IGNORED

What was the covering on the ark that Noah removed before they left the ark?

canuckamuck

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  287
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/07/1967

• Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  1

Coverings of boards and skins may be likely, but, just out of interest, why do you ask?

I'm not sure why, but I did a quick online search and found this, but don't know how useful or reliable it is:

"...the Bible says “the waters were dried up from off the earth: and Noah removed the covering of the ark” (Genesis 8:13). The word “covering” is the Hebrew mikceh, which every other time it’s used refers to a covering of skin. Did Noah remove the wooden planks—the “skin” of the Ark—and build off-loading ramps?"

Edited by Speks

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,200
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

12 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Gen 6:14-15
 Make for yourself an ark of gopher wood; you shall make the ark with rooms, and shall cover it inside and out with pitch. 

It was covered with pitch to complete the waterproofing and the whole ship more stable.  That was the covering he removed.                                                                                                                                                 

9 hours ago, Speks said:

Coverings of boards and skins may be likely, but, just out of interest, why do you ask?

Oddly for some reason I have had several people ask me that lately...    I'd guess there's been something on the net about it.  

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  243
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,989
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

13 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

From Albert Barnes' Notes On The Bible. 

Gen_6:14-16
The ark. - Reckoning the cubit at 1.8 feet, we find the length to be about 540, the breadth 90, and the height 54 feet. The construction of such a vessel implies great skill in carpentry. The lighting apparatus is not described so particularly that we can form any conception of it. It was probably in the roof. The roof may have been flat. “And to a cubit shalt thou finish it above.” The cubit is possibly the height of the parapet round the lighting and ventilating aperture. The opening occupied, it may be, a considerable portion of the roof, and was covered during the rain with an awning מכסה  mı̂ksēh, Gen_8:13. If, however, it was in the sides of the ark, the cubit was merely its height. It was then finished with a strong railing, which went round the whole ark, and over which the covering, above mentioned, hung down on every side. The door was in the side, and the stories were three. In each were of course many “nests” or chambers, for animals and stores. It may be curious to a mechanical mind to frame the details of this structure from the general hints here given; but it could not serve any practical end. Only the animals necessary to man, or unusual to the region covered by the deluge, required to be included in the ark. It seems likely that wild animals in general were not included. It is obvious, therefore, that we cannot calculate the number of animals preserved in the ark, or compare the space they would require with its recorded dimensions. We may rest assured that there was accommodation for all that needed to be there.

12 hours ago, other one said:

Gen 6:14-15
 Make for yourself an ark of gopher wood; you shall make the ark with rooms, and shall cover it inside and out with pitch. 

It was covered with pitch to complete the waterproofing and the whole ship more stable.  That was the covering he removed.                                                                                                                                                 

Why would he remove the pitch? Seems an unnecessary step.

22 hours ago, Speks said:

I'm not sure why, but I did a quick online search and found this, but don't know how useful or reliable it is:

"...the Bible says “the waters were dried up from off the earth: and Noah removed the covering of the ark” (Genesis 8:13). The word “covering” is the Hebrew mikceh, which every other time it’s used refers to a covering of skin. Did Noah remove the wooden planks—the “skin” of the Ark—and build off-loading ramps?"

Thanks, this is what I was thinking. I am trying to write a more fleshed out version of the flood. The covering had me confused, It was important enough to make it into the Bible, But it wasn't explained what it was.

A covering for the air and light holes makes sense to me. Not sure why Noah needed to remove it, unless he needed it to make some tents.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Content Count:  7,859
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

On 11/7/2020 at 4:30 AM, canuckamuck said:

He remove or he made an opening for the birds to fly out...so they are not trapped in or crushed at attempting to go out all at the same time...

So the animals can see that the weather is good and build up a desire to go outside.  

Just now, Your closest friendnt said:

He remove or he made an opening for the birds to fly out...so they are not trapped in or crushed at attempting to go out all at the same time...

So the animals can see that the weather is good and build up a desire to go outside.  

That's a good thought, thank you.

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Why would he remove the pitch? Seems an unnecessary step.

now we would be speculating.   Unless the door was below the water line of the ark, they would need ramps to walk down and that would be probably from the skin of the ship and the door.  English translation doesn't say he removed it all and I'm not that up on Hebrew to see if there is any other context to it....   I'm not even sure you can get pitch off of wood....    but it's the only covering we are told was there that a human might take off.  I would think if God did something in the paranormal realm it would be He that took it off and not Noah...    but that's all speculation.

• Thumbs Up 1