IGNORED

Rosaries, Prayer Ropes, and Beads Oh My?!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

Question, should we use Anglican beads, rosaries,  prayer ropes at all in prayer? 

Please share your thoughts and any scriptures. 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

My opinion for what's it's worth......no.

The standard use of prayer bead is to hold on to one bead as you say a "prayer" - usually a pre-fab statement used for repetition's sake and not an original thought or word from the heart of the one who prays.  It's to help you keep count of how many times you say something by rote alone over and over and over again - ad nausem.

Jesus said not to do that.  He said that in Sermon on the Mount, Matthew 6.  Jesus said don't pray with "vain repetitions".  Just repeating the same thing mindlessly over and thinking that spinning your spiritual wheels in the mud is actually getting your somewhere when you are not.

Jesus also said that who pray like that THINK they will be heard because of all the wordiness of their speech.

Prayer is not complicated.  It's not rocket science.  Just talk to God. In reverence and in earnest.  Speak from the heart.  Tell him EVERYTHING that burdens you.  He already knows anyway.

Just imagine.  What if we treated our spouses and children like some treat God.  What if a husband never said anything to his wife except "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.  You make me happy when skies are gray.  You'll never know dear, how much I love you.  Please don't take my sunshine away."

And that's ALL he ever said to her.  Rote.  Robotic.  No passion.  No connection.  Just four sentence over and over.

God WANTS us to pray.  And it's a privilege.  Spend time with him in thanksgiving, sharing your burdens and other people's burdens, confessing your sin, and being silent - waiting for him to speak.

I'm giving the rosary beads and it's emphasis not on God, but Mary, a big no.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

What is the beads and rosaries arn’t used with repitious prayers like Pater Noster (Our Father) and Hail Mary. But instead used along with spontaneous prayer? 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Question, should we use Anglican beads, rosaries,  prayer ropes at all in prayer? 

I don't see anything good, nor bad about of them.   Specifically as it relates to the Rosary, you don't pray to Mary.  So that hole "hail Mary full of grace", that's not a thing for Evangelical Bible-based Christians.

Mary can't hear you, and she can't answer you, and she isn't holy, nor can she give you grace.

So that's not a thing.

But... if you want to hold a cross, or some beads, or whatever while you pray... what business is that to me?

Whatever floats your boats.   But you pray to the Lord Jesus, not Mary or any other claimed saints.

Jesus said, no one comes to the father but by me.... not "by me or Mary".

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, LonerAndy said:

I don't see anything good, nor bad about of them.   Specifically as it relates to the Rosary, you don't pray to Mary.  So that hole "hail Mary full of grace", that's not a thing for Evangelical Bible-based Christians.

Mary can't hear you, and she can't answer you, and she isn't holy, nor can she give you grace.

So that's not a thing.

But... if you want to hold a cross, or some beads, or whatever while you pray... what business is that to me?

Whatever floats your boats.   But you pray to the Lord Jesus, not Mary or any other claimed saints.

Jesus said, no one comes to the father but by me.... not "by me or Mary".

That’s exactly what the Anglican Rosary is, they removed the Mary Medal and replace it with The Holy Spirit. 

I’d never entertain a Hail Mary, its idolatry in my book. 

The Jesus Rope of Eastern Orthodoxy has a cross and four notches. They tend to pray “Jesus, have mercy on me,” or “Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” However, the prayer is not required to use thecrope. 

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

3 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Why do you want to?   Do you have scriptures that say use them?

If you find they enable you to pray use them, if they distract you don't use them.

2 minutes ago, Who me said:

Why do you want to?   Do you have scriptures that say use them?

If you find they enable you to pray use them, if they distract you don't use them.

I am gathering feedback. Do or don’t use them, its up to you and etc. :) 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

6 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

What is the beads and rosaries arn’t used with repitious prayers like Pater Noster (Our Father) and Hail Mary. But instead used along with spontaneous prayer? 

How does that work with spontaneous prayer?  What purpose do the beads serve if not keeping count of repetitions?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

On the one hand if it is being used to focus the mind on what and how to pray to God, it may be a good thing.  On the other hand it could fall under violating one of the commandments.  It could be used as an idol, as can the crucifix, or any image of Christ.  I would err on the side of caution and not use anything.  If you have trouble knowing what to pray just write down your thoughts then let God lead you from there.

6 hours ago, Jayne said:

How does that work with spontaneous prayer?  What purpose do the beads serve if not keeping count of repetitions?

For someone who is tactile, who likes to rub the beads like other people wittle wood and etc.  

Its just like peopls with ADHD might find praying like the Jews, rocking back and forth more soothing because its motion.