• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,262
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

I suppose gardening fits in with general discussion; anyhoot...

Any y'all putting in a garden this year, and what are you going to plant? When is the safe date in your geographical location, when it's generally safe to plant? May 1st in my area.

Kubota Tractor.jpg

We have downsized to raised beds (gophers here get half) since the kids moved, but have fresh produce every year, spring and fall.
I have typically worked the soil and my wife planted and all the rest. Well, except eating.
It's cool to bring fresh bags of veggies to church free to whomsoever.
Would like to get the grand kids involved planting some more corn and watermelon and cantaloupe.
Tomatoes and onions (shallots) peppers already planted (central Texas)
I moved my chile pequin pepper plant to the shop through the winter, bearing fruit.
Move it back to outside soil and now has over fifty fresh green/red peppers.
Also have sown about half acre of coastal bermuda type seed and already sprouting.
How do you like your Bota, Dennis?

• Thumbs Up 4

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

Hi Dennis,

I can't really plant my garden until June 1st!  With that said, I usually have to pick my tomatoes green because they never have time to ripen.  I have not had very good luck with cucumbers either.  I did have lots of chili peppers last year.  I don't know if people know this, but if you did not get your seed orders in like a few months ago, it is slim pickins!  SeedSaver, and Territorial have no seeds whatsoever.  I did see seed packets in stores but if you are trying to get them online, you don't have a lot of choices.  I have one site that you can go to Kitazawaseed.com  They are the oldest seed company in America.  I don't think too many people know about them.  If you are looking for seeds, anyone, try there.  They also sell in bulk.  I feel in my spirit that there is going to be widespread famine.  Growing your own food might make a difference and freeze, can, or dehydrate what you don't eat or use. 

I am going to try and plant lots and lots of dwarf bok choy.  I am hoping to get a greenhouse or build one in the near future.  That might help me with prolonging my growing season just a bit.  I love growing things in the garden, it is so satisfying!  :D

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  540
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,867
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  228
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

I grow dogs and weeds :emot-fail:  I used to plant peas, runner beans, potatoes, rhubarb, had a few blueberry bushes  unfortunately my dogs literally ate the blueberries, bushes and all along with the strawberries They used to pick the peas and beans before I did and could manage to do it without damaging the plants :foot-stomp: The last straw was when I planted about 10 rows of potatoes ( not easy when you have arthritis ) and turned to find them all pilled up and the dogs wagging their tails as they were so pleased to have " helped me " by finding buried treasure Now I have artificial grass and time to read :whistling:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,483
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

17 hours ago, Sower said:

We have downsized to raised beds (gophers here get half) since the kids moved, but have fresh produce every year, spring and fall.
I have typically worked the soil and my wife planted and all the rest. Well, except eating.
It's cool to bring fresh bags of veggies to church free to whomsoever.
Would like to get the grand kids involved planting some more corn and watermelon and cantaloupe.
Tomatoes and onions (shallots) peppers already planted (central Texas)
I moved my chile pequin pepper plant to the shop through the winter, bearing fruit.
Move it back to outside soil and now has over fifty fresh green/red peppers.
Also have sown about half acre of coastal bermuda type seed and already sprouting.
How do you like your Bota, Dennis?

Afternoon there Sower,

Yeah I know the feeling. It's just the wife and I and I plant a large garden and give most of it away to neighbors and my church family. I'm raising my fourth set of 17 chickens now, they will be laying by August; people really like those organic brown eggs for free :D

My Kubota tractor works great. When I first retired and moved down here I wanted a big garden. Went to Lowe's and bought a Bolins front tine tiller and immediately started tilling. A half hour later, half beaten to death, tired and sore, got only two feet because the ground was like concrete I quit. I thought to myself; there's got to be a better way? Then I remembered seeing a Kubota dealer about six miles from my house. Little did I suspect later on that very same day, I'd be riding a tractor in comfort, tilling right along enjoying the day and a cold drink. 

I love watermelon, I'm planting it again this year. They just get started good and all of a sudden the grass and weeds swallow them up. The vines spread all out and can't get in there to weed. I may try some stuff I've heard about, called something like Preen? I hear that really reduces weed formation? 

It's hard to believe I can't find heirloom seeds anywhere, I guess because of the panic; had to settle for GMO stuff. Today I was fortunate enough to find a few canning lids I'm going to need at harvest [ha ha I beat the crowd :D]. I'll start planting in about ten days, there's a 99% chance my garden will double in size because I always get carried away when I start planting??

garden.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2

17 hours ago, ForHisGlory37 said:

Hi Dennis,

I can't really plant my garden until June 1st!  With that said, I usually have to pick my tomatoes green because they never have time to ripen.  I have not had very good luck with cucumbers either.  I did have lots of chili peppers last year.  I don't know if people know this, but if you did not get your seed orders in like a few months ago, it is slim pickins!  SeedSaver, and Territorial have no seeds whatsoever.  I did see seed packets in stores but if you are trying to get them online, you don't have a lot of choices.  I have one site that you can go to Kitazawaseed.com  They are the oldest seed company in America.  I don't think too many people know about them.  If you are looking for seeds, anyone, try there.  They also sell in bulk.  I feel in my spirit that there is going to be widespread famine.  Growing your own food might make a difference and freeze, can, or dehydrate what you don't eat or use. 

I am going to try and plant lots and lots of dwarf bok choy.  I am hoping to get a greenhouse or build one in the near future.  That might help me with prolonging my growing season just a bit.  I love growing things in the garden, it is so satisfying!  :D

Howdy!

I just got off line trying to find some heirloom seeds [again]. I wish I would have read your post first. I'm still going to check out your suggestion and see what that may still have? Like you said, a couple of weeks ago I wanted to place my order for the heirloom seeds I wanted. I checked a bunch of sites and they were and are sold out of most everything of the standard things people put in the gardens. Here I thought 'Slim Pickens' was a person, lol. I tried to be one step ahead though, I'm sure close to canning season, mason jars and lids will be in short supply or non-existent. I got the lids I needed today, yeeppy!

Been there-done that: Get a few nice big beefy red juicy tomato's, and I think to myself, "just another day or two and they will be perfectly vine ripened". Go to pick them in that day or two and... A rabbit or critter had nibbled on them and they're leaking their juices, or a worm has tunneled into them. 

I planted cucumbers about five years ago. I had them coming out of my proverbial ears; I still have jars and jars of dill and sandwich pickles I made out of them. There's certain things the deer around here won't allow me to have; sweet potato's and grapes being just two. They just get going good, and one day I walk out to the garden and I wonder where they went, nothing is left but deer tracks. Mothballs, Irish spring soap; I've tried everything but an electric fence to keep the deer out of the garden with no luck.

I agree, it is satisfying growing your own produce. I believe there is a real possibility of a food chain shortage for various reasons. This could only be the beginning of things to come?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

5 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Howdy!

I just got off line trying to find some heirloom seeds [again]. I wish I would have read your post first. I'm still going to check out your suggestion and see what that may still have? Like you said, a couple of weeks ago I wanted to place my order for the heirloom seeds I wanted. I checked a bunch of sites and they were and are sold out of most everything of the standard things people put in the gardens. Here I thought 'Slim Pickens' was a person, lol. I tried to be one step ahead though, I'm sure close to canning season, mason jars and lids will be in short supply or non-existent. I got the lids I needed today, yeeppy!

Been there-done that: Get a few nice big beefy red juicy tomato's, and I think to myself, "just another day or two and they will be perfectly vine ripened". Go to pick them in that day or two and... A rabbit or critter had nibbled on them and they're leaking their juices, or a worm has tunneled into them. 

I planted cucumbers about five years ago. I had them coming out of my proverbial ears; I still have jars and jars of dill and sandwich pickles I made out of them. There's certain things the deer around here won't allow me to have; sweet potato's and grapes being just two. They just get going good, and one day I walk out to the garden and I wonder where they went, nothing is left but deer tracks. Mothballs, Irish spring soap; I've tried everything but an electric fence to keep the deer out of the garden with no luck.

I agree, it is satisfying growing your own produce. I believe there is a real possibility of a food chain shortage for various reasons. This could only be the beginning of things to come?

Dennis, Kitazawa will have all the seeds you want... they are not in short supply yet.  You are smart in getting all your jars too.  I think the art of canning is lost to most of the population.  I did not know how to can myself until just a few years ago.  But it is really good to do.. although sometimes because the process is so time-consuming and  such hard work, the emotional attachment is high on those jars!  LOL!  They are an emotional investment.

We also have deer too, so I have to put high fencing around everything.  I had gophers one year and they just ate all my sweet potatoes, I did not get a single one!  I had over 50 plants too!  UGH!  I shot a couple of the rabbits that got in my garden.  I take no prisoners if something is after my garden.  They will die.  I don't like putting in all that work and effort only to have something else eat it! LOL  My dogs help in scaring away some of the critters and my cats take care of the moles.  Maybe you need some cats and dogs? 

Good luck on your seed search and hope we can compare our garden escapades! :)

• Well Said! 1

21 hours ago, Michael37 said:

Hi Dennis, My wife and I are active gardeners. It is autumn heading into winter here but as soon as we have frost we will harvest the 10 or so large pumpkins in this year's crop. We surprise people with the odd round pumpkin, which is how they grow when dangling from the trees.

Image1022.jpg.47d229902f155273c0a40e15bb79916c.jpg

Below: The silverbeet has done well, and we enjoy it with many meals. Likewise the rhubarb in the background.

Image1023.jpg.6e26d310343ee2d12d6fa5751ceb4a7a.jpg

Below: We are swimming in feijoas, and as usual my wife is peeling, vacuum-packaging and freezing the excess. We are not allowed to give any produce away at present due to the global pandemic restrictions.

Image1024.jpg

Hi Michael,

WOW, now that's some good looking stuff! Never heard of hanging pumpkins in my life? I'm going to have to check on our laws and recommendations here, I didn't even think about that when time comes to give most of it away? Perhaps the restrictions [if any here] will be lifted by July?

Your stuff makes mine look sick. Our soil around here is not the best, even when I fertilize it. I thought about raised beds but, I couldn't make them large enough to plant everything I want. Then they would become "deer feeding stations". I don't think I've ever tasted rhubarb, I've heard of rhubarb pie?

12 hours ago, Addy said:

This made me giggle because I envisioned all the critters showing up at the same time as the bugs and fighting over which portion was theirs... LOL

I live in Northern Ontario.... our growing season is very short... and even shorter if spring warmth is delayed...so unless one has a place in the house to start their own plants from seed... there is not much choice for what to plant... beans grow very well... and so do peas... I am new to gardening... because I finally live somewhere with a partial yard....  Anyways... I think most of us here in the colder places depend on nurseries to start our plants for us..

Sadly... due to this virus... I believe all the fun of looking around nurseries is NOT going to happen this year... I think the decision will be made that they will only be accepting orders for pick up... 

I use to watch a TV program called "Alaska the Last Frontier". It was interesting how they grew their gardens that far North starting in their plastic hot house. The vegetables they grew were mega size and in such a small area, I was amazed. 

Fortunately for me, at least the coyotes around here don't bother my garden :taped: