Roy B.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Why is it that Christians don't share their struggles with fighting sin?  It seems I'm battling sin every hour of everyday and other Christians I know never seem to have a problem.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  478
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,565
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  9

2 hours ago, Roy B. said:

Why is it that Christians don't share their struggles with fighting sin?  It seems I'm battling sin every hour of everyday and other Christians I know never seem to have a problem.

I think everyone struggles at times with sin and temptation. I find it's my thoughts that lead to sins. We really have to keep our mind on heavenly things. Also sins of the flesh flee dont fight. You cannot fight against certain temptations but you can flee or run away from them. If someone is making you angry dont keep talking to them but walk away and cool off and maybe think of bible verses. Anger can lead to wrong actions. Dont fight anger but walk away from what is getting you angry. I am not saying you have a problem with anger but to show we need to flee temptations to sin. But its common that all Christians feel temptation. God will make a way of escape so we can bear it. But we have to take the way of escape. Your not alone at all. We have to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus christ. Keep studying the bible and keep fellowshiping with other believers. It's easier to walk the Christian life if we are not doing it alone. Blessings !

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

I struggled years ago with the sin many guys have. And at one point there were difficult trials put in my life. I finally had to make a conscious decision to change, basically repent. It took a long time but now I’m in a much better place. Does the temptation occasionally rise, sure does. But I credit this action of obedience is part of the Holy Spirit living in me now. I’ll responses to trials in our lives and our active obedience are not meant to be easy but rather bring us closer to Him.

Just my two cents, hope this helps.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.80

Finally a thread I cam understand. Since we are creatures of habit. addiction is our wors foe. Im not talking about common habits like waking up with need for coffee. Like you winning the war may seem a little long if not years. I had several hbits to deal with. Remember this one thing, True faith will not give up. I had to pray daily for the Lords forgiveness. Some times you may overcome one but not another. Don't listen to satan the father of lies. I prayed for victory and still I was losing as it seemed.

If not for grace we would  have no hope. God had to personally intervene and gave something  to help and it worked. Perseverance will give God patience and long suffering. He never left me to to die. He won't leave anyone who truly struggles with their giants. Today I am free not because of me but because of His love.

They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, and they shall mount up with wings as eagles, and they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31 

Edited by Mike Mclees
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  79
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,177
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1

On 8/2/2020 at 9:14 PM, Roy B. said:

Would it not be more in line with the promises of God to share how we successfully manage to walk as overcomers?  

Has God not promised to keep us from falling? Has He not given us shields of faith that He promises will quench all the fiery arrows of the enemy?  Did He not assure us that He would never allow us to be tempted above our ability to resist? That He would make a way of escape when the temptation comes in hot and heavy so that we might be able to weather the storm and come out still holy on the other side? 

May I applaud you as to your honest question? Such probing honest is rare these days. it makes people uncomfortable... even accused. But should it not be the question that is on all of our hearts, especially given the lateness of the hour and the temptations that seem to increase in both their numbers as well as their intensity on a daily basis? 

Why, in almost every post here, do we find every subject known to man discussed to death, except the one subject that should be on our hearts, which is how to walk in the victory He  clearly promised us? 

I pray no readers, nor yourself, sees this post in any way other than the intent of my heart.... which is to cry out declaring that God.... the God we serve, the God we love, is not a man that He should lie. It is flat out impossible. He says whst He means and means what He says. 

If He has told us His will is that we know how to possess our vessels in sanctification and honor, if He has told us that we are to bring every thought into subjection to the obedience of Christ, and then given us His assurance.... His promises... that He will indeed cause us to walk as obedient children, delivered from the power of darkness.... should we not be found crying out as to HOW to walk with our foot on sin's neck, and not visa versa? He has indeed declared these things but up till now, on our part..... silence. . 

Is it actually possible to walk in victory over the world, the flesh and the devil, despite our innate weaknesses, our humanness? Is grace simply there to forgive us when we do not measure up? Is our walk destined to be a carrot on a stick approach to holiness, where we never actually get to eat the carrot? Can a man or woman actually walk holy in this life? God says we can. And what shall be our response? 

Why are we found in the position we seem entrenched  in? Why do we find ourselves imprisoned, yet somehow happily content, living out our lives in Romans 7, yet convincing ourselves  we live in the benefits of chapter 8.

How hard it is for us to admit our walks profess otherwise, to finally agree that we do not possess.... yet...... the heart that Paul did.... his desire, his desperation to walk pleasing to God despite his humanness. He cried out that he was a wretched man, trapped and imprisoned by sins big and small. We, on the other hand, have patted ourselves on the back, telling each other no one is perfect and after all, we are only human. 

Why did Paul graduate to Romans 8, while we sit still imprisoned in defeat, even if it is forgiven. Why? Paul had come to the place he HATED himself..... his old carnal nature. His disobedience. His selfishness. His inability to love as God has asked of us. He wanted to, desperately. But how to perform it, he found not. We are simply not seeking such a place, because we do not believe it possible. 

How did he differ from our current state we find the church in? He refused to lower the standard that God desires.... and can make us into...holy  children. He refused to limit grace to being just a covering for our continued sins. He refused to believe that the God who declared Himself our deliverer could not, or worse, would not, actually  deliver us from evil, just as He taught us to pray. 

May we all, everyone who loves the Lord in sincerity, come to the blessed point that they refuse to accept that sin must be our master till death does what that blood of Jesus cannot. It is time we believed our God, no matter what it does to our theology, 

Blessings to you for the cry of your heart. God is about to do a miracle among us. Our eyes will witness the church arising from the ashes of religious observances, endless doctrinal debates and sin ruling over us, and become the bride of Christ resplendent in holiness, without spot or wrinkle. Are we ready? He is.

Gideon

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  514
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,196
  • Content Per Day:  1.43

@Roy B., blessings and may these words bless....

As a Christian that struggled with sin for many, many years...It wasn’t till I came to the place in my walk with God that I was willing to literally and actually die, than keep on sinning, that God opened up the truth  to me about what it means to be dead to sin...

After that opening, my walk with Him has never been the same...Sin still is alive as always, but I have died to it... I have died, which frees me from the power of sin...

As death frees one from the power of all things in this world, our death in Christ frees us from the power of sin in our lives...

So now my walk with God is just a simple reckoning myself dead to sin and alive unto God moment by moment as I go through my day.. 

I die to myself a little bit more each and every day and the joy, glory and the fellowship with God, just continues to grow and grow..

Not that I have obtained, but I strive after the high calling of God in Christ Jesus...

Walking in newness of life is for all believers that are willing to actually and in real time die, rather than sin..  

In this seeing is freedom from all that one would be freed from...

Take these words before God and ask about the truth or falsehood of them..

To Him be the glory of all things.,.

A fellow believer, Not me 

Edited by Not me
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,825
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

15 hours ago, Roy B. said:

This is what the devil wants you to believe - that "other Christians I know never seem to have a problem".

What a lie from the Father of Lies.  I used to believe that and that's why I wouldn't talk to others about it nor take it to God.  I felt I was the only one suffering and that God was SICK of me.

Here's the deal.  Two things.

• Remember, as a Christian that you have been not only crucified with Christ, but also resurrected with Christ.  Read all of Romans 6.  You don't HAVE to sin.  I know that the temptations of personal sins PLAGUE us.  TORMENT us.  But in Christ Jesus, we can flee from them. 
  • 2 Timothy 2:22 = You will never forget it with all those 2's.  
  1. Flee from sin.  [RUN from it!!]  But that's not enough.
  2. Run TO CHRIST.  [Go to a notebook where you keep memory verses that help you].  Pray.  Read the Bible.  Call a friend.
  3. Associate with other Christians who can help, have been through the same things, and can be one that can lead you through this.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,380
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

Hi Roy,

I think I am one of those who tend not to “share their struggles with fighting sin”. For me, it is because early in my Christian walk, I learned that when I sin, the best course of action is to go straight to God and receive His grace (Hebrews 4:16). Since my sin is against God, and since He is “faithful and just to forgive my sins” (1 John 1:9) because of the sacrifice of Christ, I don't consider myself to have the right to dwell on my sins.

If I am asked, I am happy to share my experiences and (hopefully) wisdom. But otherwise, I don't think (and therefore don't talk) about it. Without the help of the Holy Spirit, I can do nothing to overcome my sin. In Christ, by His grace, I am “the righteousness of God” (2 Corinthians 5:21), “more than a conqueror” (Romans 8:37), a “slave to righteousness” (Romans 6:16-20), “free indeed” (John 8:36). So I try not to waste God's time focussing on my weaknesses (or my past), and instead make the truth of His Word my focus and confession (see also Philippians 4:8-9). Since I take my sin to God – and that works for me, I generally don't even think to bring the topic up in conversation unless prompted.

I do understand that this may give the impression that I don't have struggles (which is certainly not the case). Perhaps I need to be more mindful of that impression, and make a concerted effort to share my struggles. I'll pray about it. I would point out that it is also possible that God would like you to learn to take your struggles to Him – and exchange your “struggles” for His grace, peace and rest.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.75
  • Days Won:  21

22 hours ago, Roy B. said:

If a Christian is saying they never have a battle or a problem, or that they're perfected, then they obviously struggle with the sin of lying. :) 

We're being progressively made into His image and as long as we dwell here in the sin-sick world we will still find ourselves failing at times. I will say, as we walk with the Lord and allow Him to change us, we'll find the periods of our stumbling to be less and less. I've been saved nearly 15 years now and He is most definitely still working on me. 

I find comfort in reading the Words of Paul who chronicled, in my opinion, his own battle with sin and finding freedom from living in bondage to his sinful nature.

24 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! (Romans 7:24-25)

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. (Romans 8:1-2)

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  212
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

22 hours ago, Roy B. said:

Many years ago I heard a pastor tell of a story about a young man who had gotten saved and was doing his best to live for the Lord. He came one day to this pastor and asked him this question: “Pastor, I’ve been saved for six months now and it seems that the devil is fighting me and tempting me almost daily. When is it going to end?” The pastor told us “I didn’t have the heart to tell him.” The enemy is out to steal, kill, and destroy, and he is always on the job. There can be a number of reasons why people do not share their struggles with temptation and sin. They may be ashamed to talk about it. They may not know if they can trust the person they tell to keep it confidential. The list can go on. But we can do something to resist the temptation to sin. Paul taught the Galatians that the key to overcoming the lust of the flesh was to walk in the Spirit. And the lust of the flesh is what will ultimately lead to sin.

Galatians 5:16 (NKJV)
16  I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

King David hid the word of God in his heart, that he might not sin against Him.

Have a great evening

Gary

• Thumbs Up 1