IGNORED

Does anyone remember these British singers?

Debp

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

14 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Hey ! Don’t forget to answer the trivia questions you put out! Lol.....

Oh those? Does this mean you give up? Well, let me give some memory recall on that, since it's on The Beatles Thread. 

George did grow his hair longer than the rest. When is triple solo LP set was issued, he continued to grow it until nearly waist length. But, John has some pics out with some pretty long lengths with him and Yoko while the band was still officially together. This was just before the beard. I've got them photocopied and laminated in storage. It's quite a bit longer than the Abbey Road promo and private photos. I'd call that one a near tossup. About the curly perms? Both George and Ringo went for the look. It was pretty popular for guys to do that during the 70's and these are the two Beatles that did. The ear piercing was also both George and Ringo. I'm not sure which one was the first. Ringo still has his left lobe pierced, of course.

Now the short end on the scope of things. Who went to the extremes? It's also an issue of group and solo time periods. This would be concerning Ringo and John, but not just Lennon alone. Oh. George is involved a little bit here too, so I'll mention him also. The first Beatle to cut the cut their hair from the well over the ear lobe look. Paul usually trimmed his before getting there, but not by the pictures I've seen after the final LP, Abbey Road. McCartney's wedding pictures show it about the longest his worn during the group years. The Beatles were still officially together at that time.

Anyway, when George took up interest in learning to play the sitar, he wanted the best. That was Ravi Shankar. Ravi suggested George to do two things in order to avoid too much adoring mobs on his home. Cut the hair and grow a mustache. George had the motivational factor to make the sacrifice and did so. He cut it short, but not a military cut like John did for his movie, How I Won The War. Still pretty short for a Beatle. George learned avidly enough and returned to London. His sitar playing on Revolver's Norwegian Wood (John's song) was okay, but well honed by Sgt. Pepper. John did get the burr cut after Abbey Road and so did Yoko.

Cut your hair for peace? Yeah, they did. They also auctioned the hair for the same reason. After the breakup and during John's fight battling it out for the cannabis busts in England, Lennon shaved it completely. You can see it on the Mind Games LP. It was a boot camp cut. Yoko didn't join him this time. Good idea! I can't say exactly the year, but Ringo went for the Mr. Clean look for some unknown reason. I saw it in either the Circus music magazine or the Rolling Stone publication. Both the head and face was slicker than a whistle.

He grew it out but still wears his hair very short to this day. Also kept the beard and it's short also. Just a brief mention. I always liked the McCartney mullet during the early Wings years. It was a nice and very in style for him. He and Linda also went for a spikey cut on occasion. Ah. The final quiz question. Which Beatle got one or more tattoos? None of them from what I gather. Not to my knowledge, anyway. Oh. Wait a minute. We've high jacked Deb's thread! This should probably be over in my Beatles one. I'm sorry, Debbie! I could copy/paste it over, but hopefully it will be okay this time. 

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,020
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,312
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

22 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Just curious.....anybody here remember the very controversial song, “ They’re Coming To Take Me Away, Ha Ha”...........The flip side of that hit was a  Masterpiece! See if you can get it on You Tube! 

Yeah, now that you mention it, I remember! :24: Just remember that first line plus the melody though!

19 hours ago, Behold said:

Herman's Hermits

Chad & Jeremy

Harry Nilsson

Dave Clark 5

Forgot all about Chad and Jeremy.    I didn't follow secular music after 1972...so guess that's why I forgot alot of these.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

11 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

Dave did, but his drumming wasn't very imaginative at all. Simple one-two one-two as rapidly as possible. It lacked something. As much to be admired for their hits, they didn't last long on the success end of endurance. Their music and sound didn't evolve at all like those who were able to. 

Ringo deeply respected Buddy Rich. He fully acknowledged not to be the best percussionist. Ringo was a humble about it. 

Yes, he was. Ringo never missed a beat. Ever. His drum roll on Day Tripper proved he could pull it off in spite of those who claimed he was incapable of doing so. He had panache and taste. Really enovative. That's Ringo. 

Okay, wait a minute. You must admit George developed a great style over time. Take for instance his signature slide guitar playing. He quickly learned from All Things Must Pass, which was very good. But by the time Living In The Material World came out, George had it down. And down right excellent! 

Yeah, no kidding. Baker became a junkie and played like one. He was good but not the best. Sorry, no bash on Ginger. 

I enjoyed the drumming of Gene Krupa and  thought that he might be better than Buddy Rich.....In an interesting interview Krupa said that Rich was a better drummer than himself.....He said Of Buddy, “ He can do stuff on the drums that I could “ never” do.  what a  nice humble man he was.......on the other hand, Buddy Rich was a real horse’s  a**...............a real Ego Maniac......

Edited by Blood Bought 1953
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Hollies. These guys were really fantastic. Such lush tight vocal harmonies. The Hollies really had tremendous popularity both here in America  and the UK from whence they came. The very first hit song here in the USA was, Bus Stop. Lovely song. Then soon after was a slightly racy one, Stop, Stop, Stop (All The Dancing). It was about a guy who became addicted to going at a certain strip club, probably in seedy East Side of London. Maybe. Anyway, he kept going back to the club and was so tantalized he couldn't control himself. The bouncers or whatever they call them there gave him the 'ol' 86'. (threw him out)

Then came, Carrie Anne. Delightful tune. School kids, a boy and girl having their own pretend games. "I'll play the janitor, you play the monitor" (hall monitor) Lovely song. Later, I Can't Let Go (by Buddy Holly) Dear Eloise, Look Through Any Window, King Midas in Reverse, and others. I'll mention those in a moment, but let's talk about Graham Nash. Graham was the tenor of the group and his bright vocals really made the band's harmonies wonderful. But for some reason he wanted to leave The Hollies after several years of great success and came to America.

Graham met up with David Crosby as he had left The Byrds and also Steven Stills, who was a member of The Buffalo Springfield. Another great band from Canada. (Neil Young, Richie Furay, Jim Messina) Well, we know what happened when these guys got together. CSN&Y. Graham Nash and folk singer, Joni Mitchell, also from Canada, fell in love. The Hollies kept on without Nash and did more hit songs like, The Air That I Breathe, Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress, and then finally, He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother. Great songs, but they were better with Graham Nash. Sorry, that's my call.  

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

52 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

The Hollies. These guys were really fantastic. Such lush tight vocal harmonies. The Hollies really had tremendous popularity both here in America  and the UK from whence they came. The very first hit song here in the USA was, Bus Stop. Lovely song. Then soon after was a slightly racy one, Stop, Stop, Stop (All The Dancing). It was about a guy who became addicted to going at a certain strip club, probably in seedy East Side of London. Maybe. Anyway, he kept going back to the club and was so tantalized he couldn't control himself. The bouncers or whatever they call them there gave him the 'ol' 86'. (threw him out)

Then came, Carrie Anne. Delightful tune. School kids, a boy and girl having their own pretend games. "I'll play the janitor, you play the monitor" (hall monitor) Lovely song. Later, I Can't Let Go (by Buddy Holly) Dear Eloise, Look Through Any Window, King Midas in Reverse, and others. I'll mention those in a moment, but let's talk about Graham Nash. Graham was the tenor of the group and his bright vocals really made the band's harmonies wonderful. But for some reason he wanted to leave The Hollies after several years of great success and came to America.

Graham met up with David Crosby as he had left The Byrds and also Steven Stills, who was a member of The Buffalo Springfield. Another great band from Canada. (Neil Young, Richie Furay, Jim Messina) Well, we know what happened when these guys got together. CSN&Y. Graham Nash and folk singer, Joni Mitchell, also from Canada, fell in love. The Hollies kept on without Nash and did more hit songs like, The Air That I Breathe, Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress, and then finally, He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother. Great songs, but they were better with Graham Nash. Sorry, that's my call.  

Fav Hollie's song .  = "The Air That I Breath."    This group released a lot of Albums.

I also like : Argent and Badfinger 

Badfinger was a Paul McCartney find that wrote some really good tunes, and Argent wrote "Hold Your Head Up"..

Edited by Behold
  • Loved it! 1

The Kinks: All Day And All Of The Night - Tired Of Waiting For You - You Really Got Me - Se Me Free - Well Respected Man - Till The End Of The Day - Sunny Afternoon - Lola - Dedicated Follower Of Fashion - Waterloo Sunset - Rock And Roll Fantasy 

The Zombies: For Your Love - Time Of The Season - Tell Her No - She's Not There

Manfred Mann: Do Wah Diddy - Pretty Flamingo - The Mighty Quinn

The Left Bank: Just Walk Away Renee - Pretty Ballerina 

Edited by BeauJangles

8 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

The Kinks: All Day And All Of The Night - Tired Of Waiting For You - You Really Got Me - Se Me Free - Well Respected Man - Till The End Of The Day - Sunny Afternoon - Lola - Dedicated Follower Of Fashion - Waterloo Sunset - Rock And Roll Fantasy 

The Zombies: For Your Love - Time Of The Season - Tell Her No - She's Not There

Manfred Mann: Do Wah Diddy - Pretty Flamingo - The Mighty Quinn

The Left Bank: Just Walk Away Renee - Pretty Ballerina 

I like the later Manfred Mann stuff........his '76-'80, era.

And i like "The Alan Parson's Project".

Edited by Behold
  • Loved it! 1

58 minutes ago, Behold said:

Fav Hollie's song .  = "The Air That I Breath."    This group released a lot of Albums.

I also like : Argent and Badfinger 

Badfinger was a Paul McCartney find that wrote some really good tunes, and Argent wrote "Hold Your Head Up"..

Yes! I have one Badfinger LP: (umm... it has a picture of a donkey and hand dangling a carrot) Ass :b:

The Long version of Hold Your Head Up is great. I also have a Greatest Hits Of Argent CD. 

34 minutes ago, Behold said:

I like the later Manfred Mann stuff........his '76-'80, era.

And i like "The Alan Parson's Project".

And yes! Manfred Mann and his Earth Band - Blinded By The Light. Big FM radio hit. 

Alan Parsons - I Robot. I had that on an 8-track cartridge. Yep, gone. Thrashed in the rain! Love them. 

Edited by BeauJangles

16 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

Yes! I have one Badfinger LP: (umm... it has a picture of a donkey and hand dangling a carrot) Ass :b:

The Long version of Hold Your Head Up is great. I also have a Greatest Hits Of Argent CD. 

And yes! Manfred Mann and his Earth Band - Blinded By The Light. Big FM radio hit. 

Alan Parsons - I Robot. I had that on an 8-track cartridge. Yep, gone. Thrashed in the rain! Love them. 

M M's "Angel Station" is one of my fav albums.

"I Robot"... Alan Parson's....This is the Guy who created the Pink Floyd Sound that we think regarding Albums like "Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wall".  

His "I Robot" has that same PF sound.

Edited by Behold
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

A lot of these guys I thought were “ one hit wonders” had more good songs than I remembered....thanks for the reminders.....

• Well Said! 1