• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  956
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  1

On 1/22/2021 at 9:50 PM, Paul James said:

The significant factor is your motivation for wanting to pray in the way you decided, and what came out of it in the end.   What were you wanting God to do in response for the time you spent in prayer?

Quite frankly, I wouldn't pray like that.  It would be a waste of time and effort for me.  For me, prayer is fellowship, something to enjoy.  I never use prayer to get anything from God.  Not Biblical.   Philippians 4:6-7 says "Be not anxious for anything, but by prayer and supplcation, with thanksgiving make your requests known to God, and the peace of God that passes all understanding will keep your hearts and mind in Christ."   So, I just ask once and leave the rest to the Lord.  Then the rest of the time, I find somewhere private and just converse with God about whatever comes to mind.  When I was younger I had great pleasure walking along a lonely beach with my hands in my pockets just talking to God.  These days, because I haven't got the energy to walk very far, I do my praying in the dead of night, or driving along in my car.   I don't pray on my knees, because I don't think God cares about the position of my body.  What He appreciates is that I talk to Him from my heart.  Often I spent time asking questions, and then find, as fresh thoughts come to mind, that these fresh thoughts are answers to my questions, and so I realise that God talks back to me.   I realise through this that fellowship with God is a two-way street.

After a time of fellowship with the Lord, I feel a sense of fulfilment, and I look forward to the next time I have an opportunity to have another time of fellowship with Him.  In the meantime, because I know that I have the Holy Spirit in me, I can mention anything to God anywhere and at anytime, and a lot of my prayers are under my breath, because I may be in a room with others.  I don't let people know that I am praying, because fellowship with God is a very private thing for me.

Also, I have learned that God is not impressed with much talking, and because of that I rarely pray with others.  The prayer meetings I have been to have mainly been eyebrow massaging sessions and the prayers have merely been mini sermons to the others in the group.   The only time I have felt that I have been really praying is when I am alone with God, with Him as the only Person to impress, and the only prayers that impress God are the true ones from the heart.

I agree with your take on normal prayer but then you said this?

I don't analyse my prayer language too much.  We can over-analyse the life out of it and then it loses its meaning.  When I am in private and I want to pray in tongues, I just do it, believing tha God understands and appreciates what I am saying.   Praying in tongues is the ultimate in faith because I am praying in a language I have never learned and have no idea what I'm saying.

But there is an inner release in my spirit and a sense of joy that happens, and sometimes the language changes a becomes more intense which gives me the sense that I am saying something very significant to God.  Then I will have a greater freedom of expression when I come back to praying with my understanding.

I never pray in tongues publicly in a meeting.  Paul teaches against it.  Therefore I have determined that if there is any desire to pray publicly in tongues it may very well to please men rather than God, to show others how spiritual my tongues language is.  Therefore, I limit my praying in tongues to when I am alone with God, because He is the only Person listening to it.    Frankly,  do I need to assure others that I am truly baptised with the Spirit and able to speak in tongues?  No.   I don't really care if people think I am a Spirit filled person or not.   I have had people being surprised when they have learned that I am a Christian and an elder of a church!   It is because I don't have to prove anything to anyone, or have their approval.  The Scripture says that I should study to show myself approved of God, and His approval is all I need.

When you prefer to know what you had prayed for to see an answer to prayer privately, why would you even think the Holy Spirit would need a prayer language?  Would not His intercessions be the same as private as in not revealing to you He is making intercessions?

If you check with John 16:13 in all Bible versions, the Holy Spirit cannot utter anything from Himself.  The KJV and a few Bibles has Romans 8:26-27 correctly in that the Holy Spirit cannot even utter His own groanings from Himself.

This is why what you said in the first post in this thread aligns with His words in Matthew 6:5-13 KJV since Jesus told us how to pray and tongues was not mentioned.

Indeed, verse 8 testifies that the Father knows before we even ask and so should that not lead you to discern why the Holy Spirit would take God's gift of tongues for speaking unto the people "around" and speak back to God?  Seems like a very confusing thing to do for why I do not believe tongues are for private use as it cannot be of Him at all.

Just because you are an elder, that does not mean God cannot prune you of something to make you more fruitful.

John 15:1I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. 2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

We are always growing and learning in the Lord.

But if you see nothing wrong with it, I'll drop this part of the discussion with you.  Just seems quite a flip flop there between your two posts.

I would believe the KJV of Romans 8:26-27 where the Holy Spirit makes silent  intercessions for every believer and at any time He wants and the believer will not know about it, thus following Jesus's teaching to us to pray in secret.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.54
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Luke 11:11 (NAS20S) “Now which one of you fathers will his son ask for a fish, and instead of a fish, he will give him a snake?

Yes--there is the issue of trust of a loving Father toward His sons.

45 minutes ago, TheBlade said:

"This is why what you said in the first post in this thread aligns with His words in Matthew 6:5-13 KJV since Jesus told us how to pray and tongues was not mentioned."

Yes Christ had not died yet no holy Spirit since Christ was still here. That prayer was still under the OT. Now go read NT how they prayed. It was to the Father of our lord Jesus Christ.. and also in Jesus name so forth so on. 

But if we want to stick just with the 4 gospels He GOD said through Christ we that believe in Jesus will cast out demons we will speak with new tongues... He said you shall receive power after the sweet holy Spirit "when the holy Spirit comes upon you". See this was said to the 12/120 that were already saved. So you can be saved and not filled with the holy Spirit as its also written have you received the holy Spirit since you believed? Now me? If I hear this.. I don't care what some MAN says.. what any group says.. 

Okay.  Thank you for your response and with scripture; however several points of truth to share here.

Jesus did give a temporary indwelling of the Holy Spirit to His 12 disciples, including Judas Iscariot in Matthew 10th Chapter

Now one could point out that it just said they were given power but if you skip on down to verses 19-20, Jesus said that they were not to take any thought as to how to speak before authorities for the Spirit of the father will speak for them.

So that proves a temporary indwelling of the Holy Spirit.  

Now when you apply the Sermon on the Mount, it was not under the O.T. but the coming N.T. because of Matthew 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

This was Jesus referring to a saved state of the believer in his kingdom for how some will be considered great from the least so everything He said in that Sermon on the Mount, that was for the saved believers, us now.

As for Acts 19:1-7 KJV  Paul came across certain disciples but he did not know what kind since there were 3 kinds of disciples back then; the disciples of the Pharisees, the disciples of John the Baptist's and the disciples of Jesus Christ.

Luke 5:33 And they said unto him, Why do the disciples of John fast often, and make prayers, and likewise the disciples of the Pharisees; but thine eat and drink?

So when they did not know about having received the holy Spirit since they had believed ( Paul assuming they had believed in Jesus Christ ) Paul the n asked what water baptism they were under.  John the Baptist's.  So Paul told them about Jesus Christ as the One John the Baptist was speaking about and then they got water baptized in Jesus's name as obviously they then believed in Him, and were saved.

So those disciples were not originally believers in Jesus Christ but after Paul told them  about Him and hey got water baptized in his name, they got saved then.

Any questions for me to answer or clarify?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  431
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/31/1950

1 hour ago, ChristB4us said:

Jesus did give a temporary indwelling of the Holy Spirit to His 12 disciples, including Judas Iscariot in Matthew 10th Chapter

Now one could point out that it just said they were given power but if you skip on down to verses 19-20, Jesus said that they were not to take any thought as to how to speak before authorities for the Spirit of the father will speak for them.

So that proves a temporary indwelling of the Holy Spirit.  

i see your interpretation, no proof. 

1 minute ago, grahampaul said:

i see your interpretation, no proof. 

No proof of what?  Did you read the scripture or not?

Matthew 10:1 And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease. 2 Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother; 3 Philip, and Bartholomew; Thomas, and Matthew the publican; James the son of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus; 4 Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed him....

19 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. 20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

That His disciples had the temporary indwelling Holy Spirit before Pentecost?

What do you say of John 20:22?

John 20:22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: 23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained. 24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.

His disciples were officially saved when Jesus had ascended to the Father as it was to be the Father that sends the Comforter, the permanent indwelling Holy Ghost, at their salvation for when Jesus was no longer present with them.  Again this promise was to be sent to all believers by faith in Jesus Christ from the Father.

John 14:1Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. 4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. 

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. 26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

So unless you wish to clarify your comment, I'll ask again;  proof of what?

17 minutes ago, ChristB4us said:

No proof of what?  Did you read the scripture or not?

Yes i do read scripture.

20 minutes ago, ChristB4us said:

Matthew 10:1 And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease. 2 Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother; 3 Philip, and Bartholomew; Thomas, and Matthew the publican; James the son of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus; 4 Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed him....

i see no indwelling of the Holy Spirit here, the power given them i see very clearly.

28 minutes ago, ChristB4us said:

John 20:22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: 

Thats worth going into, Christ instructing the desciples how?

15 hours ago, grahampaul said:

Yes i do read scripture.

i see no indwelling of the Holy Spirit here, the power given them i see very clearly.

Thats worth going into, Christ instructing the desciples how?

More than just power when the Spirit of their Father would be speaking in them as thru them, brother.

Matthew 10:9 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. 20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

As for John 20:22, Jesus was instructing His disciples that were there as Thomas was not among them, to forgive others as He has forgiven them for deserting Him also.  That temporary indwelling is what brought about the ability to forgive others in how 120 disciples were there at Pentecost.

John 20:22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: 23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

It was a temporary indwelling again until Pentecost when they had received the promise from the Father when Jesus was no longer with them in receiving the permanent indwelling holy Ghost at their salvation as born again of the Spirit.

7 hours ago, ChristB4us said:

Matthew 10:9 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. 20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

have you considered 2 samuel 23v2 For no such prophecy was ever brought forth by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.".  no indwelling there more the power of God.

these people lived under the law,and were not " indwelled" with the Holy Spirit until Christ arose.

20 minutes ago, grahampaul said:

have you considered 2 samuel 23v2 For no such prophecy was ever brought forth by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.".  no indwelling there more the power of God.

these people lived under the law,and were not " indwelled" with the Holy Spirit until Christ arose.

I understand your point of view but look where the Spirit of their Father is at.

Matthew 10:9 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. 20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

Sure looks like He was indwelling temporary then.

27 minutes ago, ChristB4us said:

I understand your point of view but look where the Spirit of their Father is at.

Matthew 10:9 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. 20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

Sure looks like He was indwelling temporary then.

this is 2 timothy 1. 20 For it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you." berean  study bible. thats no indwelling but the power of God working  through them.