IGNORED

Was the Great Commission fulfilled in the First Century?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,002
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

Matthew 28:19-20

Go ye into all the world and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father Son and Spirit, teaching them to observe whatsoever I have commanded you.

John 15:7-8

If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, you shall ask what you will and it shall be done for you.

Herein is my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit; so shall you be my disciples.

The seed is the word of God. Luke 8:11

Fruit are therefore people that hear the word and grow to produce more seed.

And there are plenty of people that have not heard; Christ is whom to hear. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.72
  • Days Won:  1

There are many in my country who have never hear if Jesus, or have heard the name but do not know the background. There has been no scripture education or teaching or worship permitted in school. Very little Bible knowledge for many. And what little is known is often incorrect. I am in a European country.

My mission field is my direct neighbors. No need to travel further.

Often incorrect Bible teaching is even in mainstream churches, so Bible truth needs to be shared where we are.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.54
  • Days Won:  12

On 9/22/2020 at 11:24 AM, Unit 11 said:

There's something that bothers me about this whole idea. I once attended a Bible study group with a particularly zealous church guy. One night I let slip that I didn't believe we're all called to be evangelists (one reason being, I've never had any knack whatsoever for it myself, and feel pained and ashamed of the times I tried to force myself to do it, no doubt bringing embarrassment on my Creator). 

To put it simply, he freaked. And kept freaking. For weeks, months afterwards he kept after me about it. Once, out of the blue, he rebuked me in front of the whole group--I needed to get out there and do my part witnessing! No excuses, no ifs, ands or buts. 

Only long afterwards did it occur to me: Does the GC mean we stay home and "witness" to people here, or leave our homeland as missionaries? William Carey, who I believe coined the GC term, thought the latter. We're not to stay home, living our nice comfortable lives where almost everyone has surely heard the message at least once. We're to relocate to distant lands where no one has heard it. Imagine a place where you mention Jesus Christ, and people go "Who?"

So the GC means we're not only called to evangelize, but every one of us is meant to be a missionary. 

I've heard it argued that the "Go" actually means "as you are going," not so much traveling somewhere else. OK, but making disciples of all nations, sounds pretty clear. 

So in hindsight, though it's neither here nor there now, I'd like to ask that guy from the Bible study: Fine. Just when were you planning on going? 

You are right about not everyone being an evangelist.  For example, is a pastor an evangelist? No; and if he tries to be one, then his pastoral duties will suffer (this does not mean that he should not evangelise).  There are many vocations, in the body of Christ, and "evangelist" is only one of them.

Having said that, we are all witnesses for the Lord, in thought, word and deed, wherever the Lord has put us.  We should use whatever opportunities the Lord gives us, to share the gospel; but this is not the same thing as being an evangelist.

An evangelist, eats, breathes and lives evangelism.  It is who he is.  It is like a burning fire and he cannot hold it in.  This is a gift from God and cannot be worked up.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, David1701 said:

You are right about not everyone being an evangelist.  For example, is a pastor an evangelist? No; and if he tries to be one, then his pastoral duties will suffer (this does not mean that he should not evangelise).  There are many vocations, in the body of Christ, and "evangelist" is only one of them.

Having said that, we are all witnesses for the Lord, in thought, word and deed, wherever the Lord has put us.  We should use whatever opportunities the Lord gives us, to share the gospel; but this is not the same thing as being an evangelist.

An evangelist, eats, breathes and lives evangelism.  It is who he is.  It is like a burning fire and he cannot hold it in.  This is a gift from God and cannot be worked up.

The Navy Chaplain who led me to the Lord in 1984, was an evangelist to the core--but never a fanatic, never pressured anyone or imposed guilt. He gave me some advice that I still remember. As far as "witnessing" goes, we should be so in tune with the Holy Spirit that we can sense when God is prompting us to say something about him to someone. That's part of being dead to self and alive to Christ.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.54
  • Days Won:  12

23 minutes ago, Unit 11 said:

The Navy Chaplain who led me to the Lord in 1984, was an evangelist to the core--but never a fanatic, never pressured anyone or imposed guilt. He gave me some advice that I still remember. As far as "witnessing" goes, we should be so in tune with the Holy Spirit that we can sense when God is prompting us to say something about him to someone. That's part of being dead to self and alive to Christ.

Yes, being in tune with the Holy Spirit is very important.  I have, in the past, witnessed to people, thinking that it's what I should do, rather than being led by the Holy Spirit, and it was dead as a door-nail (very awkward too).  Thankfully, since then, I've experienced how it should be (in fellowship with the Lord, being led by him) and it's the difference between night and day!

• Thumbs Up 1