IGNORED

Is the New International Version a good translation of the Bible?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/19/1982

I like to match the versions online since all are available and NIV is pretty clear but lacks the awesomeness of KJV. My home Bible is a NKJV, which I really like and since we are allowed to listen to music at work, I started listening to the English Standard Version today. I think reading as many versions is important.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

On 4/28/2020 at 6:28 AM, Lee_ said:

Most translations have their strengths and weaknesses.  NIV is perfectly good version.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

37 minutes ago, LonerAndy said:

Most translations have their strengths and weaknesses.  NIV is perfectly good version.

Yeah, true that. There's a lot of them out there too. Years ago when I just a lad of 10 years or so, my uncle gave me a copy of one called, Good News For Modern Man. Mom's family were C o C = Church of Christ. They were very exclusive fundamentalists. The only church that was going to make it to Heaven and a lot of other peculiar doctrinal issues.

You weren't fully sealed and saved until immersion baptism*, no musical instruments in their church, acapella singing only, and communion* every Sunday. Pretty quirky bunch, but they meant well. Hoo-boy, glad we left after fully realizing how wrong they were. Thinking all the other Christians were doomed eternally wasn't a very pleasant thought.

Though the King James Version was the word preached from their pulpits, Good News For Modern Man was approved for those who had a hard time grasping this 1611 publication. Here's a little info about KJV. 

What is the history of the King James Bible? | Bibleinfo.com

https://www.bibleinfo.com/en/questions/history-kjv

Home / Bible Questions / Bible / What is the history of the King James Bible? The King James Version of the Bible, released in 1611, was authorized by King James in order to have as accurate a translation as possible, which could be printed and widely circulated. The original Old Testament writings were in Hebrew and the New Testament in Greek.

Baptism* and communion* are wonderful practices and should be followed through accordingly. But, these acts do not produce salvation, they are acts of obedience and observance as a result AFTER becoming a believer. Not before. The Church of Christ had a backwards concept of what is and isn't true salvation and how it is received. 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

On 4/28/2020 at 5:28 AM, Lee_ said:

Its a bad version.

It has issues with the Deity of Christ and much more.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

13 hours ago, Behold said:

Its a bad version.

It has issues with the Deity of Christ and much more.

Such as John 1:18, perhaps?

"No-one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in the closest relationship with the Father, has made him known." (John 1:18 NIV)

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

On 4/29/2020 at 9:32 PM, BeauJangles said:

Years ago when I just a lad of 10 years or so, my uncle gave me a copy of one called, Good News For Modern Man.

That was the one that brought me to Jesus.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  2,380
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Many (including myself) bare some distrust towards the NIV as well as several other translations because they are sourced in a less-than-trustworthy family of manuscripts. But in effect, all that means is that some doctrines are diluted in the NIV and some parts (passages, verses, words etc.) are missing. With that said, most newer NIVs are "Revised Editions" - with most of the discrepancies corrected so that they come into line with more trustworthy families of Biblical manuscript.

Even the older NIVs can be considered to be God's Word. That is, one should not claim the NIV to be doctrinally inaccurate. It would be more correct to say that the NIV is slightly less-than the full Word of God. So God can still use the NIV to teach Christians if that is their preferred translation.

My preferred 'dynamic equivalent' translation is the NKJV. In my opinion, this is translated from a more reliable family of manuscripts. I also find it easier to read and remember than the NIV (which is perhaps contrary to the opinions of many).

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

4 hours ago, Deborah_ said:
On 4/29/2020 at 1:32 PM, BeauJangles said:

Years ago when I just a lad of 10 years or so, my uncle gave me a copy of one called, Good News For Modern Man.

That was the one that brought me to Jesus.

Praise the Lord, Deborah. Indeed that IS Good News! 

:amen:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  961
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,693
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi all,

Every and any transliteration that  is read and applied to daily life and prayer is superior to any other one that sits on a shelf unread.

As to the poetry of Psalms in the KJV I suggest that there is precious little poetry in English of any period of time. Ex: the rhyme, repetition of Hebrew alphabet letters, the measure within the stanzas of Psalm 119 is totally lost in English as compared to Hebrew.

But if one does not know of the original languages of the Bible one makes do with what has been provided by man's best efforts in sharing  of God's word.

See https://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt26b9.htm

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

9 hours ago, Deborah_ said:

Such as John 1:18, perhaps?

"No-one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in the closest relationship with the Father, has made him known." (John 1:18 NIV)

No, like this....

"And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: GOD was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory."

Notice  that this verse has the word GOD in it.

The NIV does not. As it takes GOD out of the verse.

Edited by Behold