IGNORED

What is your interpretation of this scripture?

joebloggs

• Group:  Catholic
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  89
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

I don't put my faith in the Bible. I put my faith in God.

Your faith in God in based on the Bible, isn't it?  How else did you learn about God?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

4 minutes ago, RogerDC said:

Eve's mistake was not to consult a higher authority re what the serpent told her - her husband or God Himself.

Sure. Satan as the serpent being made sure Eve was alone and vulnerable. She was weakened into temptation more easily in this manner. 

6 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

If you walked into my church, and I ordered you to keep silent, would you think I'd crossed a line?

Not if you had a good reason.

Thanks for the discussion. G'nite, bro. 

1497816541_nite-nitesmiley.gif.6601a0aa269316858427509bc85c4bbe.gif

9 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

Sure. Satan as the serpent being made sure Eve was alone and vulnerable. She was weakened into temptation more easily in this manner. 

I agree.  Plus, Satan knew the woman's weakness - ie, she would be easier to deceive than the man.  Having deceived the woman, Satan knew how to use her as "bait" to corrupt the man - because the man's weakness was to please the woman, so he went along with her fruit-eating idea. 

26 minutes ago, DustyRoad said:

Reading the third chapter of Genesis, here's what I find in the narrative: Adam sinned. 

I'm not finding any mention of "the man's weakness to please the woman" anywhere in the narrative. Can you direct me to where that appears? 

God gave us brains to reason with, such as drawing conclusions based on what we know about the nature of men - it's not a sin to use our brains.

4 hours ago, DustyRoad said:

I'm not quite understanding where you're coming from with this. My understanding of Genesis 3 appears to differ greatly from yours. When I read those verses I see how Eve was deceived by the serpent; and then we have Adam, who had been told by the Lord not to eat that fruit, eating the fruit after she did. 

How is any of this Eve's fault, @BeauJangles? Did the Lord cut Adam some slack, declaring Eve to be the guiltier party? Where was her vulnerability to deception due to being alone described? 

I don't recall reading that the serpent was alone with Eve, do you? I read through Genesis 3 once more and I don't find that mentioned anywhere... so where exactly is this teaching coming from? :confused:

I really dread this topic, but since this quote of notifications did come through this morning's email, let me say this. Yes, the Lord commanded Adam not to eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Let's assume wisely he did tell Eve, or she could have unknowingly eaten it. She did tell the serpent more or less, "The Lord said, Do not eat the fruit thereof, for the day you do, ye shall die." Sorry for the paraphrase. Close enough though, correct? So, she already knew not to do that. Now, there must have been some moments Adam and Eve spent separately. Why? Because there's no mention of the two of them being together when the serpent approached her. That made her more vulnerable and prone to suggestive temptation. Or, perhaps I'm incorrect about that were they together at the time? I kinda doubt it. Was she more to blame for being the first to give in to the temptation, therefore to blame moreover than Adam? No, or course not. Not in my opinion anyway. Sorry for the block style post here. I usually break into necessary paragraphs, but I would also like a quick and painless end to the topic. This one has been played out for far too long, and this post was also written in haste. Somebody put a lock on this one, please?  

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  415
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

Women to be Silent

1Cor 14:34,35 Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

What about women who prophecy?  Didn't he  previously say that  prophets are allowed to speak - but in an orderly fashion? And doesn'tt he say in a few verses, "my brothers, be eager to prophesy"? But these are referring to men. Throughout the Bible, both Old and New Testament, the term "prophet" is never applied to a woman who prophecies. In every case the Bible uses the term "prophetess". So in this case concerning the public assembly of the Christians, prophetesses are not allowed to speak.

This is an application of the principles he spoke of in chapter 11 whereby "the head of the woman is man" 1Cor 11:3b and likewise he says with regards to the assignment of roles in the church, "A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve." 1Tim 2:11-13 Again he alludes to Biblical concept of male headship in defense of this application. It is not a matter of culture, but "as the Law says"

Women are to play a role subordinate to men. Her role is one of  submission, just as Jesus was subordinate to the Father. Her beauty "should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight." 1Peter 3:4

However with regards to speaking, what he's referring to is speaking in an official capacity - like those in the church who prophecy in the public assembly. It's disgraceful for women to usurp authority over men through such public teaching. The implication is that women are not to be pastors over men nor even so much as to teach Sunday School classes where men are involved. However "older women are to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God." Titus 2:3-5 Women are to teach children and other women. Consequently it would be good for churches to have separate Bible studies for women lead by women so that they could more freely practice their spiritual gifts with regards to speaking.

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

10 hours ago, RogerDC said:

Where do the Scriptures say Deborah was "in charge of Israel"?   As far I can tell, she was  a prophetess through whom God advised Israel on how to deal with an enemy on one occasion on one day.

She judged Israel.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

10 hours ago, RogerDC said:

Your faith in God in based on the Bible, isn't it?  How else did you learn about God?

God and Jesus are quoted many times in the Bible. I trust the Bible to give an accurate account.