IGNORED

Calvinism vs. Arminianism- Are we missing the boat?

Gideon

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  79
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,177
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1

41 minutes ago, David1701 said:

Based on what the OP says, it is about:

1) The Calvinism vs Arminianism debate being a smokescreen from the devil

2) Being diligent to make our calling and election sure

3) Bewaring of grabbing doctrines to assure us of our salvation

4) Diligence being an important part of our assurance of salvation

5) Examining ourselves to see whether or not we are in the faith

6) Learning how to abide in Christ

7) Making a distinction between believing on the Lord and believing in him

8) What to do, if we don't see the mark of Jesus on our thoughts and deeds

I am searching for a clapping emoji. LOL. Here, this oughta do. ?

blessings to you, David

Gids

Edited by Gideon

33 minutes ago, branchesofHim said:

Calvinism, Armenianism, Lutherism, Satanism, ..... whatever the ism may be is pointless and irrelevant to "canonized" scripture ....... Shalom.

The spell check police will get you. Arminianism. You are welcome. LOL. 

Gids

1 hour ago, Marathoner said:

The direct manner is the only way, friend. Inferences are subject to error, don't you agree?

If the supposed inference is explained by the poster as not meaning what the reader inferred that it meant, and the reader continues to infer the meaning as an insult, it is no longer a language issue but an issue of taking offense even when there was none. Can we not walk together in agreement on this matter?

Gideon

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  211
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,463
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Birthday:  01/23/1966

9 minutes ago, Gideon said:

The spell check police will get you. Arminianism. You are welcome. LOL. 

Gids

LOL ................ :red-neck-laughing-smiley-emoticon:

• Well Said! 1

1 hour ago, Alive said:

Gideon--could you also clarify who the 'we' is when you write? This will also help much.

Let me see if I can help here. The "we" is the term I use for the entire body of Christ. when I male a statement as to the "we", it is not meant as an attack on every single saint. We are one body. As a whole, we are pretty much divided, and few are walking in the. glorious loverty of the children of God. 

Does my use of the word "we" then  apply to all? As individuals, no. Each one of us is walking at a certain level. Are the majority walking in victory? No. Are some? Thank God yes. However, generally, I have found that these are in no way offended by the use of the word "we", for they too see our lack as a whole, and long to see it changed? 

Which brings me to the next point. As a body, we are all in this together. If the body is weak, the one who is walking in victory is still weak, collectively. We are not lone rangers. We are ONE body 

If one reads the words of exhortation I offer, and reads the word "we" and their hearts do not see that it applies to them, then praise God. To these, I ask forbearance, that they do not take it as an insult, for it is never meant to be such. 

There is a verse in the old testament, saying to paraphrase that Gods blessibgs are withheld because every man looks after his own house and no own is looking after the house of the Lord. WE are the house of the Lord, and overall, we are sickly, divided, defeated and in shambles.  Are some better off than others? Absolutely. Hower, we must fear a mentality that says "I am ok, even if you are not, so it is no. big deal." No, it IS a big deal because it is a big deal to God.  

We must look at the overall health of the church and let the weight of the lack of overcoming in our body as a whole drive us to prayer, to cry out   "Let not the heathen rule over thy people to bring them to reproach."

We are in this together. If I am doing fine, am I still part of the "we" that needs revival? Oh, yes. Absolutely. I am most definitely in the "we" of which I speak. 

I pray this helps, dear brother. 

blessings to you, Alive

Gideon. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.52
  • Days Won:  12

58 minutes ago, Gideon said:

I am searching for a clapping emoji. LOL. Here, this oughta do. ?

blessings to you, David

Gids

My summary of your post does not mean that I agree with all of it.  I disagree with point 1); I have not come across any situation in which point 3) is necessary; and I disagree with point 7), since believing in and on the Lord are synonymous.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.71

Seeking clarity is not taking offense.

All of the true body of Christ are already overcomers. The Holy Spirit is there in each individual. Collectively they make up the body of Christ: the Church.

There appears to be a confusing of the difference between those claiming to be in the body of Christ, and those who are born again Christians.

Those who have not overcome are not Christians. They are not part of the Church.

• Well Said! 1

2 hours ago, David1701 said:

Walking as an overcomer means that your life is characterised by faith in the Lord that works by love; and your faith results in good works.

I would also appreciate it, if you would answer my other recent post to you.  Here it is again, in case you missed it.

I'd like to clear something up, Gideon.  Yes, or no answers will suffice, unless you feel the need to qualify the answer.

1) Do you believe that the Calvinism vs Arminianism debate is something intended to conceal, confuse or obscure?

2) Do you believe that such discussions are from the devil?

What you posted is worded so that the answers are "Yes." and "Yes."; but I'd like to know if that's really what you meant.

I would be glad to. 

1) Not at all. The discussion of who election works is a worthy discussion. However, with that said, I do feel like we can fall into a trap of majoring on the minors, and miss the more important task of examining ourselves whether we truly be in the faith, where Christ's character is  grown in us. 

The 'smokescreen' I referred to is not one created by those discussing and defending their point of view, but is subtly piped in by our enemy.

This then leads directly to your second question. 

2) Do I believe such discussion are from the devil? Absolutely not. As I just stated, discussions like this can be profitable, but can also lead us into a place where we are content simply knowing about God rather than knowing Him. Does that make sense?

The devil loves to get us so involved with our theology and doctrines, and  he most likely enjoys seeing the endless debates that change no one. This can also be said about other often debated doctrines. 

Could I have substituted the battle over faith without works vs. faith shown by works? Absolutely. The truth is, when I made mu OP, I had just read a post on Calvinism and it was fresh in my mind. I hope this persuades those thinking I am anti-doctrine or anti-posters who discuss doctrine that this was not my intent at all. 

However, concerning our desire for others to see why our doctrine is THE doctrine, we seem to have arrived in our Christianity where good doctrine is the ultimate goal, rather than good doctrine being the stepping stone to leading us to a deeper place in God where we truly are walking in palpable victory.

Men get their doctrine down, drive an immovable stake, defend it at all costs, and very few, once they think they understand correct doctrine, seem to ever change directions or go on to walking as an overcomer, full of fruits that display Christ.  I have known a few, but they are rare. Unfortunately, for many, if not most, they never seem to get to the point they are abiding in the vine, where they do not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. They think correct doctrine is the goal, so once they think they have "it", they stop seeking. 

That fact should give us great pause. The reality that such is not the case, and we are as a whole content right where we are should give us even more pause. If abiding in the vibe is possible, then victory over the influence of the world, our fleshly nature and the devil himself is as well. God did not give us this hope as a  carrot on a stick, providing us with a target to aim for but never hit. 

If Paul told us it is actually possible to bring every thought into obedience, then surely this includes our actions as well, amen?  We must ask ourselves "Is our human condition an excuse for not walking with sin under our feet or not?" If so, then the promises of God can truthfully be chucked out the window with yesterday's leftovers, for no matter how wonderful they are, our fallen nature will keep us resorting to using grace as an excuse for failure, rather than our reason for why we can actually overcome. Grace is far bigger than we have realized..... but we are about to discover how amazing and thorough God's salvation is. 

I hope this helps.

blessings to you, David.

Gids 

1 hour ago, leah777 said:

Seeking clarity is not taking offense.

All of the true body of Christ are already overcomers. The Holy Spirit is there in each individual. Collectively they make up the body of Christ: the Church.

There appears to be a confusing of the difference between those claiming to be in the body of Christ, and those who are born again Christians.

Those who have not overcome are not Christians. They are not part of the Church.

May I ask you, Leah. Were the Laodecians overcomers? Were the Laodecians the true church? God counseled them and addressed them as His body and yet urged them as to their need to repent and to overcome. If this be the case, then what many are believing, that we are overcomers even if we are overcome by sin is a false  understanding of the truth. 

Was Paul walking in victory as an  overcomer in Romans 7? No. He was imprisoned by sin and self. He did not pat himself on the back, telling himself he was an overcomer, He cried out to God to deliver him from his body of death....his old nature. And God did! 

blessings to you, Leah,

Gideon

1 hour ago, David1701 said:

My summary of your post does not mean that I agree with all of it.  I disagree with point 1); I have not come across any situation in which point 3) is necessary; and I disagree with point 7), since believing in and on the Lord are synonymous.

1) Do you think the devil loves to see Christians bicker about whether musical  instruments are allowed in church? Infant baptism? Following the sabbath? OSAS? How many change their minds? Christian doctrinecis profitable IF it leads to a deeper abiding. If it does not, what is its purpose? 

The smokescreen I refer to is satan's appeal to our intellect grabbing hold of doctrine..... any doctrine..... rather than our heart crying out for wisdom so thwt we can walk pleasing to God, growing up into Him in all things. 

3) Doctrines are not to give us assurance, but are to lead us to Christ who then assures us by indwelling  us, causing us to obey Him and to become fruitful. 

This leads directly to #7. Believing in Him can be done by demons. Believing ON Him requires us to stop believing ON us. It is very possible to believing in Him with our heads, yet our hearts may not even be in the equation. Faith is not an exercise in mental assent with our brains. Faith is a gift God gives to a yielded heart. 

blessings, 

Gids

Edited by Gideon