• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

4 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

I could say the same except it a rhetorical question :)  

I did not make that statement.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,186
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

5 minutes ago, Josheb said:

Not only do I agree with the scripture(s) but I would go even further to point out Jesus stated quite clearly not even the gates of hell would not prevail over the Church and since the Church is those called out by God into His service through the shed blood of the resurrected Son, member of his body and royal priestly temple members of God's holy nation we know Jesus will in fact find faith when he returns. While there are only a few in comparison that enter through the narrow gate in the end that "few" is a multitude. As the psalmist put it, we will praise Him among the multitude, so no one should think Jesus fruitfulness will ever be reduced to zero. 

I don't believe numeric equivalence has any bearing but that of the heart of God not willing any should perish... 

7 minutes ago, Josheb said:

However, I will also say that in speaking about not serving two masters, God and mammon, Jesus is again using a modicum of hyperbole because the reality on this side of the grave is this: we all serve a variety of masters because we are sinfully fleshly and the list of idols is near-endless, beginning with the idol of the self. If an idol is defined as anything that stands in the place of God in our lives then money is not the only idol. Neither is the self. It is likely most of us flow from idol to idol throughout our day with very little awareness we're doing so because our finite minds currently being renewed do not and cannot always fix on God. This is dramatically articulated in the struggling father's plea, "Help my unbelief!" (Mk. 9:24) and Paul's awareness of multiple laws at work in his wretchedness (Rom. 7). So if you had to have your coffee this morning and got upset the toilet seat was left up, or got upset the baby was crying or the dog was begging for attention, and got angry at the fool in front of you who didn't use his turn signals or the guy who zoomed up on you bumper because you're going too slow in the left lane despite the fact you're already driving 20 miles over the speed limit because you've got some place to be as you wonder how you're going to get done everything you have to in one day and hope someone remembers to get you an          X            for Christmas such that by the time you take a break for lunch you forget you're trying to keep the calories down and eat healthy cause you don't like the look of yourself in the mirror and dress to look good in the eyes of others in hopes your significant other will say something kind and edifying when you meet later this evening. before you take some time to watch reruns of the Army Navy game or latest baking competition........ and on and on and on..... then those are all potential idols. 

Yes this is not our home and it is war to live here day to day...

7 minutes ago, Josheb said:

It's amazing God bothered to save any of us ;)

:amen: 

7 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

I'm not trying to justify anything. I'm pointing out the Lord told us to have faith.

yes and that is why this discussion... works do not produce faith God's Word does :thumbsup:

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology

4 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

yes and that is why this discussion... works do not produce faith God's Word does :thumbsup:

Jesus was telling us (Luke 18:8) to have faith, even as we wait for the Lord to avenge us. He will avenge us speedily.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.54
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

21 minutes ago, Josheb said:

Not only do I agree with the scripture(s) but I would go even further to point out Jesus stated quite clearly not even the gates of hell would not prevail over the Church and since the Church is those called out by God into His service through the shed blood of the resurrected Son, member of his body and royal priestly temple members of God's holy nation we know Jesus will in fact find faith when he returns. While there are only a few in comparison that enter through the narrow gate in the end that "few" is a multitude. As the psalmist put it, we will praise Him among the multitude, so no one should think Jesus fruitfulness will ever be reduced to zero. 

However, I will also say that in speaking about not serving two masters, God and mammon, Jesus is again using a modicum of hyperbole because the reality on this side of the grave is this: we all serve a variety of masters because we are sinfully fleshly and the list of idols is near-endless, beginning with the idol of the self. If an idol is defined as anything that stands in the place of God in our lives then money is not the only idol. Neither is the self. It is likely most of us flow from idol to idol throughout our day with very little awareness we're doing so because our finite minds currently being renewed do not and cannot always fix on God. This is dramatically articulated in the struggling father's plea, "Help my unbelief!" (Mk. 9:24) and Paul's awareness of multiple laws at work in his wretchedness (Rom. 7). So if you had to have your coffee this morning and got upset the toilet seat was left up, or got upset the baby was crying or the dog was begging for attention, and got angry at the fool in front of you who didn't use his turn signals or the guy who zoomed up on you bumper because you're going too slow in the left lane despite the fact you're already driving 20 miles over the speed limit because you've got some place to be as you wonder how you're going to get done everything you have to in one day and hope someone remembers to get you an          X            for Christmas such that by the time you take a break for lunch you forget you're trying to keep the calories down and eat healthy cause you don't like the look of yourself in the mirror and dress to look good in the eyes of others in hopes your significant other will say something kind and edifying when you meet later this evening. before you take some time to watch reruns of the Army Navy game or latest baking competition........ and on and on and on..... then those are all potential idols. 

It's amazing God bothered to save any of us ;)
Psalm 8:3-9
"When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, The moon and the stars, which You have ordained;  What is man that You take thought of him, And the son of man that You care for him?  Yet You have made him a little lower than God, And You crown him with glory and majesty!  You make him to rule over the works of Your hands; You have put all things under his feet,  All sheep and oxen, And also the beasts of the field,  The birds of the heavens and the fish of the sea, Whatever passes through the paths of the seas.  O LORD, our Lord, How majestic is Your name in all the earth! "

Hebrews 2:5-11
"For it was not to angels that God subjected the world to come, of which we are speaking.  It has been testified somewhere, “What is man, that you are mindful of him, or the son of man, that you care for him?  You made him for a little while lower than the angels; you have crowned him with glory and honor,  putting everything in subjection under his feet.” Now in putting everything in subjection to him, he left nothing outside his control. At present, we do not yet see everything in subjection to him.  But we see him who for a little while was made lower than the angels, namely Jesus, crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.  For it was fitting that he, for whom and by whom all things exist, in bringing many sons to glory, should make the founder of their salvation perfect through suffering.  For he who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one source." 

Therefore Jesus' question must be answered in the affirmative because to do otherwise would mean Christ denies himself.

IMO---this is a wonderful post.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

I did not make that statement.

yes it was mine and forgot that it would quote you and not me... sorry for the confussion!

20 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

Jesus was telling us (Luke 18:8) to have faith, even as we wait for the Lord to avenge us. He will avenge us speedily.

vengeance belongs to God no doubt ... 

2 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

yes it was mine and forgot that it would quote you and not me... sorry for the confussion!

That's okay.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, enoob57 said:

vengeance belongs to God no doubt ... 

Yes, we are supposed to let him take care of that. If you kick me in the shin and I kick you back, I think we'd both be disciplined, so I'd be better off not retaliating, anyway.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Josheb said:

Therefore Jesus' question must be answered in the affirmative because to do otherwise would mean Christ denies himself.

could you expound a bit more for my understanding?