So what is wrong with me? Zero motivation

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  0

How do you get motivated when you have absolutely no reason to?

I know I need a job.  But I have 25 years of experience that says, it will just be another miserable job.  You get up in the morning, at a time you don't want to get up, to go some place that you don't want to go... to do work you don't want to do.   And for what?

So you can pay for food and shelter and clothing, so that you can continue to get up, go to work, and continue the monotony of life.

You do this day after day, year after year, decade after decade.... then you die.

Having a really hard time getting motivated.  What's the point?

People keep telling me "to praise and serve G-d".  Agreed. Now what?

People say "work hard and strive for your dreams"  Agreed.  Is that not what I have been doing?

None of my dreams have come true.  Every thing I have worked for, and crumbled to dust.  For the last 10 years, when people say what are my dreams and goals, I say I have none.   What's the point of having a goal that you can't ever achieve, or a dream that never comes true?

At this point, I don't even really remember what dreams I ever had.

Entire years of my life have gone by, and I don't remember a single thing about those years.  Absolutely nothing.

So far in 2020, the only thing I remember thinking on a daily basis is....   what's the point?  Nothing is going to change.  Nothing will improve.

Hard to believe something will get better, when since 1999, it has only gotten worse.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,020
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,314
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

13 minutes ago, LonerAndy said:

I know I need a job.  But I have 25 years of experience that says, it will just be another miserable job.  You get up in the morning, at a time you don't want to get up, to go some place that you don't want to go... to do work you don't want to do.   And for what?

So you can pay for food and shelter and clothing, so that you can continue to get up, go to work, and continue the monotony of life.

You do this day after day, year after year, decade after decade.... then you die.

People say "work hard and strive for your dreams"  Agreed.  Is that not what I have been doing?

None of my dreams have come true.  Every thing I have worked for, and crumbled to dust.  For the last 10 years, when people say what are my dreams and goals, I say I have none.   What's the point of having a goal that you can't ever achieve, or a dream that never comes true?

Entire years of my life have gone by, and I don't remember a single thing about those years.  Absolutely nothing.

So far in 2020, the only thing I remember thinking on a daily basis is....   what's the point?  Nothing is going to change.  Nothing will improve.

Hard to believe something will get better, when since 1999, it has only gotten worse.

I think it's important to learn to be thankful.   Look for the good things in your life, even if they are small blessings.   Also, we can be thankful for things that we normally take for granted....like seeing, walking, hearing, being able to swallow our food.    We can be thankful we aren't in the hospital, or that we aren't homeless.   

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

26 minutes ago, LonerAndy said:

Stop navel gazing and go help someone less fortunate than you are. Some of your comments on this site are really good. Keep encouraging people. Cast your bread upon the waters...

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

Stop navel gazing and go help someone less fortunate than you are. Some of your comments on this site are really good. Keep encouraging people. Cast your bread upon the waters...

Sure, helped a women being abused by her husband, helped at the homeless shelter, gave a person a place to stay that was kicked out of her apartment, allowed an immigrant to stay here while he waited for his wife from Bangladesh to come, fixed a co-workers car that couldn't afford to have it fixed, and even though I've have had an average income of $22K for the last 10 years, I have consistently donated to charities.

If that is not enough, what more do you want me to do?

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

Sounds like you need a hobby, or at least join a group that will take your mind off of work for a while on your days off.

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

17 minutes ago, LonerAndy said:

Sure, helped a women being abused by her husband, helped at the homeless shelter, gave a person a place to stay that was kicked out of her apartment, allowed an immigrant to stay here while he waited for his wife from Bangladesh to come, fixed a co-workers car that couldn't afford to have it fixed, and even though I've have had an average income of $22K for the last 10 years, I have consistently donated to charities.

If that is not enough, what more do you want me to do?

You are doing great brother. Keep it up and do not worry about a negative self image. God knows what He is doing. My life has similarly been poured out for others and sometimes abused and misused.

But whatever. It is what it is. So keep on truckin'.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1

1 minute ago, Justin Adams said:

You are doing great brother. Keep it up and do not worry about a negative self image. God knows what He is doing. My life has similarly been poured out for others and sometimes abused and misused.

But whatever. It is what it is. So keep on truckin'.

Sounds like how I normally tell myself "Shut up and get back to work. No one cares anyway".

Keep on truckin. Just gotta get to the end.  :)

• Well Said! 1

34 minutes ago, Knotical said:

Sounds like you need a hobby, or at least join a group that will take your mind off of work for a while on your days off.

Hmmm... Interesting thought.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.19

5 hours ago, LonerAndy said:

Hi Lonerandy,

Dreams and goals are needed for people who haven't tasted the hope, the promise that comes from God. The promise of salvation and everlasting life.
They need those to keep on going. To keep having a sense of worth, a sence of meaning.

Matthew 16:26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?
Colossians 3:2 Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.
John 6:35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst.

The apostel Paul wasted years of his life persecuting followers of Christ. But nothing was wasted, eventually Christ used him for the good. He brought and still is bringing many people to Christ. Everyday is a good time to follow Christ and you surely won't be dissapointed.

God bless!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

6 hours ago, LonerAndy said:

Are you in a rut? Maybe somewhat depressed or bored?