IGNORED

Sermons- What's your favorite delivery and why?

Starise

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,126
  • Content Per Day:  9.67
  • Days Won:  149

I tend to favor a sermon that seems as if it is speaking directly to me. I am seeking God's word presented to me through a man. Some pastors are better at this than others are. Our church service now is a combination of liturgical and free form . The pastor presents his ideas in a much different way than he would speak to you if it were only you there. I paused to wonder how Jesus would have presented His word.

There's the professional "oratory" presentation and then there's the one on one presentation. Even though I think Joel ****** is a false prophet, when I have listened to his messages they seem to be addressing people in a more personal way. He seems to be picking people out and saying something to them, even though there might be 5000 people there. The fact that he has so many attend says something I think for his delivery techniques.

Some pastors seem to be talking right at me. Others are "orateering" in a way that would never fit a one-on-one delivery. I hate to use the word pontificating. It's as if they feel the need to flower the delivery for a large crowd. Imagine for a minute you're standing there with this pastor and it's just you and him. Now imagine he's talking to you the same way he delivers his sermons. Does that work for you? Voice pitches raise and lower almost timed to a theatrical outcome.

Obviously a personal delivery is for you only, but why is the alternate delivery so much different? I have seen pastors put on shows. 300 pound men running around sweating like pigs and screaming at the tops of their lungs. I mentioned before one pastor was also a circus acrobat. He could jump up on pews and run back and forth on the tops while preaching. The reason I left that church. Does God use theatrics? I dunno. Did nothing for me. Not a fan of the Baptist romper room game. Just tell me God's word.

I like expository preaching because it holds to the points made very well. I am partial to it but not saying this is the only thing I accept.

In a few churches I loved the men but they had no business preaching. Think the opposite end of the spectrum from the romper rooms. These men were more teachers than they were preachers. Great studied minds, kind people. Terrible preachers.

In some preachers you can tell they genuinely care about the congregation, they know exactly how to connect with them. Now that's a good preacher, but they seem to be few and far in between.

Edited by Starise
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

I tend to prefer the more personal style, I think.
One thing my church does that I like, is we have sheets with fill-in-the-blank options. During the sermon, we get to fill in the blanks. For me, at least, that makes it easier to focus. Otherwise my attention wanders a lot and then I can't tell you what the sermon was about. I also have to use fidget toys to stay still, otherwise I just wiggle around a lot and pick at my hair and nails to a problematic degree. That might be a little off topic, though.....

I've been in sermons where something the pastor said, I just knew God intended for me. One time, at a youth Bible study (I was still under 20 at the time), the speaker pointed at a few people in the crowd and said "God forgives you". I was one of the people he pointed at, and while it definitely wasn't intentional on the speaker's part.....it was exactly what I needed to hear at the time, and I just got this sense from the Holy Spirit that it was meant for me.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,257
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

I prefer a teacher/exhorter who expounds on a chapter of Scripture.  It is better if they relate it both to its setting in ancient times (expository) and to how it applies to modern times.  But for any teaching to be effective it must be empowered by the Holy Spirit.  He needs to both direct the words of the Pastor and to open the ears of the listener.  Some people are very knowledgeable and are teachers in the flesh but not empowered by the Holy Spirit.  A former pastor was like that.  He taught in a seminary but it fell flat in church.  Yet he was a great exhorter and kept us on the edge of our seats, sometimes laughing at our own foibles.   Now my pastor is an excellent teacher in the Spirit.   He explains the history, relating it to other Old Testament and New Testament passages as well.  Yet he gives a lot of illustrations from his own life how the Word applies to present situations, which is the style of an exhorter.  We may spend several weeks on the same passage as he uses different approaches.  However, until we have applied the word to our own lives it is not truly "ours".  We meditate on it and it becomes part of our very being, hidden in our hearts.  

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,126
  • Content Per Day:  9.67
  • Days Won:  149

1 hour ago, Willa said:

But for any teaching to be effective it must be empowered by the Holy Spirit.  He needs to both direct the words of the Pastor and to open the ears of the listener.

I had never looked at it in quite this way before. It isn't only the preaching but the listener who needs to be prepared. 

Maybe prayer before the service helps. Some churches have prayer for the service right before the service by church leadership. I'm glad to hear you found a church you really like. I like the real life and historical applications as well. Many sermons are also teaching and not just fluff to make us feel better. If it's all book facts my eyes tend to glaze over. For me, it needs to apply. There have been churches I was in where I'm totally lost and can't seem to makes sense of the main theme because the pastor rambles too much. In yet another case the pastor talked about himself 90% of the time. Everything related to him in some way. Then there are the ones that don't know they should have wrapped it up 15 minutes earlier. Point was made a long time ago. I believe there's a point where you can loose people.

I know they are men. I don't expect perfection. For me as an intense people reader, I'm looking at his heart. Does he care? Is he a shepherd of God's flock? I can tell from 10 miles out one way or the other.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Willa said:

I prefer a teacher/exhorter who expounds on a chapter of Scripture.  It is better if they relate it both to its setting in ancient times (expository) and to how it applies to modern times.  But for any teaching to be effective it must be empowered by the Holy Spirit.  He needs to both direct the words of the Pastor and to open the ears of the listener.  Some people are very knowledgeable and are teachers in the flesh but not empowered by the Holy Spirit.  A former pastor was like that.  He taught in a seminary but it fell flat in church.  Yet he was a great exhorter and kept us on the edge of our seats, sometimes laughing at our own foibles.   Now my pastor is an excellent teacher in the Spirit.   He explains the history, relating it to other Old Testament and New Testament passages as well.  Yet he gives a lot of illustrations from his own life how the Word applies to present situations, which is the style of an exhorter.  We may spend several weeks on the same passage as he uses different approaches.  However, until we have applied the word to our own lives it is not truly "ours".  We meditate on it and it becomes part of our very being, hidden in our hearts.  

I actually meant to say something about this in my previous post! Yeah, I like it when they do that.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,514
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

My thoughts:

I've also wondered how Jesus and the apostles delivered the Gospel message? I have noticed one thing though; many of the messages and preaching occurred on the water, or a cliff, hill or mountain for a background. Most likely for the acoustics and sound travels better and farther with those mediums. In the book of Acts, Paul's delivery seems to be that of "reasoning" and negotiation, from an intellectual to his audience in layman's terms, using hand gestures, logic, scripture and eyewitness accounts. 

Listening to old time recordings of famous evangelicals, we get a flavor of how preaching from the pew was done. In my lifetime I've seen so many changes in the content of the message and the delivery by Pastors; perhaps it's cultural change? In my youth, I recall many Hell fire and brimstone sermons with passion; from our Pastor(s), Billy Graham, etc. Today not so much.

During the 'dark ages', the message was delivered in Latin to the 'mass', which few understood. The priest would interpret it as he saw fit and what they wanted the 'mass' to believe.

What really concerns me in our time, is the prosperity Gospel's, purpose driven Gospel's and false Gospel's being preached from the pulpit today, from mega churches and millionaire wolves in sheep's clothing. No need to name them all, as we should be aware of them all. 

One thing I think I can say pertaining to those that are listening and believing these false teachers. Their congregation is NOT:

Acts 17:11 (KJV) These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. [emphasis added]

As far as my personal taste and preference; the louder the voice and more hand banging on the pulpit; the less I seem to dose off at my old age  :D

Edited by Dennis1209
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,885
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

Through out the years I had different needs, so I was in a different situation in different times...

Later I found that was important to engage in the worship and singing if songs about Jesus and how much he helps us and love us as we are...not waiting to be good enough for his love.  

I enjoy seeing the youth praising Jesus Christ, and think that Jesus Christ must have a very special spot in his heart for them...they could be in some other place but they left everything to be in church and sing praises to him...

That helps me go to the church and keep my mouth shut...it's their place they have their ways.  

Out of the church in my private conversations is different but they have spies who report to the pastor, and need to be careful. 

Pick the right time and the appreciate their sensitivity not to step on their doctrine in full force.  That it will cause them to defend...in love...hope I can tune my self with this "in love". 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,514
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Willa said:

Excellent post Willa,

Just to dovetail a bit on your comments and how things have changed. Being a Pastor [or a missionary] is a calling from God. When God calls, He equips His anointed with all the tools and everything he or she needs to be an effective preacher, teacher or missionary. We frequently pray that through the Holy Spirit, our Pastor delivers the message He would have us to hear; and we would understand it and apply it to our minds and hearts.  

I think of Moses telling the Lord; I can't do this or that because of... The Lord wouldn't of asked Moses to do anything without equipping him for the job. So the Lord assigned Aaron to be Moses mouthpiece as I recall? Moses doubted, could the same apply today??

It appears today that, Satan is eloquently equipping people in ministry with deceitful oratory skills, lying and cunning. Preaching the more you give to the ministry, the more blessed and wealthier you'll become; among many other false Gospel's and doctrines. 

This is just a question of mine? A Pastor or minister that cannot effectively communicate and teach, was it a calling from God? Is the Holy Spirit equipping and working through him or her?? Are their other factors in play?

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,257
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

Hi, Dennis.  I agree with your premise.  God does equip, like He equipped Moses.  Many people don't know how to use the equipment and yield to the Holy Spirit.  Some denomination believe it is impossible for God to motivate a person in this way.  I remember a pastor who argued with God that he was a farmer and thought he could not be a pastor.  It was true--he was called of God.  Yet he couldn't express how wonderful it is to walk with God in a way others could relate.  To him the only way a person could surrender to God was to surrender their finances and tithe.  While it is a big part of our experience, we give ourselves first to God and then to our leadership as God directs.  2 Cor. 8:5. God may tell us to take the Gospel to India instead of just giving Him 10% of our income.  The point is He wants us to be willing to give our all to Him.  He gave His all to us.   The problem is that many people haven't given much to God and really resist giving to Him.  This is especially true because so many pastors are greedy and continually beg for money.  That turns me off as well.   This pastor really loved the Lord and for many years subsisted on less than the wage he was promised.  He just didn't know how to yield to God to effectively speak the message God wanted to convey.  I suspect this is often the case.  In other cases the pastors aren't saved to begin with.  They may have gone to Bible School or seminary in search of God but never repented and turned from their wicked ways.  They became the blind leading the blind. Their pride of education may have prevented them from obeying God.  We all know pastors who aren't very effective as speakers or teachers.  They put us to sleep.  They may be better than others in personal ministry when the flock is hurting or in ministering to the grieving or dying.  Others are better counselors or evangelists.  Some are effective missionaries.  I hesitate to judge.  

• Thumbs Up 3