• Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

ATTENTION POSTERS

There is too much emotion, accusation, etc. going on in this thread. Act like rational adults, respect and love each other, in other words, act like Christians are supposed to act, whether or not you are one.

I have already remove on person from this thread (for now at least) and have hidden a few posts that are not as they should be.

If this thread is going to be a problem, we (or I) might just close it down. We expect people to be on their best behavior here!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven

On 11/18/2020 at 10:51 PM, Momma_Bear said:

Since the above warning was issued after my comment was made... I decided to remove all my posts. There is no need for me to have participated in this discussion... and I apologize if I have offended anyone.... Sadly... I am unable to change my writing style... nor do I wish to. Be blessed everyone.

Nor were you asked to.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven

On 11/18/2020 at 8:42 AM, GandalfTheWise said:

As a disclaimer, my US political leanings are best described as Libertarian.  

I would consider the Libertarian Party, if two things were different. One, they would have to have more of a following, so that they would be as viable as their ideas are practical, but I am not a fan of their general thought that there is no such thing as actual morality, I understand why they take that stance, but as a Christian, is it too large an error to support.

I do like the idea, of miniomal government, and practical economics!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

I would consider the Libertarian Party, if two things were different. One, they would have to have more of a following, so that they would be as viable as their ideas are practical, but I am not a fan of their general thought that there is no such thing as actual morality, I understand why they take that stance, but as a Christian, is it too large an error to support.

I do like the idea, of miniomal government, and practical economics!

:)  That's why I call it "leaning".  Those are the two things that I am least comfortable with as well.  I've spent some time attending a few meetings of the local group and am connected via social media (mainly to get to know more about them).   One observation is that there appear to be two "factions" for lack of a better word.  The "pragmatists" (the majority) who see a role for limited gov't as a protector of individual liberties and freedoms and the "anarchists" (a vocal minority) who theoretically see no role for gov't believing that voluntary associations can completely fulfill that role.  The second observation is that the membership I saw was a combination of devout Christians and devout agnostics and atheists.   Libertarian writers and proponents tend to fit into these different categories so any particular thing you read or hear often reflects those differences.  There are those who see no absolute morality and there are those who hold to absolute morality but don't trust any gov't to have the power to enforce morality.  Though motives differ, the net approach to what gov't should and shouldn't be able to do is similar.

I've also been looking at the American Solidarity Party which was largely Catholic to begin with but is starting to expand.  Definitely a fringe party compared to the Libertarians (who were on the ballot on all 50 states).  I've been connected with their social media groups (mainly to learn more about them).  They are a relatively new party that is feeling its way out and still developing a more detailed platform.  

The bottom line for me is voting Libertarian or any other third party is ultimately the only "None of the Above" vote available to most people that does anything tangible since it gives 3rd parties potentially more ballot access in the future.  It provides more incentive to the two dominant parties to be responsive to voters than not voting or always giving them a vote as a less of two evils compared to the other.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

On 11/18/2020 at 10:02 AM, OneLight said:

I don't take any side in this argument, but will offer a verse that may help you have faith that God is still in control.  Romans 13:1

Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.

We may not understand one iota what God is up to, but that does not mean we cannot trust Him to see it through to the end.  No matter how hard you search, you will not find one person who is following God and willing to take the helm of any nation.  Ask yourself, did Jesus get involved in the political arena of His time?  That should be your guiding post.

That is the perfect scripture OneLight. 

If I may add, my friend and I grew up studying the bible and we took in reading many biblical commentary books. I went the conservative way and he is conservative but votes democrat. After everything we have talked about he will vote democrat and I don't understand it. One day I finally understood as we were talking. He believes he is fighting evil or doesn't want to side with "evil"- no different than what momma-bear thinks. 

For sure this election tested the American Christian. Holiday Christians will toss back and forth or be easily swayed. But those that have studied well, i believe, it's not a huge deal. Or if it really bothers one then just don't vote.

Edited by exrockstar