• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

This is spreading hate and lies. If I get ban from this post for saying that so be it. But it has to be said. To accuse another group of people of falsehood dose nothing but spread hate for that group. Something Christians should not be part of doing. 

and

It's all inter-related.  

You're becoming offended because you cannot logically follow the discussion. 

This is where it starts to go wrong. Stick to the subject(s) and please cease with getting personal. Threads evolve sometimes, and topic change or grow with related nuance. I do suggest though that the topic is Government and Marriage, so try to see that your posts are about that, check them, before clicking "Submit Reply".

I have no desire to ban people, nor lock or delete the thread. How it proceeds, will affect the outcome. If one cannot handle the complexities, nor stick to a topic (both are troublesome) or avoid getting personal and either aggressive or defensive, consider bowing out, or taking a break, or some other form of self control. Don't make it personal, nor take it personally, and I will not feel compelled to intervene.

Thanks! 

1 minute ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

and

This is where it starts to go wrong. Stick to the subject(s) and please cease with getting personal. Threads evolve sometimes, and topic change or grow with related nuance. I do suggest though that the topic is Government and Marriage, so try to see that your posts are about that, check them, before clicking "Submit Reply".

I have no desire to ban people, nor lock or delete the thread. How it proceeds, will affect the outcome. If one cannot handle the complexities, nor stick to a topic (both are troublesome) or avoid getting personal and either aggressive or defensive, consider bowing out, or taking a break, or some other form of self control. Don't make it personal, nor take it personally, and I will not feel compelled to intervene.

Thanks! 

Thanks.  I think this thread has pretty much run its course.  

Just now, K9Buck said:

Thanks.  I think this thread has pretty much run its course.  

Would you recommend that I lock it from further participation, I would gladly do that!

3 minutes ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Would you recommend that I lock it from further participation, I would gladly do that!

Thanks for the offer.  I have no preference, but I think I've said all that I need to say.  It's your call, of course.  Thanks again.

Well, I happen to agree, that it has likely run it's course, and in that assessment, it is probably just as well that it gets locked, all to the topics and thoughts are preserved, for good or for ill, for future reference and accessibility.  I like that at times, when a thread I have participated in gets locked That way if I think I said something of value, I can quote myself and save a lot of work repeating myself later.

By the way, as a personal opinion, I think that God instituted marriage, the God of the Bible, not the God of Islam, or Mormonism, etc. Biblical marriage is not complicate, one man, one woman, one flesh! That was God's original intention, though clearly He later was willing to permit multiple wives, except for kings.

I am not big on Government dictating who may or may not be married, but I do not mind of course, when government reflects MY views. 

I recognize also, that God has allowed governments to exist, and even does that as an extension of His will:

1 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, 4 for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God’s wrath but also for the sake of conscience. 6 For because of this you also pay taxes, for the authorities are ministers of God, attending to this very thing. 7 Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honor to whom honor is owed.

I am okay with the idea, that government may perform marriages, and even have laws regarding them. I would oppose the notion that only the government has the ability to marry.

I problem exists though, at least in my mind, that just anyone, on a whim, can marry who they want went they want. Laws can be useful. The alternative of government, practically, is anarchy and chaos.

I do not want to see society in such a state, that a person can marry another person, without the consent the another person, of where the person is too immature to act with wisdom. That is why I think it is good that we have age limits (unless there is some sort of maturity test, like emancipated minors) and I would not perhaps be that opposed to setting those limit around 25. Realistically, in my society (the U.S.) most people in their young 20s lack wisdom, understanding, experience, etc, to enter into a lifetime contract (as God intended) like marriage.

I also find it a bit unnerving, that a person could by choice, marry their rape victim, their dog, their tree, or a rock, and declare them as beneficiary on their tax form, or get entitlements to taxpayer funded benefits. With the evil in mankind, lawlessness has not limits to what can happen.