• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/03/1987

is it wrong not to tithe?

i tithed for two years at one point and was in a bad relationship. i did not really care aabout God at all. it was jsut a thing to do. the right things were to date a christian man and tithe cos its christian.

thats about it.

but now..i dont want to brag. i feel like id rather give to someone who absolutely needs it than choosing a church since i m invovled in three churches.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

10 minutes ago, preciouspearl said:

i tithed for two years at one point and was in a bad relationship. i did not really care aabout God at all. it was jsut a thing to do. the right things were to date a christian man and tithe cos its christian.

thats about it.

but now..i dont want to brag. i feel like id rather give to someone who absolutely needs it than choosing a church since i m invovled in three churches.

Tithing is Old Testament Law.New Testament Grace teaches we give from the heart .If you “ choose” to tithe you give your money to the place where you get your “ Spiritual Meat”.One does not eat at McDonalds and then give their money to Burger King because they need the money more than McDonalds....Give to the place where you get the best teaching....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

10 hours ago, preciouspearl said:

thats about it.

But the church needs money, too, and all the NT teaching is "take care of the church first--and second and third". Almost every statement "help the poor" is to help the poor of the congregation/God's people.

How about splitting your tithe into three parts and you can always make offerings (above a tithe) as led?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

18 hours ago, preciouspearl said:

thats about it.

So I'm not going to discuss what you are doing.  That's your business.

Instead I'll just tell you my thinking on this.

Giving to people, is not the same as the tithe.  If you look through the Bible, you'll routinely see "tithes and contributions".  Deut 12:6 "your tithes and the contribution that you present".

So giving to the poor, and helping people, is a separate thing from tithing to the church.

Further, I hate thieves.  I've been robbed numerous times in my life, and I absolutely despise and hate thieves.  In Malachi 3, it says "Will man rob God? Yet you are robbing me. But you say, ‘How have we robbed you?’ In your tithes and contributions."

The idea that I am robbing G-d, to me is absolutely abhorrent.

Now people have argued this and that, well it's the old testament, and all stuff...   And that's all fine and good, I'm not messing around with it.  I hate thieves, and I won't be counted as one.  I'll give my tithe to the church.

Additionally, along the same lines in Malachi 1, G-d compares the tithe to taxes to the rulers and governors.  He says:

"When you offer blind animals for sacrifice, is that not wrong? When you sacrifice lame or diseased animals, is that not wrong? Try offering them to your governor! Would he be pleased with you? Would he accept you?" says the LORD Almighty."

So the point is, would you skip out on paying your taxes, like you would on refusing to tithe to the church?

And of course the answer is no, you would not.   Yet which is more important, G-d or Congress?  Shouldn't your actions, particularly with money, show that G-d is at least as important as the politicians?

So that is my thinking on this.

I have always tithed.  Always.  I have it as an automatic draft from my account.   If I am going to give to charity, or to help the poor, or anything else, that comes above and beyond the tithe.

Edited by LonerAndy

3 hours ago, LonerAndy said:

So I'm not going to discuss what you are doing.  That's your business.

Instead I'll just tell you my thinking on this.

Giving to people, is not the same as the tithe.  If you look through the Bible, you'll routinely see "tithes and contributions".  Deut 12:6 "your tithes and the contribution that you present".

So giving to the poor, and helping people, is a separate thing from tithing to the church.

Further, I hate thieves.  I've been robbed numerous times in my life, and I absolutely despise and hate thieves.  In Malachi 3, it says "Will man rob God? Yet you are robbing me. But you say, ‘How have we robbed you?’ In your tithes and contributions."

The idea that I am robbing G-d, to me is absolutely adherent.

Now people have argued this and that, well it's the old testament, and all stuff...   And that's all fine and good, I'm not messing around with it.  I hate thieves, and I won't be counted as one.  I'll give my tithe to the church.

Additionally, along the same lines in Malachi 1, G-d compares the tithe to taxes to the rulers and governors.  He says:

"When you offer blind animals for sacrifice, is that not wrong? When you sacrifice lame or diseased animals, is that not wrong? Try offering them to your governor! Would he be pleased with you? Would he accept you?" says the LORD Almighty."

So the point is, would you skip out on paying your taxes, like you would on refusing to tithe to the church?

And of course the answer is no, you would not.   Yet which is more important, G-d or Congress?  Shouldn't your actions, particularly with money, show that G-d is at least as important as the politicians?

So that is my thinking on this.

I have always tithed.  Always.  I have it as an automatic draft from my account.   If I am going to give to charity, or to help the poor, or anything else, that comes above and beyond the tithe.

my taxes are automatically taken out usually

i wasnt talking abotu giving to an organization

:)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

God had the temple (storehouse) torn down in 70 AD so the legalists trying to place His Body back under bondage to the Law would find that impossible to do....they still do try though :)  Tithing is one of the New Testament heresies that has been used to fund the abomination the world sees as the "church".  Hammered on by men building personal kingdoms with men following them instead of the Head....they can't get rich and support their kingdoms without bringing God's people into bondage.....to them....instead of teaching His people to be bond-slaves of Christ alone.

4 minutes ago, Jostler said:

God had the temple (storehouse) torn down in 70 AD so the legalists trying to place His Body back under bondage to the Law would find that impossible to do....they still do try though :)  Tithing is one of the New Testament heresies that has been used to fund the abomination the world sees as the "church".  Hammered on by men building personal kingdoms with men following them instead of the Head....they can't get rich and support their kingdoms without bringing God's people into bondage.....to them....instead of teaching His people to be bond-slaves of Christ alone.

when i was away my church's pastors wife sent me a note with what they were up to. didnt really ask how i was doing.

im not rich. i didnt need them to send me money but i mean.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

27 minutes ago, preciouspearl said:

my taxes are automatically taken out usually

i wasnt talking abotu giving to an organization

:)

And I have my tithe to the church taken out automatically... and for the same reason.

The tithe is giving to your local church :)  A church is an organization of sorts.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

Just now, LonerAndy said:

And I have my tithe to the church taken out automatically... and for the same reason.

The tithe is giving to your local church :)  A church is an organization of sorts.

That is where the problem begins....

• Well Said! 2