• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Alive said:

That word repent has a broad meaning. I could repent from liking chili slaw dogs. Or a frame of mind related to 'Grace' or of some heretical doctrine--any number of things. Born again saints are subject to any number of things while on the earth and in these earthen vessels.

GK G3566 | S G3340   μετανοέω   metanoeō   34x  

to undergo a change in frame of mind and feeling, to repent, Lk. 17:3, 4; to make a change of principle and practice, to reform, Mt. 3:2 repent, repentance; turn.

I need to repent of not hating Rap Music enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,621
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  02/15/1973

1 hour ago, OneLight said:

Care to address what Jesus said to the seven churches in Revelation 2 and 3 where he tells five of the seven to repent?  Now, if Jesus is saying this to those who are already born again, don't you think it is important and shows that born again believers can sin and need to repent?

Ephesus:

Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.(Revelation 2: 5)

Revelation 2:2 I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:

This repent is to those who are not Apostles (Born Again) and are liars in the Church of Ephesus.

Pergamos:

So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes, which thing I hate.

Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth. (Revelation 2: 15-16)

Revelation 2:9 

I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan

This repent is to those who are not Jews ( Christians)

Thyatira:

I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.

Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.

And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.

Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. (Revelation 2: 19-22)

Revelation 2:24 

24 But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.

The repent was only to those who had this doctrine that were in the church that weren’t born again Christians. The others do not have have this doctrine as this scripture I just quoted.

Sardis:

Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.

Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee. (revelation 3: 2-3)

Revelation 3:4 

Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.

The repent to the Sardis are to those in the churches that have defiled their garments that were not Christians or born again.

Laodicea:
As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.(Revelation 3: 19)

Revelation 3:9

Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee. 

This Church of Laodicea the repent was to those who were saying they were Jews (Christians) which were not

In every church that had the repent warning had to do with not born again believers who were in the midst of the Church. Isn’t it like that today?

Those who are doing all kind of works and he says depart from me I never knew you.

They knew all about God but he never knew them. This scripture was in the context of the judgment.

But these Churches he was talking to them and warned them to repent before they died or otherwise it would have eternal consequences!!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.86
  • Days Won:  5

17 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

If Jesus or Paul or anybody else in the Bible says “ Repent of your sins”, by ALL  MEANS—— Do it ! If Jesus or Paul ever say , “Repent of your Sins To Be SAVED” ........make sure you do that also! There’s a small problem though. You ain’t gonna find that statement in the KJV.Nowhere.Paul used the word “ repent” once in Acts , I believe.....John, that great Book we send Newbies to in order to get get Saved, mainly with John3:16, never uses the word “ repent” one time .What on Earth is Up with that?Maybe because Believing in Jesus has Repentance built-in.There are three types of Repentance. The only type of Repentance required for Salvation is the one of the three that means “ change your mind”.......If you have changed your mind about Jesus, going from thinking he never existed or was just a good and wise man to believing that He was the Son Of God that died for the sins of the World and rose from the dead.....You have repented and are saved......more to follow... 

The last three words...... “ more to  follow”.......  may take awhile.... I spend an hour writing a post and I keep losing my internet connection and it erases everything I have typed.....happened in a long post yesterday and a REAL long post today.....not quite sure what to do.....is it possible on an iPad to back up everything you type as you type it? 

Edited by Blood Bought 1953

1 hour ago, OneLight said:

What meaning do you think Jesus had when he said that to His churches?  How do you think they took His warnings and instructions?

These Churches were warned because these churches had a cancer that was in these Churches in individuals that were not really born again believers.

They were acting like they were Christians and trying to infiltrate the church with this poison. They were being warned to try to rid the Church of these things by a repenting from these things.

This repenting had to do with unbelieving believers. Ones who pose as Christians in word and righteous appearances but in deed and reality their hearts were far from the truth.

These are the Scribes and Pharisees that were in churches in that time are are still alive and well in our and churches today.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

14 minutes ago, Eddy Crocker said:

Ephesus:

Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.(Revelation 2: 5)

Revelation 2:2 I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:

This repent is to those who are not Apostles (Born Again) and are liars in the Church of Ephesus.

Pergamos:

So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes, which thing I hate.

Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth. (Revelation 2: 15-16)

Revelation 2:9 

I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan

This repent is to those who are not Jews ( Christians)

Thyatira:

I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.

Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.

And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.

Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. (Revelation 2: 19-22)

Revelation 2:24 

24 But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.

The repent was only to those who had this doctrine that were in the church that weren’t born again Christians. The others do not have have this doctrine as this scripture I just quoted.

Sardis:

Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.

Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee. (revelation 3: 2-3)

Revelation 3:4 

Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.

The repent to the Sardis are to those in the churches that have defiled their garments that were not Christians or born again.

Laodicea:
As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.(Revelation 3: 19)

Revelation 3:9

Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee. 

This Church of Laodicea the repent was to those who were saying they were Jews (Christians) which were not

In every church that had the repent warning had to do with not born again believers who were in the midst of the Church. Isn’t it like that today?

Those who are doing all kind of works and he says depart from me I never knew you.

They knew all about God but he never knew them. This scripture was in the context of the judgment.

But these Churches he was talking to them and warned them to repent before they died or otherwise it would have eternal consequences!!

Each person whom Jesus addressed we Christians.   Nobody is a Christian unless they have accepted the salvation Jesus gives.  So your understanding of whom Jesus was talking to needs to be examined closer.

For the church in Ephesus you wrote: "This repent is to those who are not Apostles (Born Again) and are liars in the Church of Ephesus."  You are saying that their works they did are who they are, which is  not the case.  This is what Jesus saw them do and approved of it: "I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars; and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name’s sake and have not become weary".  This is their error: "Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love."  This is His instruction to the Christians who left their first love: "Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works" and the consequences of they do not: "I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent."

This is an example to how to read the warning to the church.  Please do the same with the other four that were found in error and see if that helps you understand better.

7 minutes ago, Eddy Crocker said:

These Churches were warned because these churches had a cancer that was in these Churches in individuals that were not really born again believers.

They were acting like they were Christians and trying to infiltrate the church with this poison. They were being warned to try to rid the Church of these things by a repenting from these things.

This repenting had to do with unbelieving believers. Ones who pose as Christians in word and righteous appearances but in deed and reality their hearts were far from the truth.

These are the Scribes and Pharisees that were in churches in that time are are still alive and well in our and churches today.

Again, Jesus was replying to His church, born again believers in Him, Christians.  In each warning and instruction you will see that those whom Jesus is addressing were instructed to return to what they had, but seemed to of forgotten and or lost.  How they got there id not mentioned, just that they were at one place at one time, but no longer there and needed to repent of this by turning around and returning to where they were.  It is that simple. 

• Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DustyRoad said:

I'm pulling out individual quotes from you using blue text.

"The repent was only to those who had this doctrine that were in the church that weren’t born again Christians."

Where is this specified in the scripture, @Eddy Crocker

"This Church of Laodicea the repent was to those who were saying they were Jews (Christians) which were not"

You're confusing Laodicea with the church at Philadelphia. What you wrote above isn't what the Lord said to Laodicea. Read the scriptures again. :) 

"In every church that had the repent warning had to do with not born again believers who were in the midst of the Church. Isn’t it like that today?"

Your opinion doesn't match the testimony of the scripture, Eddy. "Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent." How can you possibly construe this to apply to those weren't "born again?" You're either adding to the scriptures to suit your doctrine or you don't understand what was written. 

In all of those Churches the repent  was only speaking to those who were not Jews, Apostles or Christians. If there was any repent for Christians it was to be in the context of being aware and to turn away from these so called believers or Christians and not be deceived by them. The repent for a sinner or unbeliever is much different from a repent of  believers or Christians. It says in 

Genesis 6:6-7 

And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

2 Samuel 24:15-16

15 So the Lord sent a pestilence upon Israel from the morning even to the time appointed: and there died of the people from Dan even to Beersheba seventy thousand men.

16 And when the angel stretched out his hand upon Jerusalem to destroy it, the Lord repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed the people, It is enough: stay now thine hand. And the angel of the Lord was by the threshingplace of Araunah the Jebusite.

Psalms 106:45,

And he remembered for them his covenant, and repented according to the multitude of his mercies.

Exodus 32:14 

14 And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

God repenting in scripture simply shows us he changed his mind or regretted what he had done. He wasn’t repenting because he was a sinner or did something wrong.

He might of regretted doing it in a certain fashion and repented (turned) into another direction from where he started or had second thoughts about what he had done.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Eddy Crocker - can a nonbeliever be part of the Body of Christ, His church?

28 minutes ago, OneLight said:

Again, Jesus was replying to His church, born again believers in Him, Christians.  In each warning and instruction you will see that those whom Jesus is addressing were instructed to return to what they had, but seemed to of forgotten and or lost.  How they got there id not mentioned, just that they were at one place at one time, but no longer there and needed to repent of this by turning around and returning to where they were.  It is that simple. 

That’s true but the repent part for the Christian is different than that of an unbeliever. 

Just now, Eddy Crocker said:

That’s true but the repent part for the Christian is different than that of an unbeliever. 

Yet, Jesus is speaking to all Christians when He addresses the Seven Churches in Revelation 2&3.  This thread is about what Jesus said to the churches, especially what He said to the church of the Laodiceans.