furrychristian

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  1

There would be a pile to unpack since there are lots of different reasons people may resort to stealing baby formula (or anything for that matter). That said, I agree that stealing is something that cannot be actively condoned. People in genuuine need should be able to find some benevolent agency to assist in feeding their kids.

It's been a few years since we had little ones but I do remember the expense of the stuff. Fortunately we only used it to augment the usual breast milk.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  462
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

No baby should ever go hungry. For it to happen in first world nations is appalling. If people are stealing formula milk, then that is a symptom of something wrong in society.

I think your response of "let me buy that for you" is a good one - notwithstanding that if you tried it, you might be met by hostility, since people don't react well to being named/found out as a thief.

If you know this is an issue in your neighbourhood, couldn't you try to set up some kind of agency to ensure people can get what they need for their offspring. Some might argue if you can't afford to feed the child then don't have it - yeah, but why should a baby suffer for the deeds of the parents? 

Is formula so expensive because the stores mark it up for too much profit? Does it attract sales/purchase tax? Is it's wholesale price too high?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

12 hours ago, furrychristian said:

So the topic came up over on the Twitter about how expensive baby formula is and how people should just "look the other way" if they see theft of it happening cuz the fact that a baby is getting fed is more important than a stores profit.

I work at a grocery store. I think it's awful how overpriced formula is. And it's even more expensive if it's a special diet formula, such as a hypoallergenic variety. But in my comment I did also say that I can't condone stealing. And now people are jumping all over me, lol.

I just believe stealing is never right, and as my dad always taught me..... It's never right to do wrong to do right. 

If I did see someone stealing formula, I would probably offer to pay for it myself if I happened to have the funds at the time. But that's me. 

...... Thoughts?

People talk about profit as if it's an evil thing. Profit is what puts food on the table and a roof over people's heads so they don't die. That is true of both business owners and their employees.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  540
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,917
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  231
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

Profit is necessary but some items have such a high mark up and they are normally essential items . I have to have gluten free food and the price of that is about 4 times what " normal " food costs so I understand how that feels however as Notallthere has said you do have to be very careful when offering help sad to say . I dont think there is any one answer to this and each occasion is one that has many pros and cons. I have seen families go to get food from a food bank yet the parents stink of cigarette smoke and have bought very expensive fireworks whilst others will go without essentials for themselves to make sure the children get what is needed   :noidea:   Stealing is wrong ... but if my child was starving I cant honestly say that I wouldnt do so . I dont mind going without myself and have done so often enough to  know what hunger is but my children ? that is another thing altogether .

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  204
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

We are in a world full of evil, but we still have plenty of people who, Christian or not, will help cases like this. I don't know about other countries, but in my country the food banks sometimes have to deal with donations larger than their storage capacity. People care.

A store makes profit so their employees and owners can pay their baby's formula.

The owners have many bills to pay. It is not just the products in store, it goes from the electricity to maintain products fresh and costumers warm, to the water from the flushing toilet. If they close doors because they can't maintain the store, what happens? We all saw how people are dependent on toilet paper.

It is of extreme responsibility to put a baby formula on the market. Twenty years ago, or so, in China, people got the death penalty because they made a mistake during the baby formula production and some babies died. The prices must pay their risk, and their extreme care in the industrial process (which is expensive), etc. I just think: How can poor people do their own formula at home? There must be a way.

(I am not including the profit that comes when the cute people decide to do their random act of kindness on Starbucks, by paying the mocha-choca-something to the car behind them, which is then shared in the media for days... This is the kind of thing that annoys me. Not only brings publicity where is not needed, but also spreads this fake shallow notion of helping each other.)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

14 hours ago, furrychristian said:

So the topic came up over on the Twitter about how expensive baby formula is and how people should just "look the other way" if they see theft of it happening cuz the fact that a baby is getting fed is more important than a stores profit.

I work at a grocery store. I think it's awful how overpriced formula is. And it's even more expensive if it's a special diet formula, such as a hypoallergenic variety. But in my comment I did also say that I can't condone stealing. And now people are jumping all over me, lol.

I just believe stealing is never right, and as my dad always taught me..... It's never right to do wrong to do right. 

If I did see someone stealing formula, I would probably offer to pay for it myself if I happened to have the funds at the time. But that's me. 

...... Thoughts?

There are assistance programs like wick (I moonlighted  at Walmart for 6 years).

Rather than encouraging theft perhaps encouraging responsibility to do the leg work to get on the rolls of wick...

But at the same time given drastic circumstances, whatever it takes to provide is IMHO acceptable.

BUT as I said, with wick and other programs in place looting is not yet the answer!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

1 hour ago, Rick_Parker said:

WIC is racist because they require photo ID to apply!

So does entering the DNC convention.

Biggest racists of all Democrats are.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

17 hours ago, furrychristian said:

...... Thoughts?

I noticed that the other day at the grocery store. The really good stuff they claim is very similar to mothers milk. It is like many other things in this world that is over priced.