IGNORED

Why are some drawn to fiction stories and others repelled by them?

GandalfTheWise

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

To my knowledge, everyone likes fictions stories. Most have preferences on how they enjoy ingest them. Some prefer books, some prefer comics, some prefer movies, some prefer plays, and some prefer alternatives to these, but everyone enjoys fiction stories of some type.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54

4 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

This question arose in my mind in another thread.   Why is it that some people like fiction stories, (be it books, comics, graphic novels, video-game story lines, oral story-telling, TV shows, movies, or whatever media)?  Why do some people not care about them or to actively dislike them?   I'm not talking about preferring particular genres, but rather liking, not caring, or actively disliking fiction stories in general.  I'm not talking about what details cause someone to dislike particular stories (such as profanity, graphic descriptions, non-Christian world view, etc.).  But, what is it about fictional stories that they even exist and that some people like them?

I didn't phrase it in a personal way in the title, but what I am curious about is why different people here are drawn to consume fiction while others have no interest and others might be actively repelled by fiction.   What is it that drives your feelings toward fiction stories?   I'm hoping this thread can be one of constructive reflection where we can learn from each other and maybe explore a topic that doesn't get talked about very much.

This is such an excellent question but one I can’t really answer. I loathe fiction but I don’t know why. 

First, I will never understand why people get offended when I say that I don’t read fiction, but they do, so it’s always been kind of a sensitive subject. Even my high school daughter said it didn’t make sense to her since I watch movies that are fiction.

I don’t know what the answer is but I can tell you I am greatly repelled by it. I’m not name dropping when I bring this up(I’m a total nobody and can count on one hand the people who love me) but the Christian author Paul Young did a favor for me, and in exchange he asked me to read his book The Shack. This was over a year ago and I still have not read it. I opened it up to a random page and almost wanted to cry when I saw the dialogue. I’ve heard he is a gifted writer, so I wasn’t repelled by his writing, I just cannot read fiction at all. 

I’m obsessed with real people, real stories, and of course faith-and that’s all I read. 

I remember being judged because I would not read CS Lewis’s “Screw Tape Letters” which is fiction. It was like I was a bad person because I chose not to read something that could  be “immensely helpful to Christians.” The Bible is plenty helpful enough!

Edited by ReneeIW
  • Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

This question arose in my mind in another thread.   Why is it that some people like fiction stories, (be it books, comics, graphic novels, video-game story lines, oral story-telling, TV shows, movies, or whatever media)?  Why do some people not care about them or to actively dislike them?   I'm not talking about preferring particular genres, but rather liking, not caring, or actively disliking fiction stories in general.  I'm not talking about what details cause someone to dislike particular stories (such as profanity, graphic descriptions, non-Christian world view, etc.).  But, what is it about fictional stories that they even exist and that some people like them?

I didn't phrase it in a personal way in the title, but what I am curious about is why different people here are drawn to consume fiction while others have no interest and others might be actively repelled by fiction.   What is it that drives your feelings toward fiction stories?   I'm hoping this thread can be one of constructive reflection where we can learn from each other and maybe explore a topic that doesn't get talked about very much.

I tend to read non-fiction more than fiction.  The fiction I am drawn to is somewhat eclectic.  I am drawn more to authors than particular types of fiction.  I like some science fiction, some mysteries, some noir fiction, historical fiction, etc.  I haven't found any Christian fiction I like.  Non-fiction includes: science especially as related to origins; technology; weapons and reloading data; history; biographies; photographic equipment and methods; computers, hardware, software, programming languages, etc; viruses and vaccines; bible based commentaries, speculation, etc; archaeology; mathematics, game theory and logic; chess; bridge; dogs; et al.

Edited by Saved.One.by.Grace
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  24,713
  • Content Per Day:  5.76
  • Days Won:  161
  • Birthday:  01/30/1985

Since we are going there.

my tastes in fiction is very broad and tends to depend on authors more than genre, although fantasy, classical works, folk legends and detective mysteries. 

Authors/ compilers of stories I like: C.s Lewis, Tolkien, J.K Rowling, Agatha Christy, G.K Chesterton, Michael Ende, Jane Austin, Thomas Hardy, Robert Louis Stevenson, Hans Christian Anderson, Terry Pratchett, Dorthey Sayers and plenty of children's books who's authors I cannot not remember.  I cannot now remember. There are also some Afrikaans/South African authors I really enjoy. Cry the Beloved Country (Alan Paton). 

I love folk stories from different parts of the world. We have a wonderful series of books here that collect stories from specific countries. So there is a French, German, Russian, Chinese and many more. 

There is the escape but there is also the sheer joy of quality writing, and the thrill of adventure. A good story makes you ponder things long after it is told. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

I tend to read non-fiction more than fiction.  The fiction I am drawn to is somewhat eclectic.  I am drawn more to authors than particular types of fiction.  I like some science fiction, some mysteries, some noir fiction, historical fiction, etc.  I haven't found any Christian fiction I like.  Non-fiction includes: science especially as related to origins; technology; weapons and reloading data; history; biographies of heroes and war reminiscences; photographic equipment and methods; computers, hardware, software, programming languages, etc; viruses and vaccines; bible based commentaries, speculation, etc; archaeology; mathematics, game theory and logic; chess; bridge; dogs; et al.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  772
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,943
  • Content Per Day:  3.06
  • Days Won:  1

5 hours ago, missmuffet said:

. I like to read Christian fiction. 

What is that ?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.80

Does the world emanate Christ. Don't get me wrong I watched TV every night. I would sit there all evening clicking to find shows that didn't use offensive words or exploit sex. There are decent fiction shows, but in the over all are we trying to the balance the scale. Have we become luke warm. I read many of the posts and did not see any that lifted up Christ. Are we seeing the world today. Would we be ready if Christ came tomorrow. Jesus once said when He comes back would he find faith on the earth Luke 18:8. Why would we indulge in things that bear no fruit. Every man must make his own choices. One night I started to do what we have been talking about and set my remote down with no  ideal I would not watch it any more.  

Edited by Mike Mclees

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54

28 minutes ago, Mike Mclees said:

Does the world emanate Christ. Don't get me wrong I watched TV every night. I would sit there all evening clicking to find shows that didn't use offensive words or exploit sex. There are decent fiction shows, but in the over all are we trying to the balance the scale. Have we become luke warm. I read many of the posts and did not see any that lifted up Christ. Are we seeing the world today. Would we be ready if Christ came tomorrow. Jesus once said when He comes back would he find faith on the earth Luke 18:8. Why would we indulge in things that bear no fruit. Every man must make his own choices. One night I started to do what we have been talking about and set my remote down with no  ideal I would not watch it any more.  

Are you suggesting that entertainment in and of itself, even if appropriate, is sinful because it does not lift up Christ?

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Content Per Day:  1.39

9 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

What is it that drives your feelings toward fiction stories? 

To theorize I would say that some people dislike them because they have the ability to figure out the plot after only reading a few pages, and that removes the novelty of reading a new book.   For my personally most fiction is not accurate to real life hence why I am very specific about what if any fiction I will read.  Another reason could be that they like the reading style of non-fiction.  Which personally reads very different from the average fiction book.  

For me, I like some fiction but it has to be about a subject that I like and it must be accurate to real life none of that perfection nonsense.  The plot must also be very interesting to read so nothing that I can figure out in just a couple chapters.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Content Per Day:  1.39

1 minute ago, Josheb said:

You mean like guys killing giants, single warriors killing hundreds in a single battle, talking with spirits or animals, being eaten alive by giant fish, having an enemy unwittingly build his own gallows, anticipating ancient prophesies, fighting demons, walking through fire or on water and defeating death? ;)

Kinda like that, but that is fine as long as it is that type of story not like those stories that are supposed to be like now in real life.  IE based in the present reality with normal powers etc.