Tigger56

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  0

As I walk through each day I pray for "Jesus Moments", times when I will simply think of him, or see things that cause me to praise him. He helps me throughout the day in even the simplest of things. I share a simple thought He gave me yesterday. My mom is about to have her 84th birthday. She doesn't get around very well, it is very difficult to buy her clothes and she doesn't need anymore jewelry. She is no longer able to cook and doesn't go out to restaurants. My wife and I was having a difficulty time thinking of what to get her. I asked my mom what she wanted for her birthday and she nothing that she could think of. As I left my parents' home I simply asked the Lord to guide me. You may think it is silly but the words, "Doctor Kildare" came into my mind.  I asked my dad about it later. When I was 5 years old, the show, "Doctor Kildare" came out. My dad said it was my mom's favorite show at the time and that he would put us kids to bed on the night it was on. He would give her a pepsi and a candy bar and let her watch the show in peace and quiet. It was a special evening for her. So my wife and I have purchased season one of Doctor Kildare on DVD, this coming Tuesday we are going to bring it over in the evening. We are giving her a pepsi and a candy bar and putting the show on. It should be a pleasant memory for her. I thank the Lord for all the thoughts, answered prayers, and moments He blesses me with each and everyday.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  665
  • Content Per Day:  0.44

Tigger56: I hope that goes well for you and your mother. I have found over the years that the simple things in life are quite often the best, of the best, moments. For instance, as my kids were growing up, birthdays were spent by going to the park, taking cake and ice cream. Playing on the playground, walking trails etc. When we had birthdays at home during the summers, we would invite over close friends, have a informal baseball game in the front yard with some trees being the bases.

Then, after the kids grew up, we transitioned to going to Restraunts, or movies, etc.   However, the best times we and the kids remember, are the simple home and park outings. Probably don't want to run base ball bases, but, simple cake and ice cream at home, and maybe a movie on the TV are the most enjoyable birthdays. Just spending time with each other is the best part of the get-togethers. My kids are all adults now, but, we can still have fun at the parks with our grand kids.

All families are different (I suppose), yet, there are common traits of a loving family; birthday celebrations (however they are done)are one of them. Not everybody reading your post has had that kind of enjoyable family memories. You should count yourself blessed that you have good memories of your parents.

I do know that it is a Godly, God honoring thing to honor your parents, and do what you can for them. After all, it is the first commandment with a promise.  I do rejoice with you that God showed you what to do for your mom. That is really cool!!!

Let us know how that works out . . .

Grace & Peace to you and yours . . . Ray .  .  .

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,255
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, Tigger56 said:

As I walk through each day I pray for "Jesus Moments", times when I will simply think of him, or see things that cause me to praise him.

I  was in my shop yesterday ripping a couple of dozen sheets of plywood into
hundreds of pieces to assemble for a bunch of industrial cabinet enclosures.
My wife informed me the temp in the greenhouse room was 111 degrees. (central Texas)
Taking a sit down break, I had a moment, like your 'Jesus moment', to sit down and appreciate I was in my shop,
earning an income, with air conditioning with three big fans blowing, dust vac sucking out the saw dust, 
pandora squeaking out old favorite tunes, and enjoying this current blessed situation.
I could have been outside framing up a house, or putting on a roof, with the sweat boiling in my eyes.
But the Lord enabled me over my latter years  to have indoor work in my shop building cabinets. (Thank you Lord)
Then got back up, switched on the table saw and dust vac, started ripping plywood  again and realized it don't get
no better than this for an old fart that doesn't like working in the heat/sun any more.
But then the door swung open and a half dozen little grand kids swarmed in and insisted on a group hug.
Jesus proved it could get better....
:)
God is so worthy........

Nice thread, Tigger...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.44

tigger i'm glad you are doing this for your mom,  she will enjoy it :)

15 hours ago, Sower said:

I  was in my shop yesterday ripping a couple of dozen sheets of plywood into
hundreds of pieces to assemble for a bunch of industrial cabinet enclosures.
My wife informed me the temp in the greenhouse room was 111 degrees. (central Texas)
Taking a sit down break, I had a moment, like your 'Jesus moment', to sit down and appreciate I was in my shop,
earning an income, with air conditioning with three big fans blowing, dust vac sucking out the saw dust, 
pandora squeaking out old favorite tunes, and enjoying this current blessed situation.
I could have been outside framing up a house, or putting on a roof, with the sweat boiling in my eyes.
But the Lord enabled me over my latter years  to have indoor work in my shop building cabinets. (Thank you Lord)
Then got back up, switched on the table saw and dust vac, started ripping plywood  again and realized it don't get
no better than this for an old fart that doesn't like working in the heat/sun any more.
But then the door swung open and a half dozen little grand kids swarmed in and insisted on a group hug.
Jesus proved it could get better....
:)
God is so worthy........

Nice thread, Tigger...

Thanks for sharing. The hugs and kisses from grandkids can't be beat! Also when you mentioned building cabinets it made me think of a very dear friend that passed away a number of years ago. He was a carpenter and finally got into primarily building cabinets. By the way, I lived for a couple of years near Longview, Texas. Don't know how far that is from where you reside, but I have fond memories of Texas.

8 hours ago, shortangel said:

tigger i'm glad you are doing this for your mom,  she will enjoy it :)

I think she will to. I told my brother yesterday what I was getting for our mom. He decided he wanted to be a part of it so he went ahead and ordered season 2 and we will give her both along with the Pepsi and candy bar and put the first episode on for her to play. 

• Thumbs Up 2

17 hours ago, Ray12614 said:

Tigger56: I hope that goes well for you and your mother. I have found over the years that the simple things in life are quite often the best, of the best, moments. For instance, as my kids were growing up, birthdays were spent by going to the park, taking cake and ice cream. Playing on the playground, walking trails etc. When we had birthdays at home during the summers, we would invite over close friends, have a informal baseball game in the front yard with some trees being the bases.

Then, after the kids grew up, we transitioned to going to Restraunts, or movies, etc.   However, the best times we and the kids remember, are the simple home and park outings. Probably don't want to run base ball bases, but, simple cake and ice cream at home, and maybe a movie on the TV are the most enjoyable birthdays. Just spending time with each other is the best part of the get-togethers. My kids are all adults now, but, we can still have fun at the parks with our grand kids.

All families are different (I suppose), yet, there are common traits of a loving family; birthday celebrations (however they are done)are one of them. Not everybody reading your post has had that kind of enjoyable family memories. You should count yourself blessed that you have good memories of your parents.

I do know that it is a Godly, God honoring thing to honor your parents, and do what you can for them. After all, it is the first commandment with a promise.  I do rejoice with you that God showed you what to do for your mom. That is really cool!!!

Let us know how that works out . . .

Grace & Peace to you and yours . . . Ray .  .  .

Thanks, I will let you know how it goes. We are delaying the birthday celebration until Thursday instead of Tuesday as my brother wanted to be a part of it so he ordered season 2 of Dr. Kildare.  I told my mom that we had ordered her a birthday gift and she is okay with celebrating her birthday on Sunday when it really is and then celebrating it again on Thursday! Who wouldn't love two birthdays instead of one?

You are right that doing the simple things together are the precious moments that we treasure. When growing up my dad took lots of slides. He loved to take us on hikes, fishing, and camping and we have many pictures of many times together. I still have them along with a projector and screen. I also took slides when my kids were small. My kids love coming over and seeing them, though we don't do it often, that makes it still a treat. Now the grandchildren love seeing them too. I am blessed with a large and loving family.

We like playing "corn hole", "horseshoes", etc... I have an old tire swing in my back yard for the grandkids. My parents live next door and they have a swimming pool that adds to the enjoyment. My dad also has a golf cart that allows the grandkids to have a lot of fun. I also have all of them want to come over if I cook out burgers and promise them home made ice cream (not all the time, it is a lot of trouble, I still have the hand cranked kind).  I made an outdoor patio in my backyard under shade trees. I enclosed and area with bricks on the outside line and filled the interior with small river gravel. I put in a fire pit, picnic table and chairs. I put up outside lights installed in small upright logs for night lighting along with some tiki torches. We are enjoying the picnic table and chairs and once cool weather comes we will enjoy the fire pit again. I am blessed that all my children live near to me. I also have cousins and other family not far away. The Lord has blessed me greatly and the memories I have and the memories I am building keep me praising the Lord and am very thankful for my many Jesus moments. In this time of so much turmoil the comfort and strength of family is a blessing that I can't praise the Lord enough for!

For those who expressed an interest.... we gave my mother yesterday for her 84th birthday, a candy bar, a soda, and the first season of Dr. Kildare. She loved it and we had to put on the first episode for her to watch. The show came out in 1961 and ended in 1966, so she didn't remember the episode but remembered the show and how much she use to love watching it back in a time when you didn't have DVR's or other means of recording. She doesn't ever remember ever seeing reruns of the show. It brought back good memories of when one night a week back when my brothers, my sister and I were small that my dad would put us to bed early and let my mom watch the show with a candy bar and soda by herself. In 1961 my mother was 25 years old and she already had 5 children.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

On 7/17/2020 at 6:05 AM, Tigger56 said:

As I walk through each day I pray for "Jesus Moments", times when I will simply think of him, or see things that cause me to praise him. He helps me throughout the day in even the simplest of things. I share a simple thought He gave me yesterday. My mom is about to have her 84th birthday. She doesn't get around very well, it is very difficult to buy her clothes and she doesn't need anymore jewelry. She is no longer able to cook and doesn't go out to restaurants. My wife and I was having a difficulty time thinking of what to get her. I asked my mom what she wanted for her birthday and she nothing that she could think of. As I left my parents' home I simply asked the Lord to guide me. You may think it is silly but the words, "Doctor Kildare" came into my mind.  I asked my dad about it later. When I was 5 years old, the show, "Doctor Kildare" came out. My dad said it was my mom's favorite show at the time and that he would put us kids to bed on the night it was on. He would give her a pepsi and a candy bar and let her watch the show in peace and quiet. It was a special evening for her. So my wife and I have purchased season one of Doctor Kildare on DVD, this coming Tuesday we are going to bring it over in the evening. We are giving her a pepsi and a candy bar and putting the show on. It should be a pleasant memory for her. I thank the Lord for all the thoughts, answered prayers, and moments He blesses me with each and everyday.

Jesus is with me constantly and I have a constant relationship with Him. I liked Dr. Kildare as well:)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,938
  • Content Per Day:  3.06
  • Days Won:  1

On 7/17/2020 at 8:05 PM, Tigger56 said:

Nice story bro.

How bout some Jesus DVD on the other day, plus pepsi and candy bar as well.