• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  243
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,973
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

7 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Are you aware of a ministry in your country named "Koinonia House", and the late Chuck Missler? They moved their headquarters to NZ not many years ago. 

Yes, Chuck & Nancy have been enjoyed by my wife and I since way back, over 30 years. We would listen to his radio programme "66/40" at nights and I have read his material and have a DVD of his I bought when he came to our city, Hamilton and packed out the school auditorium just up the road.

I don't agree with some of his end times stuff but then he makes sure that people know he is only suggesting a possibilty and not being dogmatic. Good old Chuck. What an amazing teacher with great communication skills. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,481
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, Michael37 said:

Yes, Chuck & Nancy have been enjoyed by my wife and I since way back, over 30 years. We would listen to his radio programme "66/40" at nights and I have read his material and have a DVD of his I bought when he came to our city, Hamilton and packed out the school auditorium just up the road.

I don't agree with some of his end times stuff but then he makes sure that people know he is only suggesting a possibilty and not being dogmatic. Good old Chuck. What an amazing teacher with great communication skills. 

That's one of many things I admired about Dr. Missler for; he made clear many things he brought forth it wasn't, "thus sayeth the Lord", but a possibility; and to check it out and come to your own conclusions. I learned a great deal from him, that I wouldn't have known from anywhere else. For instance, and he discovered this himself; taking the first 10 generations of mankind from Adam to Noah, applying the correct Hebrew name meanings, then stringing it together in a proper English sentence. Wow, that was mind boggling and one more thing that proves the Bible is divinely inspired. 

Question: Do you have exceptional top soil there in NZ, or are you a gifted gardener with a green thumb? I've never seen such big healthy plants anywhere. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Servant

10 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Question: Do you have exceptional top soil there in NZ, or are you a gifted gardener with a green thumb? I've never seen such big healthy plants anywhere. 

In answer to the top soil question, in NZ we don't have to go far to get it from one area if it is needed in another and the Landscape Supplies outlets do a good trade. We have some very fertile river plains and some top notch geotechnical consultants who advise on excavations and foundations so if soil from these is deemed suitable for gardens it is sold. Working formerly in the gardening trade having begun earning from it about age 9, I have come across some terrible soils, some too sour for much other than buttercups, some too hard and lumpy, and some with high clay content, so it becomes a question of how much expertise is required and how much time and money can be spent to remedy soil problems.

On my own property I had a passionfruit vine that struggled in one area whilst the passionfruit vine in another area was supervigorous and fruited abundantly until the unskilled immigrant tenant in the adjoining property killed it and a number of plants on other neighbours' boundaries by indiscriminate spraying with herbicide after orders from his landlord to do something about the overgrown weeds on the place. We forgave him but with the struggling vine now becoming more necessary I began a long process of removing the immediate clay soil it was in, applying regular doses of lime and fertilizer to the heavily composted roots and now, making irrigation a priority in our very dry summers, we have a successful vine.

In answer to the green thumb/fingers question,  I get that a lot but I don't always have immediate success and typically browse through plant books and do a lot of research online to get the best results. Over 36 years in Hamilton, after much orchard, market garden, and horticultural employment by time I was 30, I have been fortunate to work as the preferred gardening contractor for numerous residential clients and for many commercial entities, including for our local city council, and for government installations, namely the local sites of the Inland Revenue Department, the Conservation Department, and the Accident Compensation Corporation.

Three simple tips for gardeners: (apart from having a good back. Ouch!)

1. Plant selection is about the right plant for the right place.
  2. Soil preparation is about making a happy place for your plant.
  3. Cultivation and nurture is about promoting growth and protecting from harm. 

I think some people do have a natural gift for gardening, like one dear old Christian lady who I had on my books for about 30 years. Her place won a prize in a competition and she got a nice greenhouse which was installed for her. It was so hard for her to stop gardening when it became too much for her health nearly aged 90. Maybe she was a bit fixated by then, but for a good cause because she had a nursery of plants that she sold to fund Habitat for Humanity.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

A Garden This Year?

No...

Local News Headliner: MEGA-DROUGHT IN CA

• Group:  Servant

23 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

A Garden This Year?

No...

Local News Headliner: MEGA-DROUGHT IN CA

That's when you go xerophytic. 

xer·o·phyte

(zîr′ə-fīt′)

n.
A plant adapted to surviving with little water.

xer′o·phyt′ic (-fĭt′ĭk) adj.
xer′o·phyt′i·cal·ly adv.
xer′o·phyt′ism (-fī′tĭz-əm, -fī-tĭz′-) n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Image1030.jpg.67e8bd12fef9cb4842784d076519f05d.jpg
This was once a child's paddling pool. I put in a base fill of soil and overlayed it with shingle and rocks. All the plants are succulents which can survive without much water.
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/19/1982

On 4/17/2020 at 6:17 PM, Dennis1209 said:

I suppose gardening fits in with general discussion; anyhoot...

Any y'all putting in a garden this year, and what are you going to plant? When is the safe date in your geographical location, when it's generally safe to plant? May 1st in my area.

I haven't put in a garden in two years, as I had canned a good deal and my produce and it's close to being used up. So, after I tilled a few of the neighbors garden spots, I finally got around to my own. Naturally, since it was a beautiful day, I tilled an area larger than I intended, so I'll just have to plant more 'stuff'.  :thumbsup:

The seeds and starters I ordered will be delivered tomorrow, that being; onion sets, green beans, cabbage, zucchini, carrots, etc. I went today and got my composted cow manure and tomato plants [18 and will expand to 36 plants]. I'll need to wait a minimum of ten days before I plant anything, as there's still a danger of frost around here. From experience, nothing grows very fast until the soil temperature gets warm and stays warm during the night anyway. I use to rush planting thinking earlier planting - sooner harvesting, but that's not the case. 

I use the organic 1/3 method; one third for the deer, rabbits and critters, one third for the insects, fungus and rot, and one third harvest for me. I've had a few years where it rained so much, I couldn't get in the garden because of the mud, and the weeds and rot took over. 

We don't know what the immediate future holds, only the Lord knows. If we get hit with something else unexpected, compounding the current level of general concern and panic; it's nice to look at the garden with anticipation of what it may yield and produce. 

Kubota Tractor.jpg

Good luck on your garden! I am envious of you since we no long live in a place that has a backyard. We always did tomatoes and were successful. Unfortunately, where we used to live, we found out the hard way that the yard would completely flood every time it rained and this was after planting corn, cucumbers, strawberries, and pumpkins. We attempted again when they fixed the storm drain but it just wasn't meant to be :(

We are experimenting with indoor tomatoes. So far have a few that are popping out. No tomatoes yet of course, it's got a ways to go but least there is some progress. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  10/19/1982

On 4/18/2020 at 12:56 AM, ForHisGlory37 said:

Hi Dennis,

I can't really plant my garden until June 1st!  With that said, I usually have to pick my tomatoes green because they never have time to ripen.  I have not had very good luck with cucumbers either.  I did have lots of chili peppers last year.  I don't know if people know this, but if you did not get your seed orders in like a few months ago, it is slim pickins!  SeedSaver, and Territorial have no seeds whatsoever.  I did see seed packets in stores but if you are trying to get them online, you don't have a lot of choices.  I have one site that you can go to Kitazawaseed.com  They are the oldest seed company in America.  I don't think too many people know about them.  If you are looking for seeds, anyone, try there.  They also sell in bulk.  I feel in my spirit that there is going to be widespread famine.  Growing your own food might make a difference and freeze, can, or dehydrate what you don't eat or use. 

I am going to try and plant lots and lots of dwarf bok choy.  I am hoping to get a greenhouse or build one in the near future.  That might help me with prolonging my growing season just a bit.  I love growing things in the garden, it is so satisfying!  :D

Thank you for sharing that site. Can't do anything now but will definitely come in handy in the future.

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

That's when you go xerophytic. 

xer·o·phyte

(zîr′ə-fīt′)

n.
A plant adapted to surviving with little water.

Fascinating. Unfortunately, I'm disabled and totally incapable of such terrific solutions to drought. Interesting post though. Thanks for sharing. My granny bless her heart, was an avid gardener prior to osteoarthritis. Guess it was a genetically inherited thing of gradual deterioration. That plus the numerous accidental situations that didn't help things either. 

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Cornelius10 said:

My Grandmother had her trailer yes Mobile Home trailer displayed in Home in Gardens because of her Plants that surrounded it in Santa Barbara Calif.

871625432_thumbsupsmiley.gif.188703469b27d6912a3faf6c084c0c6b.gif That is so cool!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

2 hours ago, Jason Yzaguirre said:

Thank you for sharing that site. Can't do anything now but will definitely come in handy in the future.

Hi Jason,  even if you only get a few seed packets, it would be a good thing... I think seeds are going to be like the toilet paper and the paper towels.... poof, gone.  You should try the stores first though, they seem to still have seeds.  Best to get the heirlooms, non-gmo.  good luck! and blessings :)

• Thumbs Up 1