• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  0

On 2/1/2020 at 3:16 PM, CaptWalker said:

Well I know this is probably not the norm as far as questions posed here, but lately have really been wondering about just how far you should go in following where you feel God is leading you. So i'll just get straight to it by asking would HE ever expect you to live almost entirely with your credit card or should you wait until you have the necessary funds to do what you feel called to? In other words, I am feeling "led" to relocate to another city across the country but barely have enough to even eat on, so my main expenses(lodging,gas,etc) would all be on credit. And I already owe almost $300 and am afraid if i don't make the minimum $25 payment that my card may start being declined? And i would have to secure some kind of job first just to have any hope of getting back to where i can sustain myself with a regular income. And even though i do have the faith to believe God will provide what i need for the most part, but at the same time He is not obliged to bail us out of certain situations that we get ourselves in without first seeking His counsel or the "OK" to go ahead with those plans. And i am very aware of what the Bible says about Usury, so no need to remind me unless you just feel led to quote some of those scriptures in order to maybe help someone else better understand God's views on this. And apparently there is actually such a thing as a dumb question, or at least an unnecessary one, but am hoping i would be given a pass on that HERE...:unsure:

There is a difference between tempting G-d, and being led by faith.

Jumping off this cliff, I have faith that G-d can save me, and protect me from smashing into the rocks below.   That does not mean, I jump off the side of a cliff and put G-d to the test.

It may be that G-d had directly called you to move, and if that is the case, then you should do as you are called to do.  However, if this is something you wish to do, then you need to consider wisely how to accomplish this.  First, I would get some money saved up where you are.   I would pay off your debts now, and save a few dollars before going.   Alternatively, I would have a job at the location you are going to, before you go there.

But I would not just pack up and leave, without having a clear plan in place.  If you fail to land a job, and you charged everything on credit or loans, you could end up in a very bad situation.

As for credit itself..... There is nothing evil, or sinful, about borrowing money.  It's just simply a bad idea, and a great way to stay impoverished, and enslaved to the lender.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  440
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  03/20/1970

Thanks for that advice, and it's kind of a confirmation for what i was thinking also. I think my biggest problem is not knowing whether i would be putting God to the test or not by doing this, even if i did have the money? Just sometimes it's like God is keeping me in the dark for some reason but maybe that's my fault because i'm just not ready or still need to work on some things in my life? 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Money is the commodity of life in this fallen world. It takes many forms. The paper and coin exchange we tend to think of automatically at the mere mention of money. Credit, or deferrals, or taxation, or any number of financial gymnastics employed to gain or maintain this element of power and / or possession is money.

IMHO, credit is a cheat in and of itself that started out as a loan (which the Bible cautions against in Proverbs) but as with most human dealings is a necessary evil. Today, unless you are ready willing and able to build your own house, or are privy to a handsome inheritances... you must go into debt / credit to finance a home. Cars are the same way. This has spilled over into individual purchases of most things and has easily placed people in deep financial debt (as it was actually designed to do by the creditors).

Not to worry, in some form or other, we are typically at the mercy of money boys (I call them) in every aspect of money (even cash). It is the way of the world.    

Thankfully there is a God in heaven who oversees the affairs and well being of man.

I do not know if his website is still up and running, but I learned a lot about money from the late Larry Burkett who founded Christian Financial Concepts in Georgia. Just checked... the site lives on and I have not checked it out to see if it has continued on the  path laid down by it's founder (unlike the Christian Research Institute, sadly).

Christian Financial Concepts

My point is do not kick yourselves for doing what you must to survive.

Learn biblical concepts and principles and apply them when you can seeking the Lord's guidance, blessing, and favor.

If anyone is a cheat about anything... study the life of Jacob / Israel and you will get biblical insights.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

On 2/1/2020 at 12:16 PM, CaptWalker said:

So i'll just get straight to it by asking would HE ever expect you to live almost entirely with your credit card or should you wait until you have the necessary funds to do what you feel called to? In other words, I am feeling "led" to relocate to another city across the country but barely have enough to even eat on, so my main expenses(lodging,gas,etc) would all be on credit.

Hi CaptWalker,

I don't believe the Lord would want us incurring debt to get his will done. Sometimes, it's hard to decide if it's God's will or our will that is doing the leading.  Secondly, you could only miss a couple of payments before the credit card company sends it to collections, so you need to get a job to make money to continue on your trip. This is a big decision requiring trust, faith and a plan as well. If you feel strongly that this is the Lord's leading, why not work your way across the country. It may take a long while to get to your destination but if it's the Lord guiding you, He will present opportunities your way to help you. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  440
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  03/20/1970

Thanks, and i tend to agree with your advice. And also wouldn't mind ending up in a place like where you are living in CA., but that seems like a million miles away from where i'm at now...but we'll see. And also, the answer(s) to my original question does seem so logical, but you have to remember that God is not always logical in how He deals with us in our daily affairs.

Edited by CaptWalker

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,579
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 2/9/2020 at 10:03 AM, JohnD said:

I learned a lot about money from the late Larry Burkett

Larry Burkett's counsel was terrifically useful and  now  Dave Ramsey provides excellent counsel as well.  Dave Ramsey  is going to say  cut up the credit cards everyone of them.

On 2/14/2020 at 4:04 AM, Neighbor said:

Larry Burkett's counsel was terrifically useful and  now  Dave Ramsey provides excellent counsel as well.  Dave Ramsey  is going to say  cut up the credit cards everyone of them.

30 days same as cash, cut 'em up if we use them one day more.

But as I also said, homes, cars, and other big ticket items are generally out f the range of most people's ability to pay cash for them.

Money is a many complicated thing. {sigh}

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,579
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

26 minutes ago, JohnD said:

30 days same as cash, cut 'em up if we use them one day more.

But as I also said, homes, cars, and other big ticket items are generally out f the range of most people's ability to pay cash for them.

Money is a many complicated thing. {sigh}

Yep. Takes up 25% of the Bible too.

I read and listened to Burkett; lots of good stuff, but try an get a house that one can afford by only taking out a seven year mortgage.

I have done the Dave Ramsey thing too.Lots of good stuff there as well. But ya know I just cancelled a credit card I used solely as a means to pay my wife's health insurance. In a year I had racked up over seven hundred dollars in rewards which I put into my bank account. So I don't know, paying cash puts immediate pain into a purchase, and that makes me think about whether I want to buy something at all, but if I have a need  then getting those credit card points pays off.

It is nice to say as Ramsey states, when they ask what have you got in your wallet? The answer, Cash! is a good feeling.

Though inconvenient, when on the road in remote areas I use only cash to purchase gas. I have had my credit card skimmed more than four times while fueling up along I -75 and then immediately used  at some remote State for purchases. I have received calls from my credit card company and life lock even while fillng up asking me am I filling up at two separate locations, which one if either is me? I don't have that problem with cash.

4 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Yep. Takes up 25% of the Bible too.

I read and listened to Burkett; lots of good stuff, but try an get a house that one can afford by only taking out a seven year mortgage.

I have done the Dave Ramsey thing too.Lots of good stuff there as well. But ya know I just cancelled a credit card I used solely as a means to pay my wife's health insurance. In a year I had racked up over seven hundred dollars in rewards which I put into my bank account. So I don't know, paying cash puts immediate pain into a purchase, and that makes me think about whether I want to buy something at all, but if I have a need  then getting those credit card points pays off.

It is nice to say as Ramsey states, when they ask what have you got in your wallet? The answer, Cash! is a good feeling.

Though inconvenient, when on the road in remote areas I use only cash to purchase gas. I have had my credit card skimmed more than four times while fueling up along I -75 and then immediately used  at some remote State for purchases. I have received calls from my credit card company and life lock even while fillng up asking me am I filling up at two separate locations, which one if either is me? I don't have that problem with cash.

There was a couple of guys from Austin Texas years ago on a Christian radio station (can't remember their names) who made a lot of good points about finances and the lack of male leadership in the home. By leadership they meant sacrifice and being responsible. Not just the typical tyrannical male rant... "I'm the King..."

They listed off, as I recall, guys prostituting their wives as wage slaves (what you and I would call having a regular job outside of the home) working for other men (their words, but the point is) ...so the husband can have a new pick up truck, or computer, of have a bigger house... 

It was a bit off the beam, but the point was very good. We in America (especially) pine to live more lavishly at the expense of what is truly important in our lives that we not only have, but we are responsible for.

When asked how much is enough, dying billionaire J.P. Getty

replied, "one dollar more."

It will never be enough. And part of the curse in this life is not knowing

how good we have it.

At first we may gush with excitement and appreciation for blessings

but soon after comes the criticism, the disappointment, the looking for more, 

bigger, better... or envy of another's blessing...

"we worked all day... bore the heat and toil, and these guys you hired the last hour

get paid as much as us?" Matthew 20:1-16