• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Chicken coop2 said:

How did these people ever manage to survive before Facebook existed?

Great observation. Your question should be... How did we ever manage to get roped into social media as a "necessity" to thrive in our American society?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

6 minutes ago, DSmith_TheHistorian said:

Great observation. Your question should be... How did we ever manage to get roped into social media as a "necessity" to thrive in our American society?

Most of my family is out of state. I use FB to stay in touch with them. I do have some family near by and I have used FB to ask them out to lunch or to go shopping. I use it to post prayer request on our church FB page, and to get updates of what is going on in the church. Also update as to school updates and local city info like what streets are closing for repairs or events going on.  Anyway that is what I do. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

2 hours ago, Chicken coop2 said:

Unless you count this website, I have never participated in any kind of social media. 

Consider yourself Neo from the Matrix. ;) I was unaware of this forum being blamed for censoring, I was just speaking on behalf of my own personal Facebook issues. Some of us have to rely on it to get our messages out there. Just another wake up call to America to stop sleeping and realize that we are running out of options.

You know... Feudal Europe was the same way. Institutions and those elites (and power hungry) telling the people what they can and cannot opinionate... 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  287
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  01/07/1967

3 hours ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

The "RIGHT" to free speech is express above. Notice what it says:

"CONGRESS shall pass no law". So if congress passes a that says you are not allowed to express your opinion, then you are on the right page. Notice that it does not say that you have a right to say whatever you want, wherever you want, when ever you want. It is not about you getting to do anything, it is about the federal government not stopping you, but it poses no such limitations on non federal entities.

For examples, in my state, it is against the law to swear (as in cussing) in the presence of a woman or a child. You cannot yell "fire in a crowded theater. You are not allowed to make threats of violence, nor slander people. Try telling passenger on an airliner, that you have a bomb, and see how far your free speech gets you. You so not have a right to conspire to commit a crime. There are hundreds or thousands of examples we could come up with.

You do not have any right to say what you want here on Worthy forums, this is a private site, you have no right to be here, you are a guest and that privilege can be revoked. If there was any right, you surrendered it when you agreed to our Terms of Service when you signed up. For example, you are not free here, to blaspheme God!

In short, the constitution on this point is not about giving you carte blanche speech, it is about limiting what congress is allowed to do. Restating that, the 1st amendment is not so much about freedom, as it is about restricting, it restricts congress.

Personally, regarding things like FaceBook, I am not found of some of there selective policies, and some of the things YouTube has done to favor some content while virtually punishing others, but I am in favor of them being able to do as they choose with their content there, though I wished they were more honest and up front about it. I think this is a place, were the free market has a role. If people so not like how these organizations are selective and discriminating, then there is an opening in the market, for another company (or more) to fill the vacuum and create platforms that are friendlier to ideas the the others are not. One example, is https://parler.com/ 

If there is a fire in theater and you don't yell fire you would also be breaking the law. The things you mentioned are illegal activities, cussing (community decency laws) Yelling fire (inciting panic). Talking about bombs in airports or planes (Against Federal transport laws).

But the point of the OP is not instances where there are laws being broken, rather when people are silenced when they support the wrong ideology. People are being silenced on social media for wrong think. That is the issue. I am not disputing that owners of social media may set the rules on what is allowed. But they have not said that making strong points for the Republicans is banned, yet we see accounts being removed for exactly that. They have not turned specifically against Christians, but the time to fight for clarity is now.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

But the point of this post is not instances where there are laws being broken, rather when people are silenced when they support the wrong ideology.

Well go find a site that supports your ideology and post there. I mean if I was on a forum that was always deleting by post, I would go elsewhere. So there you go. :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, LadyKay said:

Maybe you should take this up with them. Different fourm sites have rules and terms of services to follow. Even this one.  But this is not a violation of free speech. You don't really have free speech when it comes to posting on a site that is run by someone else. You are force to follow the term of service rules of the site. Just like we have here at Worthy. 

I have done so, it is an exercise in futility.

Just now, LadyKay said:

Well go find a site that supports your ideology and post there. I mean if I was on a forum that was always deleting by post, I would go elsewhere. So there you go. :rolleyes:

Sure that will be the end result, all of us in our places, but I enjoy talking to people with different beliefs. I am very good at it and I have had more than a decade of enjoying what I considered a ministry. As I said in the original post, I just wanted to have a moan about something I was frustrated with.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

12 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

But the point of the OP is not instances where there are laws being broken, rather when people are silenced when they support the wrong ideology. People are being silenced on social media for wrong think. That is the issue.

Yeah, and I share his concerns. I was merely addressing the fact that free speech is not some all encompassing legal right, and pointing out that no one is forced to participate it FaceBook et al, and that there are alternatives. If one does not like facebook, they are free to avoid it. FaceBook makes a lot of money by monitoring it's users conversations and habits, and then targets advertising based on the information. It is a brilliant business model, but it has has various kinds of costs to it's users. We may either support them financially by using it, we can go elsewhere, or we can try to get them to reform it. In the end, it IS a business, not a charity, and as a business it will likely take the path of greatest profit.

2 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

As I said in the original post, I just wanted to have a moan about something I was frustrated with.

Well I understand. But me being me I like to try to fix things for people. That is how I am. So if you just want to talk about this well then I will shut up and not giving advice.  It's all good. :rolleyes:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Trump News Network

USA Cable News

America News Channel

An every FCC licensed News outlet which is a front from a propaganda mill (left / right / Dem / Rep / etc.) gets their FCC licenses revoked. Put out of business. Fired!