesus knows all about your struggles. After all, He permitted them, and for a good reason: to build you up by standing firm in your faith. You are an overcomer. Paul probably had the hardest life of all, yet he finally came to the conclusion that he could be ok in any circumstances---whether well-fed or hungry. I had no job for nearly 10 years. Was it hard? Sure it was. Jesus wanted to know what my response would be. I had down times---really down times. But what would I do? That is where God wants us---trusting Him---not ourselves. Jesus said we would have problems in this world. I think he meant it, don't you? 

When we are on the mountaintop, no food grows there; there is no nourishment. But when He puts us in the valley for a time, it is lush with food for our soul. Jesus had nowhere to lay his head, and he wants us to understand what that's like. Everyone who has it all now, who is living it up and partying and enjoying their wealth, who want nothing more---will have nothing more. But we who give it all up for Christ's sake, are waiting for a kingdom of riches we cannot fathom. 

"If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." There are no conditions. Our responsibility is to believe it. You said, "I want to be fully confident that I am saved and a child of God." What did Jesus say, "If you say to this mountain, 'Go throw yourself into the sea,' and do not doubt, but believe (there's that word "believe" again) in your heart that what you said will happen, it will be done for you. I say to you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe you have received it and it will be yours." Don't make it complicated. Jesus said his yoke was easy. Believe him.

Thank you Coliseum. I really appreciate you sharing your experience with difficult job situations. and I love your supportive reminder of what God has told us in order to be saved. It is true, I makes things more complicated than they are. I sometimes ask myself what it means to believe. I know that I believed with no doubt at all when I was little. I must get back to how I was then. To believe as a child believes. Thank you again for your words. God bless you.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

11 hours ago, adoptedwatcher said:

Hello everyone!

Jobs are difficult to find today. You are feeling discouraged. Give all of your frustations to God. He knows what you are dealing with and He wants to help you. You do not need to negative feedback from your father. You need his understanding and support. 

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

55 minutes ago, adoptedwatcher said:

It's hard to get used to reading the Bible though. I make excuses or find a reason to not read more than a few verses.

Shalom adopted, 

Thank you for your honesty. 

It's a vicious cycle.  We don't read the Word and we feel distant from Yahweh, and we feel distant from Yahweh because we don't read the Word. 

However, if you submot yourself under its "yoke", even though it might feel like work at first, it will soon become a joy and Yahweh will direct your steps in all things.

So study the word with the same diligence as a master's degree. Feed on it like it is mana for your spirit because without it your spirit burns dimly. Learn the characters, visualise the scenes, ask questions-always.  I don't mean the letters of Paul or the Gospels, but all of it. Old and new testament. 

If you need a guide how to read through it chronologically (an epic journey) see the reading plan here. Remember, always read it with no preconceived ideas - as if its the first time you've read it - then you will see more. 

If you are looking for inspiration why to bother reading it through again, if the idea isn't appealing, read this article here about how to get more out of reading it. 

1 hour ago, adoptedwatcher said:

don't take the initiative to feed myself the Word on a regular basis. If I did, I'm sure I wouldn't feel this doubt and fear anymore

You got it my friend. He is shining a that lighthouse to you as He is calling you back to Him.  Great peace, joy, clarity and purpose are given to those who seek Him, so make it your priority above all things and then all things will be established. 

I was in your position a few years ago. No way out, finding the Word hard work, confused over many things.  But once I humbled myself under the Word and its teaching as a true life-manual, He cleared the way. HalleluYah! 

This verse is for you at this time:

"Trust in the Yahweh with all your heart,
    and do not lean on your own understanding.
 In all your ways acknowledge him,
    and he will make straight your paths"

- Proverbs 3:5-6

Love & Shalom 

• Praise God! 1

59 minutes ago, Tzephanyahu said:

You got it my friend. He is shining a that lighthouse to you as He is calling you back to Him.  Great peace, joy, clarity and purpose are given to those who seek Him, so make it your priority above all things and then all things will be established. 

I was in your position a few years ago. No way out, finding the Word hard work, confused over many things.  But once I humbled myself under the Word and its teaching as a true life-manual, He cleared the way. HalleluYah! 

Thank you so much Tzephanyahu! For your advice and your wonderful testimony. You're such a blessing. I'm so grateful for your help. I'll check out that plan and make sure to give this my full attention. God bless you!

Edited by adoptedwatcher
  • Praise God! 1