IGNORED

Suggestions for Biblical topical reference books?

Workman

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

On 1/2/2021 at 6:28 AM, GandalfTheWise said:

I can't speak to them from personal experience, but Herbert Lockyer wrote a number of systematic books such as "All the Apostles of the Bible", "All the Prayers of the Bible", "All the Parables of the Bible", etc.  

You could always try to check out a couple of these via a local public library inter-library loan program to try them out before buying.

I had not heard of Lockyer or the series, but I've spent a lot of time since you posted this vetting him.  I've read nothing but praise about him and the ALL series.  I also looked at some examples of the content in individual books of the ALL series and liked what I saw. 

It's hard to find the ALL series as a complete set in one place.  Many of them are only individual books or partial sets on ebay and other places.  In two places that had clear pictures I counted a total of 24 volumes. Wikipedia shows a picture with 24 volumes,  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Lockyer.  The Amazon description said 17 volumes, but I counted 24:  https://www.amazon.com/All-Set-Herbert-Lockyer/dp/B000O2S4YS.

I'm going to hold out for compiling the older hard-copy set published by Zondervan Publishing over the newer paperback editions.  It's going to take a while to get the complete set, but fortunately I'm off to a good start - I found 11 volumes in Very Good condition on a used book website.  That should keep me happy for now while I hunt for the rest.

UPDATE:  The more I look, the more volumes I find!  I didn't read Lockyer's bibliography in the wikipedia article.  According to the bibliography, there are actually 26 volumes in the ALL series.  It's going to need its own bookcase!

Bibliography
The following is an incomplete list of Herbert Lockyer's published books. Many of his sermons were also published in pamphlet form, most of which are now out of print.

1. All About Bible Study
2. All About God in Christ
3. All About the Holy Spirit
4. All about the Second Coming
5. All God's Comfort
6. All the 2's of the Bible
7. All the 3s of the Bible
8. All the Angels in the Bible
9. All the Apostles of the Bible
10. All the Books and Chapters of the Bible (1966)
11. All the Children of the Bible (1970)
12. All the Divine Names and Titles in the Bible (1975)
13. All the Doctrines of the Bible (1964)
14. All the Holy Days and Holidays: Or, Sermons on All National and Religious Memorial Days
15. All the Kings and Queens of the Bible (USA, 1961)
16. All the Last Words of Saints and Sinners (1969)
17. All the Men of the Bible (USA, 1958)
18. All the Messianic Prophecies of the Bible (1973)
19. All the Miracles of the Bible (1961)
20. All the Music of the Bible (1968)
21. All the Parables of the Bible (1963)
22. All the Prayers of the Bible (1959)
23. All the Promises of the Bible (1962)
24. All the Teachings of Jesus
25. All the Trades and Occupations of the Bible (1969)
26. All the Women of the Bible (1983)

Edited by Workman
Additional information.
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/2/2021 at 8:57 AM, Dennis1209 said:

Let's get that credit card out and bank loan preapproved shall we :D

I've found the following very helpful, and they don't depend on a computer or electricity (I'm old fashioned too!)

• American Dictionary of the English Language ~ Noah Webster 1828
  • The Zondervan - Pictorial Encyclopedia of the Bible (5 volume set)
  • The Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible (5 volume set)
  • A Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs ~ Bercot
  • Strong's Complete Dictionary and Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
  • Matthew Henrys Commentaries (6 volume set)
  • Zondervan Compact Bible Dictionary
  • A Dictionary of the Proper Names ~ J.B. Jackson (Hebrew names have significant meanings - very helpful)
  • Systematic Theology ~ Grudem 
  • Willmington's Guide to the Bible ~ Tyndale 
  • The Complete Word Study (New Testament and Old Testament) ~ Zodhiates  [Much better than Strong's]

Printed out your list and making notes. :)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,554
  • Content Per Day:  2.68
  • Days Won:  1

18 hours ago, Workman said:

Printed out your list and making notes. :)

It took me a number of years to put together my library, some of those items I listed are not cheap. It's a blessing to have my resources readily available on paper, that doesn't rely on modern technology to function. I'm not dissing the great computer programs I have but, I don't want to rely on electricity and lost connections, etc. when I study. 

If I want to look up a Greek or Hebrew word meaning; measure the distance someone traveled on a map, see a picture of historic ruins and what it is today [IE. the seven churches of Revelation]; how other scholars and expositors view the meaning of a passage, on and on... Pull out the resource from the shelf, no fuss, no muss, no undependable electrons to mess with :D 

On 1/4/2021 at 5:17 PM, Dennis1209 said:

It took me a number of years to put together my library, some of those items I listed are not cheap. It's a blessing to have my resources readily available on paper, that doesn't rely on modern technology to function. I'm not dissing the great computer programs I have but, I don't want to rely on electricity and lost connections, etc. when I study. 

If I want to look up a Greek or Hebrew word meaning; measure the distance someone traveled on a map, see a picture of historic ruins and what it is today [IE. the seven churches of Revelation]; how other scholars and expositors view the meaning of a passage, on and on... Pull out the resource from the shelf, no fuss, no muss, no undependable electrons to mess with :D 

Absolutely agree!  Plus there's just something peaceful and encouraging about having a well-stocked library with a wide variety of subjects in my study.  (Well, not entirely mine, it's a spare bedroom my wife and I share).  If she would just get her collection of school teacher curriculum stacked everywhere (and her mystery novels) out, that would be even better, but I would have to put an addition on the house to accommodate her!  Talk about expensive!

Edited by Workman
Clarity
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  910
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

Both of these books have been a blessing to me. Condensed and concise. the Systematic Theology book has a very thorough glossary and index making it easy to look up topics. These were gifts from people who's beliefs aren't the same as mine and as with any book, I take some and I leave some.

20210106_063026.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Lockyer All series that I found online came Monday, 1-11.  Since it came on a Monday, haven't had much time to really get into it, but over the week I've given it a quick once over. 

First thing was to make sure it was what was promised in the description, and it was, so I'm pleased with that.  The seller's description said it was 11 books of the series in very good condition with dust jackets, but with various printing dates.  The books are very handsome underneath the somewhat worn dust jackets.  (I get books for the info therein, not for display.  If they happen to look nice, so be it.)  The printing dates are mostly in the 70s.  I think I saw one from early 60s and another from the early 80s. 

Yesterday I had enough time to at least read one of the introductions.  My wife was particularly interested in the All Women book.  When I read the intro, I got a big kick out of the first paragraph.  Seriously, I laughed out loud.  This made me really like HL, he wasn't just a stuffy academic.  Too bad he's not around anymore, I would travel to hear him.  If I can figure out a way to copy some of the intro, I'll post it.  There doesn't seem to be a way to attach a PDF here.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

On 1/2/2021 at 6:28 AM, GandalfTheWise said:

I can't speak to them from personal experience, but Herbert Lockyer wrote a number of systematic books such as "All the Apostles of the Bible", "All the Prayers of the Bible", "All the Parables of the Bible", etc.  

You could always try to check out a couple of these via a local public library inter-library loan program to try them out before buying.

I think I have "ALL" of those. I collected them over years by frequenting used book stores.

One can get a lot of ideas about books by looking through people's inputs on library thing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2021 at 4:47 AM, SisterWells said:

Both of these books have been a blessing to me. Condensed and concise. the Systematic Theology book has a very thorough glossary and index making it easy to look up topics.

Yeah, I concur with Grudem's as a good addition.

19 minutes ago, Workman said:

If I can figure out a way to copy some of the intro, I'll post it.  There doesn't seem to be a way to attach a PDF here.

Be careful to be mindful of copyright infringement.

On 1/15/2021 at 2:34 PM, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Be careful to be mindful of copyright infringement.

Absolutely.  I looked it up, short quotes are ok:  https://blog.printsome.com/copyright-protect-quotes/