IGNORED

Should a Church forgive a pastor for deceiving police during a stressful moment?

ReneeIW

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.54
  • Days Won:  15

Forgive yes, trust and keep in leadership? No. Not until he is three to five years clean should he be able to lead another group of people. 

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1

On 7/15/2020 at 9:26 PM, Knotical said:

But if he was forgiven, and did not show any signs of going back to his old ways, would he then be fit to serve as a pastor?

1 Timothy 3:1 - 3:7 says otherwise.

On 7/15/2020 at 9:46 PM, Tristen said:

Is the deception worse than the addiction issues? Should they forgive him for the deception also since that goes hand in hand with addiction?

These are not separate issues. The deception is simply another manifestation of the addictive behaviour. He was under the influence of alcohol, and he panicked. That is a much lessor issue than His broader struggle with addiction. If anything, he should have been temporarily suspended so he could work on his problem with addiction - with a view to restore him.

My suspicion is that someone in the church is looking for another reason to undermine the Pastor's authority. Politics in the church can be toxic and ungraceful.

The Pastor's own actions are contrary to scriptures.

On 7/15/2020 at 9:52 PM, Knotical said:

I am aware of what the bible says.  But if someone has been forgiven by God then everything should be forgotten, which means he would, at that point, be above reproach, right?

No.  Holy scriptures set a higher standard for those in positions of authority.

10 hours ago, Knotical said:

But doesn't God's forgiveness completely wipe the slate clean, thus making him eligible?

So are you saying we can pick and choose what scriptures to follow?

7 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Forgive yes, trust and keep in leadership? No. Not until he is three to five years clean should he be able to lead another group of people. 

Where do see 3 to 5 years in the Bible?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

20 minutes ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

The Pastor's own actions are contrary to scriptures.

Yes. And besides our Lord, every church leader throughout history has occasionally acted in a manner that is "contrary to scriptures". I don't know enough about the specifics of the situation to give advice on potential pathways to restoration for the Pastor. I understood the question to be asking whether or not the attempt to dispose of the evidence and lie to the police about it should be considered a separate issue to the addiction. My answer to that is, "No". They are all manifestations of the same transgression.

19 minutes ago, Tristen said:

Yes. And besides our Lord, every church leader throughout history has occasionally acted in a manner that is "contrary to scriptures". I don't know enough about the specifics of the situation to give advice on potential pathways to restoration for the Pastor. I understood the question to be asking whether or not the attempt to dispose of the evidence and lie to the police about it should be considered a separate issue to the addiction. My answer to that is, "No". They are all manifestations of the same transgression.

To forgive him and welcome him back into the Christian family is fine if he has true repentance.  But he should never be in a position of authority within the church.  We have seen various pastors plead their case on national television.  But would you trust them with your money?  Think Peter Popoff as an example.  Once again, Holy Scriptures tells us what to do.

Edited by Saved.One.by.Grace

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

Well they forgave Ted Haggard for using Meth to seduce young boys.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.54
  • Days Won:  15

1 hour ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

Where do see 3 to 5 years in the Bible?

Prodigal Son. 

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1