• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.54
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

On 12/21/2020 at 6:08 PM, Willa said:

This is true.  The New Testament prophets were exhorters who urged, edified, encouraged and strengthened the church.  You don't sleep through their sermons because the Holy Spirit ministers to us.  It is meant for a group of people who hear it in a certain time and place, a local church.  It is not meant for all of posterity as the Old Testament is.  So I disagree that it is for the universal church.  

1Co 14:3 AMP But [on the other hand], the one who prophesies [who interprets the divine will and purpose in inspired preaching and teaching] speaks to men for their upbuilding and constructive spiritual progress and encouragement and consolation.

1Co 14:4  He who speaks in a [strange] tongue edifies and improves himself, but he who prophesies [interpreting the divine will and purpose and teaching with inspiration] edifies and improves the church and promotes growth [in Christian wisdom, piety, holiness, and happiness].

I agree with your assertion regarding a local church. I think along with this understanding, there are things expressed in the NT that only hold real relevance in the context of a 'local expression' of the Body. The Lord and the Holy Spirit instruct, edify and express Christ through the many members as He wills when He is Lord there. Prophecy is more often than not forth telling and does not necessitate a change in voice or volume or a 'thus sayeth the Lord' prior to speaking forth. The LOrd expresses Himself in a very natural manner--no theatrics required.

:-)

This is witnessed the world over by the experience of the saints.

There are many situations, where the Lord is limited in function through the several members due to many things; structure, understanding, maturity, faith and expectations. The Lord can and will minister in various ways through nearly every member...we just need to have ears to hear.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

Why would we need prophets today if we have the completed revelation from God in the Bible?

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.55
  • Days Won:  12

3 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Why would we need prophets today if we have the completed revelation from God in the Bible?

A genuine prophet will speak the message that God has given him, at the right time, to the right people, as the Holy Spirit leads him.  Of course, the Lord can do this directly; but, he wants to involve his people in what he is doing, just as he does with evangelists (he could simply spread the gospel in dreams and visions, if he wanted to; and sometimes he does) and other callings.

Why do we need preachers/teachers, when we have the completed Bible and the Holy Spirit within us?  It is because God has set them, in the assembly, with the ability, motivation and grace to carry out their callings, for the edification of the body of Christ.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers

13 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Two things: an understanding of what a NT prophet constitutes and whether one believes that the Lord is active in His Church via the various members. Does He operate through His members, how and to what extent.

Experience of these things varies greatly. There are reasons for this. In a previous post I attempted to explain in away that would not offend. If I say that the Lord speaks to me in very specific ways, has directed me to go here or there and do such and such and he has done so in a still small voice, dreams and visions that turn out to be irrefutably genuine---and another brother or sister says "that is impossible--God doesn't do that anymore".

And there are some here that would say I am nutz or delusional.

What is the proper response without harm or division?

Personally I have never myself or seen in a local church a telling of the future---except for a very clear dream that was irrefutably genuine and came to pass and it did not involve any individual, but it ended up being an edifying and faith building mercy.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

9 minutes ago, Alive said:

Two things: an understanding of what a NT prophet constitutes and whether one believes that the Lord is active in His Church via the various members. Does He operate through His members, how and to what extent.

Experience of these things varies greatly. There are reasons for this. In a previous post I attempted to explain in away that would not offend. If I say that the Lord speaks to me in very specific ways, has directed me to go here or there and do such and such and he has done so in a still small voice, dreams and visions that turn out to be irrefutably genuine---and another brother or sister says "that is impossible--God doesn't do that anymore".

And there are some here that would say I am nutz or delusional.

What is the proper response without harm or division?

Personally I have never myself or seen in a local church a telling of the future---except for a very clear dream that was irrefutably genuine and came to pass and it did not involve any individual, but it ended up being an edifying and faith building mercy.

I will continue to have faith in the Holy Spirit.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers

Just now, missmuffet said:

Of course--this is the point.

Amen.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

The minute we start taking on labels for ourselves, we are in danger of developing pride and a wrong motivation.

God does not call us because our ability, but because  of availabity. He provides the spirit, He provides anointing. We are merely the vessel and if we start thinking ourselves  "More highly than we ought" we are heading into the wilderness.

When Jesus turned the water into wine, they raved about the wine....did not say much about the vessel.  And that is how it should be with Ministry gifts. Rave about the content, which is God given, blessed and anointed. not the preacher.

Romans 12:3 For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith. 4 For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, 5 so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another. 6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; 7 or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching; 8 he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.

And so to with the ministry gifts

Edited by Riverwalker
typo

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,209
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/10/1947

On 12/31/2020 at 4:15 PM, Michael37 said:

When does the singing start?

Singing?  Can't carry a tune in a bucket.  No singing.  The choir walked off the job because of union problems.

On a more serious note, I use the signature because early in my life I was forbidden to speak from a pulpit in the Episcopal church.  Seems they had a problem with my position that a man must make peace with God and surrender his life to Jesus Christ.  The Second Birth is NOT part of their lexicon for salvation.

I was informed that unless I recanted this ridiculous notion (according to their interpretation of the Bible), I would not be allowed to assume the office of ordination as priest.  The laity of the Episcopal Church is generally unaware of this doctrinal position on the part of their leaders.

It is more important to be a member in good standing with ones donations than to be saved in Jesus' name.  That's their position and not my own.  Thanks for getting my blood pressure up on that one.

that's me hollering from the choir loft..

Edited by choir loft

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,209
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Birthday:  10/10/1947

On 1/1/2021 at 2:06 PM, missmuffet said:

St. Paul says we ought to question the spirit.  

It goes without saying that we ought also question both the message and the motivations of those who claim to be speaking on behalf of the spirit.  

It's been my experience that a LOT of bare faced lying is going on out there....lies perpetrated by people who claim to have a unique ability to discern the will of God when they haven't even read His book from cover to cover.

And when the lies are exposed for the deception they really are what happens?   These people simply make up MORE LIES and continue their self-aggrandizing announcements.  Gullible Christians follow them as it nothing at all untoward had happened.  The perception of the gospel has become tinsel thin and ridiculous in the eyes of the world because of this sort of thing.

Having faith in the Holy Spirit is a very simplistic approach to spirituality especially since we are commanded to examine the spirit as well as what we are bing told.   We are not to be simply simple about it at all.  Unfortunately such questioning requires work and most people are unwilling to expend the effort.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Edited by choir loft

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,217
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

Hi I just wanted to kindly disagree with "Nobody wants to endure the pain and discomfort to actually become one." Some could use those same words about being a follower of Christ lol. 

Duh Christ was right in the last days many false prophets will come. We forget a false prophet does not mean they were wrong all the time. False is because when they say "Thus says the lord" He never told them. They were right many times. Prophets OT YOU BETTER listen to them. Today there are prophets and there are gifts that must be working in that office. But today as I read and understand they can not tell you what todo do anymore. The prophet with Paul never told him what todo only what would happen to the man that wore that belt. Some still say God will only tell His prophets first what He is doing in the earth. 

In that I know what some believe yet I truly don't know. My wondering is again in the OT the two prophets talking the one said to the other "when did the spirit leave me to you?" haha love that. So today NT that same spirit in them is also in me and I am one in Christ and He tells us the deep things of God and what is to come.  And when they get it wrong? Ooh I leave it with my Father.. they don't answer to me.. they will answer to Him. Why I don't touch it.