IGNORED

Calvinism vs. Arminianism- Are we missing the boat?

Gideon

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  79
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,177
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, Alive said:

You misunderstand me, Leah. I am referring to the cutting and pasting the same two paragraphs. I agree with you regarding reports. The function is there for a reason. Perhaps, I should not have mentioned that there have been a bunch of them. Thank you.

I fully comprehend rhat I may not be sharing an opinion that gets accolades, but at the same time, unless I am missing something, neither am I breaking any of the TOS.  If you know that I am, please inform me so I can correct it and I will apologize as well. 

I fully realize that my discussing my take on the state of the church as a whole is not pleasant to read.  However, I have shown scripturally in this post many times what God has specifically promised to do in us if we are truly abiding in Him as He desires. Obedience is not demanded in the New Covenant. It is promised! 

So, if we are still walking with secret sins, with  disobedience in certain areas, with self love, with lukewarmness towards the lost, with lack of spiritual fruits, whether any wants to admit it or not, something is wrong in our understanding. Now, we can get angry with the poster.... me in this case.... for bringing this to our attention. But that does not change what God has promised us, nor the state we find ourselves in.

May God open our eyes to the truth. He wants to deliver us from US, but until we get the same heart that Paul had in Romans 7, and admit our wandering heart, and our sin of unbelief in limiting the Holy One of Israel,  and our lack of love for others, and understand that time, by itself, will not change us, no matter how long we wait, we will continue to walk towards the tsunami of evil headed our direction, woefully unprepared to weather the storm soom to come upon us. 

Now is the time to dig deep, to lay our pride down at getting offended  because someone points out we are not walking in what God intended. My words are not meant to criticize, but to bring  us to our knees to seek His face to save us to the uttermost, which He not only wants but is fully committed to fulfilling in us if we will but admit we need it, and want it. 

How do I know this?  How do I know we are missing the power if God in our lives? How can you? Simply read about the early church. Their love, their zeal, their victory over self- love and self-preservation, their hunger to obey the Lord in all things, their taking the words of God to walk as living sacrifices as a real possibility..... these all make us pale badly in comparison  as the modern church who thinks they have the same Spirit, the same heart as the early saints did, content without true godliness,  having need of nothing. 

We can say because we have grace, we have need of nothing, but that simply is revealing the same heart that plagued the saints of Laodecia.

I pray earnestly with every fiber of my being that we finally see that, for when we do, and our blinders come off as to the fullness of what our salvation actually is, our world will get rocked and our jaws will hit the floor.... and yes, great joy shall be upon our heads. GREAT joy. 

blessings to all, 

Gideon

5 hours ago, Alive said:

I find it incredible that you continue in every thread to make these sweeping remarks about the brethren and that you aren't aware of how this is at the core of folks that have taken issue with it. You write thus as though you are intimately familiar with the hearts and lives of the saints across the world. Have you traveled and fellowshipped so widely? Do you really know these things? If so, how?

You intimate, by your many statements, that you see so much more clearly than your brethren---how is this so? Do 'WE' not all have the indwelling Lord and Spirit? And does not He work in us all to will and do of His good pleasure?

Phil. 2:13 for hit is God who works in you, both to will and to work for ihis good pleasure.

I trust that the Lord is indeed about the business of 'building His Church'.

@Gideon are you about the business of actually discipling brothers and sisters wherever you fellowship in real time and space?

Brother, I have shared in the past where I have come from and how I have come to this place where I now stand. When I was ready to concede that I would never overcome my evil fleshly nature, God miraculously visited me and showed me why I was failing continually. He then asked me to share with any and all I have come in contact with the missing understanding that unlocks the promises of God to actually see them be fulfilled in our walks. 

Have i "arrived"? LOL, far from it. But I also would be remiss if I did not testify as well that the changes He has brought about in me these past fourteen years after 38 years in bondage to sin as a child of God astound even me. 

What reason can be offered for any to  believe me? There is none. You do not know me, nor my life, how I live. I could be living the life of a saint, or be a crafty old man with an ipad, ready to enjoy sowing discord among the saints. 

But what I share are not my "opinions" but simply truths directly from God's Word. And it is here you must go for truth. I pray you who struggle with sin and self know this. Those who long for more than just being forgiven, and actually hunger and thirst for righteousness, and for the Holy character of God to be imprinted on their lives..... they WILL be filled. Of that, there can be no doubt. To you who cannot walk as you desire deep in your soul, to you who hate your life and your inability to live lives that bring glory to your God, rejoice! The words I share..... His words, not mine.... offer great hope.

Who is it that will mount up with wings as eagles? Those who have no strength..... and KNOW it. Desperation is a hard place to arrive at, but it is there that the seeds of life can sprout.

blessings to all, 

Gideon

Edited by Gideon

4 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

I really needed to read these esp abt how abiding in God will help one produce good fruit.

May God bless you richly. 

Gids

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

55 minutes ago, Gideon said:

Brother, I have shared in the past where I have come from and how I have come to this place where I now stand. When I was ready to concede that I would never overcome my evil fleshly nature, God miraculously visited me and showed me why I was failing continually. He then asked me to share with any and all I have come in contact with the missing understanding that unlocks the promises of God to actually see them be fulfilled in our walks. 

Have i "arrived"? LOL, far from it. But I also would be remiss if I did not testify as well that the changes He has brought about in me these past fourteen years after 38 years in bondage to sin as a child of God astound even me. 

What reason can be offered for any to  believe me? There is none. You do not know me, nor my life, how I live. I could be living the life of a saint, or be a crafty old man with an ipad, ready to enjoy sowing discord among the saints. 

But what I share are not my "opinions" but simply truths directly from God's Word. And it is here you must go for truth. I pray you who struggle with sin and self know this. Those who long for more than just being forgiven, and actually hunger and thirst for righteousness, and for the Holy character of God to be imprinted on their lives..... they WILL be filled. Of that, there can be no doubt. To you who cannot walk as you desire deep in your soul, to you who hate your life and your inability to live lives that bring glory to your God, rejoice! The words I share..... His words, not mine.... offer great hope.

Who is it that will mount up with wings as eagles? Those who have no strength..... and KNOW it. Desperation is a hard place to arrive at, but it is there that the seeds of life can sprout.

blessings to all, 

Gideon

I get that---many teach the reality of understanding that we died and Christ lives in us and that we can 'reckon' that so. I learned those things and began that walk in my first year in the Lord--over 45 years ago. This is good teaching, but that is not what folks grouse at.

It is your assumption that the 'Church'--'We' don't walk in that same light to whatever degree our Lord Graces each with.

These truths are as old as Paul whom the Lord used to unveil them for the Body.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Josheb said:

The post is reported. The line of personal attack was just crossed and I suspect now the mods will shut down the thread. Go back and read what is says about diligence, fruit-bearing and life examination. Edit out the ad hominems before the mods get to them and maybe the thread will remain because several good exchanges are happening aside from me being insulted.

You are quite amazing, my dear brother. To say you are not seeing things as they really are is now a personal attack... and one worthy of being reported? Really? This is so very sad. I will leave it at that as anything I say past this will no doubt be reported.... again.... as some sort of nefarious attack. 

be blessed, dear brother

Gids

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

This thread isn't going be shut down at this point. There are some things that I see moving forward and I hope this continues. Let's please try to stick to the topic--I know sometimes this is difficult.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.52
  • Days Won:  12

27 minutes ago, Josheb said:

Yep. But I would go further to include the other aspects this op cited: fruit-bearing and examination. The logical extension of 1) having to add things to our faith, and blindness or "nearsightedness," as Peter calls it, necessarily includes fruit and examination. This must be both dispositional and episodic for doing good is of little value if goodness does not become part of or more of my character. A single act of love does not make me by nature a loving person; it just made me a person who loved on that one occasion. Perhaps five or ten individual episodes would not do the trick. As you and I would agree, I think, it is a life-long process to become something more than we were made into at the point of conversion. 

Agreed.

This, in turn, speaks to an subtle, often unspoken element in these kind of ops that a few posters here have noticed: the fundamental belief the Church is corrupt whereas when the life in Christ is considered in light of what I've just said in the first paragraph we understood the Church is incomplete and imperfect but not corrupt. Just as we, individually, have been washed clean so we corporately have also been washed, are being washed, and will be washed clean. The "dirty-church" view is bad ecclesiology. 

Yes: I've pointed this out to the original poster several times, including this thread.

Having everything we need and already capable of participation in the divine nature we add to our faith a pile of stuff taking care not to forget our having been cleansed.

A life characterized by the spiritual disciplines (confession, repentance, restitution and penalty, forgiveness, and reconciliation, etc.) when lived within religious disciplines (fellowship, reading, prayer, giving, service, and evangelism, etc.) maintains the conditions Peter cited. This is enormously rich and powerful so the proof-texting of verse 10 or its treatment in neglect of all else that is said in the passage is something I would say we should avoided. 

Yes; context is always important.

Edited by David1701

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

I guess I am glad that Alive says the thread is not going to be shut down.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

Perhaps it is best at this point for me to blast into the diligence of keeping calling and election sure, for blasting anyone else accomplishes nothing.

I have stated before that among Arminians, there are both holders of OSAS and OSnAS. A big board I went to years ago was run by an OSAS Arminian. I personally am OSnAS, based on Arminius' writing about "it is impossible for a believer to lose their salvation, but it might be possible for a person to cease being a believer."

No one can snatch a believer out of Jesus' hand, but someone, IMO, can walk away from His hand.

And so, believing this, the words of Arminius translated from Dutch as I understand them - there is only NOW.

It is always NOW. Every day I must ask myself "Do I continue to believe and confess?" And there has not come a morning when I concluded "ya know, I no longer believe, I will no longer confess Christ". Never happened in a bunch of yesterdays, didn't happen today - and tomorrow is out of the equation, for there is only NOW.

So I can sing BLESSED ASSURANCE with the most hardcore OSAS believers, Calvinists or Arminians or neither.

9 minutes ago, Episcopius said:

Perhaps it is best at this point for me to blast into the diligence of keeping calling and election sure, for blasting anyone else accomplishes nothing.

I have stated before that among Arminians, there are both holders of OSAS and OSnAS. A big board I went to years ago was run by an OSAS Arminian. I personally am OSnAS, based on Arminius' writing about "it is impossible for a believer to lose their salvation, but it might be possible for a person to cease being a believer."

No one can snatch a believer out of Jesus' hand, but someone, IMO, can walk away from His hand.

And so, believing this, the words of Arminius translated from Dutch as I understand them - there is only NOW.

It is always NOW. Every day I must ask myself "Do I continue to believe and confess?" And there has not come a morning when I concluded "ya know, I no longer believe, I will no longer confess Christ". Never happened in a bunch of yesterdays, didn't happen today - and tomorrow is out of the equation, for there is only NOW.

So I can sing BLESSED ASSURANCE with the most hardcore OSAS believers, Calvinists or Arminians or neither.

I like your wit and spunk and also find myself in agreement with you here on this post. 

blessings, 

Gideon