IGNORED

Should a Church forgive a pastor for deceiving police during a stressful moment?

ReneeIW

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  0

A church’s pastor was arrested for DUI. He admitted to the arrest and his struggle with alcoholism and entered into rehab and has been sober since.
However, months after his arrest someone read the police report  and found out that when he was being processed at the police station, he took a bag of white powder out of his pocket and threw it under a table. The cop saw him and asked what it was and the pastor said he it was not his and he didn’t know where it came from. The bag was sent to the lab and it tested positive for cocaine.

The Pastor later admitted it was his.
Apparently, the church also knew that he had a past addiction to drugs from his youth and believed his stint in rehab was sufficient to forgive him for relapsing. But they want him to step down now for deceiving the police and throwing the bag under the table. Is the deception worse than the addiction issues? Should they forgive him for the deception also since that goes hand in hand with addiction?

Edited by ReneeIW

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  514
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,196
  • Content Per Day:  1.43
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

A church’s pastor was arrested for DUI. He admitted to the arrest and his struggle with alcoholism and entered into rehab and has been sober since.
However, months after his arrest someone read the police report  and found out that when he was being processed at the police station, he took a bag of white powder out of his pocket and threw it under a table. The cop saw him and asked what it was and the pastor said he it was not his and he didn’t know where it came from. The bag was sent to the lab and it tested positive for cocaine.

The Pastor later admitted it was his.
Apparently, the church also knew that he had a past addiction to drugs from his youth and believed his stint in rehab was sufficient to forgive him for relapsing. But they want him to step down now for deceiving the police and throwing the bag under the table. Is the deception worse than the addiction issues? Should they forgive him for the deception also since that goes hand in hand with addiction?

Scripture does say something to the effect, if a man can’t rule his own house in righteousness, how can he lead the Church of God....

Forgive yes, put back in charge....let him prove himself first....

My thoughts and opinion...

A fellow believer, Not me  

Edited by Not me
Spelling
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

Honestly, I am surprised the church didn't remove him from office (defrocked?) before this incident.  Based on the requirements in 2 Timothy he never should have been in that position, at least after it was first suspected of using/drinking in excess.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.53

10 minutes ago, Knotical said:

Honestly, I am surprised the church didn't remove him from office (defrocked?) before this incident.  Based on the requirements in 2 Timothy he never should have been in that position, at least after it was first suspected of using/drinking in excess.

This is what I believed also, but there are very popular pastors in Illinois who have confessed to past addictions and said they “got clean” because they were called into the ministry. I guess the school of thought is that you should not judge someone for what they did before they were born again.

Of course it should be considered that even though someone may have lived a sinful life in the past they are able to be forgiving, by God and man.  However, some additional due diligence should be considered when considering calling a man with a history of either drug/alcohol use, domestic violence, or adultery.  Basically, it possible for some people to change, especially with God's help, but we all know there has to be some trust built up.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

3 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

Anyone regardless of transgression should be forgiven. We are told to forgive. Whether or not they should continue on in their current relationship (spouse/employer-employee/friend) with others is open to question.

Ok, for the sake of this discussion, would have that same view if the person being considered to be a pastor (either senior, associate, children's, etc...) was a convicted sex offender?  Will you still have the same stance?

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

32 minutes ago, Knotical said:

Ok, for the sake of this discussion, would have that same view if the person being considered to be a pastor (either senior, associate, children's, etc...) was a convicted sex offender?  Will you still have the same stance?

Forgiven yes. Remaining in the same position (relationship) no.

I forgave a murderer. I have no contact with a murderer. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

3 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

Forgiven yes. Remaining in the same position (relationship) no.

I forgave a murderer. I have no contact with a murderer. 

I wasn't talking about allowing them to remain the same position.  I was talking about having someone be considered for a call as a pastor in your church and they are a convicted sex offender.  Would you recommend your church call someone with that kind of history?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,269
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

What I believe.
We all have a past, as lost, and as believers.
The scriptures lay out the requirements for those in authority.
The individual in question transgressed scripture while in a position of authority.
He should be removed from his position, according to scripture. It is plainly stated.
We should forgive anyone, as scripture states. What God does is His business.
If the pastor genuinely confessed his sin, God's word says He will forgive him.
I am surprised with all his deceptions he wasn't found out during his pastoral interviews.
He would not be allowed to continue as pastor, given to much wine (+ drugs/lies) according to scripture.
As a side bar, my daughters pastor of many years is a self admitted ex heavy drug addict.
And he is, by all appearances, sold out to Jesus. For many years now, and a loyal shepherd.
His past was revealed prior to being called to the church.
The problem with the pastor in question was not his past, had it been revealed.

But what he did in the present, as a shepherd of the sheep.
He was not qualified to be a pastor, according to scripture.
I do not think anyone would be comfortable with a sex offender as a pastor, nor need to be.
There are many places of ministry he would be better fitted for, should he be genuinely changed.