Coliseum

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

There were two lawyers who were partners, one named Will and the other Tom. One night, during a tabernacle revival meeting, down the aisle went the lawyer Will, confessing Christ as his Savior publicly. Early the next morning Will got up to go to his office and gather together his personal belongings. He wanted to dissolve the partnership, thinking in his heart, “My partner Tom is a bitter critic of the church and of Christ and of God. I do not think I can stand his ridicule, sarcasm, and all of those bitter things he says about God.”

On the way down the street he met the last man in the world he wanted to see, his partner Tom. Tom looked at him and said, “Will, why are you up so early, and where are you going?” Will replied, “Tom, last night I gave my heart to Christ. I know how you feel about God and Christ and the church. I just do not think I can live under your bitter and sarcastic criticism. So I got up early this morning, before you would be down, to gather my things and dissolve the partnership.”

Tom replied, “Will, you did not know it, nor did anyone know it, but last night I went to that meeting and stood outside the tabernacle. I saw you go down the aisle, give your hand to the preacher, stand before the people, and confess your faith in God. You and I have been partners all these years. We have always stood side by side. We have been through numerous cases, trials, and difficulties. Will, when I saw you standing up there by yourself last night, it just seemed to me that I ought to be standing by your side. The reason I have come early this morning is that I thought maybe you would teach me how to become a Christian.”

….Pastor Criswell

"And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony: and they loved not their lives unto the death." Rev 12:11

• Loved it! 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,307
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

I was thinking on similar thoughts today.   What kind of fisher of men are we?   Are we the type of Christian that helps draw others to Christ....or are we the type that drives others away from Christ? 

As a Christian, I've sometimes (thankfully very rarely) met an ugly Christian.   As a Christian, we continue in faith....but consider the person who knows nothing of Christ.   Will they be driven away by such behavior?

Of course, I like to think that a true believer will always be loving as the Lord taught us to be to each other and also to our neighbors.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

26 minutes ago, Debp said:

I was thinking on similar thoughts today.   What kind of fisher of men are we?   Are we the type of Christian that helps draw others to Christ....or are we the type that drives others away from Christ? 

As a Christian, I've sometimes (thankfully very rarely) met an ugly Christian.   As a Christian, we continue in faith....but consider the person who knows nothing of Christ.   Will they be driven away by such behavior?

Of course, I like to think that a true believer will always be loving as the Lord taught us to be to each other and also to our neighbors.

Every situation is different of course, and each person receives information differently. The truth, spoken in love, can be very gentle, and sometimes it needs to be very point blank. Paul loved Peter, but Peter was becoming entangled and became afraid of the Judaizers when he came to Antioch. Paul had to harshly and publicly rebuke him to his face. We are sometimes very fearful that we are not being loving if we defend with passion the Gospel of Christ, but on such occasions we must. Another sad feature---taken out of context---is that when we do, the recipient takes it personally and becomes angry and distant and defensive, and prideful. Many times such deception goes unnoticed, and it transforms us without our ever realizing it. I find it unbeneficial to continue, and move on. This moving on demonstrates to new believers that it is okay to defend, but not to act defensively to prove you must be right. 

Edited by Coliseum
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,307
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

Of course, we must contend for the faith.   I was referring to "Christians" that act unkindly towards others.   This should not be.

love-bible-verse-1.jpg.c1b7255c63c1c2e7e79c3cf89cc39ffb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, DustyRoad said:

It's the norm where I live, @Debp. Believe me, I've spent much time praying and feeling terrible about having nothing to do with the so-called Christians who occupy the church buildings in the little town down the highway from here. I know their fruit and it's full of worms... or do I lack the faith to see? I suspect the latter is the truth.

I disagree...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  263
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  1

8 hours ago, Coliseum said:

There were two lawyers who were partners, one named Will and the other Tom. One night, during a tabernacle revival meeting, down the aisle went the lawyer Will, confessing Christ as his Savior publicly. Early the next morning Will got up to go to his office and gather together his personal belongings. He wanted to dissolve the partnership, thinking in his heart, “My partner Tom is a bitter critic of the church and of Christ and of God. I do not think I can stand his ridicule, sarcasm, and all of those bitter things he says about God.”

On the way down the street he met the last man in the world he wanted to see, his partner Tom. Tom looked at him and said, “Will, why are you up so early, and where are you going?” Will replied, “Tom, last night I gave my heart to Christ. I know how you feel about God and Christ and the church. I just do not think I can live under your bitter and sarcastic criticism. So I got up early this morning, before you would be down, to gather my things and dissolve the partnership.”

Tom replied, “Will, you did not know it, nor did anyone know it, but last night I went to that meeting and stood outside the tabernacle. I saw you go down the aisle, give your hand to the preacher, stand before the people, and confess your faith in God. You and I have been partners all these years. We have always stood side by side. We have been through numerous cases, trials, and difficulties. Will, when I saw you standing up there by yourself last night, it just seemed to me that I ought to be standing by your side. The reason I have come early this morning is that I thought maybe you would teach me how to become a Christian.”

….Pastor Criswell

"And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony: and they loved not their lives unto the death." Rev 12:11

I was just a few hours ago trying to encourage my 16 year old cousin to become a female evangelist. Though sometimes  I absolutely cringe at some of the things I have said to Christian youth; incredibly unchristian garbage. However I know I will be a net positive influence only because of  the sweet Holy Spirit , and Jesus and our Father.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

I think we can be a Christian influence by showing the fruit of the Holy Spirit. By what we say and what we do. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1