• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,028
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,367
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

6 minutes ago, Rodney Bascom said:

Is baptism required for salvation?

No, it isn't required.   Remember the thief on the cross next to Jesus didn't have time to get baptized.   He was saved by his faith in Christ.

However, baptism is showing outwardly what has happened to us inwardly.   Declaring our new life in Christ.   

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,377
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

1 hour ago, Debp said:

No, it isn't required.   Remember the thief on the cross next to Jesus didn't have time to get baptized.   He was saved by his faith in Christ.

However, baptism is showing outwardly what has happened to us inwardly.   Declaring our new life in Christ.   

Just want to add one thing to this accurate post... at salvation when the Spirit of Christ moves into the person by regeneration of a new spirit within the believer it is called baptizing of the Spirit (born again) and it is through this s/Spirit we (s) are joined with The Holy Spirit (S) as an eternal sealing of God in us the hope of glory...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Rodney Bascom said:

No - but if someone who professes faith refuses to be baptised (or claims that it is optional), I would query the reality of their commitment. This is because baptism is commanded of us. 

So it isn't a salvation issue - but it is an obedience issue. And if Jesus is really your Lord - you obey Him!

• Thumbs Up 4

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

Water baptism symbolizes the death and burial of the old carnal self and its sinful nature. (repentance) Commitment to die to self must follow faith. That we are identifying with Christ in his death, burial, and resurrection. But in order to truly testify, one must not only have faith in Jesus, (that is to believe) but also have been willing or at the least a desire to turn from all known sin (repent). Because the then visual testimony of water baptism is the public affirmation that the person has died to self and turning to a new life in Christ.

It is a public confession and testimony that a person is making a commitment to put to death the sinful nature that is within them and is committed to following Christ. That the person is indeed repenting of their sins, confessing faith in front of witnesses. A person who desires to remain in a sinful life after having gone through water baptism is really telling everyone publicly that he or she really doesn't believe the gospel. They are just going through the motions and thus making it nothing more than a shallow testimony and ritual.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  909
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,654
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

17 hours ago, Rodney Bascom said:

Actually baptism IS required for salvation. Just not the baptism you are thinking of.

Notice the contrast by John the water  Baptist:

Matthew 3:11 (AV)
11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Jesus spoke of baptism in a different way also:

Luke 12:50 (AV)
50 But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished!

He was referring to his crucifixion. 

Notice the previous verse:

Luke 12:49 (AV)
49 I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled?

So, baptism of the Holy Spirit = salvation

Baptism by fire = judgment / damnation

Water Baptism is symbolic. An outward expression of an inward transformation. Nothing more.

In John's day it was a turning away from the Old Covenant in preparation to receive the New.

That was what repentance meant (repent and be baptized) or from unbelief to belief in Christ Jesus.

Here is a good passage to show the distinction of water baptism and Holy Spirit baptism. Though they

were water baptized in the name of Jesus, it was their faith in Jesus rather that brought the Holy Spirit upon them.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  771
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/07/1947

On 5/28/2020 at 2:31 AM, Deborah_ said:

No - but if someone who professes faith refuses to be baptised (or claims that it is optional), I would query the reality of their commitment. This is because baptism is commanded of us. 

So it isn't a salvation issue - but it is an obedience issue. And if Jesus is really your Lord - you obey Him!

As part of my reading of John Calvin's commentary on Genesis, I saw his comment connected with Abraham, that believers' baptism replaces circumcision as the mark of godly faith.   I found that a quite interesting thought.

• 5 months later...

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  757
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/08/1978

Do you know how many people have been baptized but are not regenerate? Does the Bible say we will be known by our baptism or by our fruits, love, humility, etc.?  Also Jesus was baptized to fulfill all righteousness. If we are baptized by His Spirit we are altogether baptized. It is finished! Just my thoughts and opinion. Thanks ??