• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

Did I forget to mention men in Asiatic tribal custom for men with long hair? No, maybe not. 

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.52
  • Days Won:  12

1 hour ago, ChickenCoop said:

This has become quite a hair raising thread. 

Groan!

Just now, ChickenCoop said:

Does this mean you're getting sick of it too?

It means that your joke was corny.

I have a certain poster on ignore, so I'm spared what I'm sure will be unpleasant, insulting and ridiculous comments, which means that I'm not sick of it.  It's helpful to see what the word of God says about a subject.

Just now, ChickenCoop said:

I love corn. ??

I thought so.

:red-neck-laughing-smiley-emoticon:

• Haha 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.55
  • Days Won:  15

4 hours ago, David1701 said:

Whether or not it was common (it certainly wasn't amongst the Romans, or the Christians in the catacombs) is irrelevant, since it is God's created order and that is what matters.

And I've already agreed that that was an exception (almost always temporary, except Samson, and the hair was cut off at the end of it).

Well, that's big of you.  Hey, Paul, Fidei Defensor thinks that your Holy Spirit-inspired statement, in apostolic authority, declaring God's created order, is "something to consider"!

God's created order is for everyone, obviously.  There are only the exceptions of the vow of the Nazarite and medical conditions.

Regarding women and teaching, this is a larger subject; but I'll briefly touch on it here.

1 Tim. 2:12-14 (Darby)

12 but I do not suffer a woman to teach nor to exercise authority over man, but to be in quietness;
13 for Adam was formed first, then Eve:
14 and Adam was not deceived; but the woman, having been deceived, was in transgression.

Paul gives two reasons why women are not to teach or exercise authority over man (in the assemblies).

1) Adam was formed first and Eve was made as a helper for him. - a matter of authority

2) Adam was not deceived but Eve was. - a matter of a tendency to being deceived

These reasons clearly apply universally.

Titus 2:3-5 (ESV)

3 Older women likewise are to be reverent in behaviour, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good,
4 and so train the young women to love their husbands and children,
5 to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.

Older women are, however, to train the younger ones in those things pertaining to a woman's role.  This will, of necessity, involve teaching about a woman's role.

When someone says they will consider something you don’t belittle them. Remeber, “Do to others as you would have them do to you.” (Luke 6:31). 

I believe women can teach and lead, “I have good things to say about Phoebe, who is a leader in the church at Cenchreae, Welcome her in the Lord in a manner worthy of the saints, and assist her with anything she may need from you. For she has been a great help to many people, including me.” (Romans 6:1-2), “2Greet Tryphena and Tryphosa, women who have worked hard in the Lord,” (Romans 6:12), “Give my greetings to the brothers and sisters who are in Laodicea and to Nympha and the church that meets in her house,” (Colossians 4:15). 

3 hours ago, David1701 said:

Groan!

4 hours ago, ChickenCoop said:

You didn't fall down again I hope. 

Fell flat apparently. 

I have a certain poster on ignore,

:consoling2: 

No wonder he's not being able to learn. :rolleyes:

Here all this time I thought it was an unteachable spirit.  :whistling:

And have a nice day! 1966890669_blinkysmiley.gif.60c9bd2a0dd073491b1eb123b2bfe489.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

When someone says they will consider something you don’t belittle them. Remeber, “Do to others as you would have them do to you.” (Luke 6:31). 

If I had said something so offhand about the word of God, I hope that someone would have corrected me, as I did you.

I believe women can teach and lead, “I have good things to say about Phoebe, who is a leader in the church at Cenchreae, Welcome her in the Lord in a manner worthy of the saints, and assist her with anything she may need from you. For she has been a great help to many people, including me.” (Romans 6:1-2), “2Greet Tryphena and Tryphosa, women who have worked hard in the Lord,” (Romans 6:12), “Give my greetings to the brothers and sisters who are in Laodicea and to Nympha and the church that meets in her house,” (Colossians 4:15).

Romans 16:1,2 (NKJV)

1    I commend to you Phoebe our sister, who is a servant of the church in Cenchrea,2 that you may receive her in the Lord in a manner worthy of the saints, and assist her in whatever business she has need of you; for indeed she has been a helper of many and of myself also. 

It does not say that Phoebe is a leader!  Which dynamic equivalence "translation" are you using?

Romans 16:12 (NKJV) Greet Tryphena and Tryphosa, who have labored in the Lord. Greet the beloved Persis, who labored much in the Lord.

We should all be labouring in the Lord, whether male or female.  Leadership has nothing to do with it!

Colossians 4:15 (NKJV) Greet the brethren who are in Laodicea, and Nymphas and the church that is in his house. 

Nymphas is male.  This doesn't help your case at all!  It appears that you are using not only a dynamic equivalence "translation", but one based on a minority text as well!  The reading Nympha is only in the corrupted, so-called Critical Text.

Edited by David1701
typo

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.55
  • Days Won:  15

If I had said something so offhand about the word of God, I hope that someone would have corrected me, as I did you.

Romans 16:1,2 (NKJV)

1    I commend to you Phoebe our sister, who is a servant of the church in Cenchrea,2 that you may receive her in the Lord in a manner worthy of the saints, and assist her in whatever business she has need of you; for indeed she has been a helper of many and of myself also. 

It does not say that Phoebe is a leader!  Which dynamic equivalence "translation" are you using?

Romans 16:12 (NKJV) Greet Tryphena and Tryphosa, who have labored in the Lord. Greet the beloved Persis, who labored much in the Lord.

We should all be labouring in the Lord, whether male or female.  Leadership has nothing to do with it!

Colossians 4:15 (NKJV) Greet the brethren who are in Laodicea, and Nymphas and the church that is in his house. 

Nymphas is male.  This doesn't help your case at all!  It appears that you are using not only a dynamic equivalence "translation", but one based on a minority text as well!  The reading Nympha is only in the corrupted, so-called Critical Text.

Look it up Phoebe is “Deaconess, which also translates minister and is a leader.”:  

Deacon, (from Greek diakonos,“helper”), a member of the lowest rank of the threefold Christian ministry (below the presbyter-priest and bishop) or, in various Protestant churches, a lay official, usually ordained, who shares in the ministry and sometimes in the governance of a congregation.” (Deacon, Encyclopedia Britannica)  

Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus, To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are at Philippi, with the overseers and deacons.” (Philippians 1:1). 

Nympha in my studies comes out the feminine: 

WH Tr marginal reading read Νύμφαν, i. e. Nympha, the name of a woman; see especially Lightfoot ad loc, and p. 256).” (Colossians 2:15, Bible Hub)

4 hours ago, David1701 said:

Well Dave, I did point out the error of your misinterpretation of First Corinthians  11:14, but since you've indicated blocking me, how can I possibly show you where the huge mistake is? You can't see this, but perhaps someone you haven't blocked can show you the way.

1 Corinthians 11:14 KJV 14Doth  not even nature itself* teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

Paul is giving his own personal opinion here. The people of Corinth are Greek after all. They like the Romans had similar styles in hair and clothing. Very close in architecture, basic culture, etc. The same could be of their deities but called them by different names. 

• Zeus= Jupiter.
    • Poseidon= Neptune.
    • Hades= Pluto.
    • Hera= Juno ( No children)
    • Demeter= Ceres.
    • Hestia= Vesta (No children)
    • Ares= Mars.
    • Aphrodite= Venus.
    • Athena= Minerva.
    • Hephaestus= Vulcan

I believe we've made our point pretty clear. Too bad you can't see this. Maybe someone will copy/paste this to you so you can now understand more clearly. You're a bit heavy on the legasistic side about long hair on men. Oh well. No one is perfect. I certainly don't expect that of you. 

And have a nice day! 1687515898_blinkysmiley.gif.cef9ae788cf74f4a4bc36e3a4ceb0937.gif