Starise

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,081
  • Content Per Day:  9.75
  • Days Won:  149

What are some ways you save money? Are you a frugal person? In what way?

I'll share a few simple things I do. I will share more as time allows.

If I'm down to the last few pieces of bread in a loaf when making a lunch for work I'll use the bread bag as a sandwich bag. 

If I'm cooking in the oven and the temps are similar for something else, I'll put two or three other things in there too. i.e. If I happen to be baking a turkey breast I might throw in a batch of brownies too. I have found that even if there's a 25F difference in baking requirements I can still get away with it. I just leave it in a little longer.

I installed a tankless electric flash water heater for my entire house I use it mainly in the summer. This is the type that doesn't need a tank. It uses high wattage so one might think it uses a lot more energy, yet compared to a tank water heater my bill went down. In the winter my gas boiler has a hot water feature built into it so I bypass the electric heater and use the gas one instead for hot water. It's debatable if this uses less energy, it is more convenient.

What things do you do to save money?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  0

i use the gas cooker stove to heat the kettle up for a cuppa as the electric is more expensive as far as i know. and i drink lots of tea so a serious consideration !!!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,205
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Starise & mabel,

Good ideas there. We have a vegie garden and share with others, as well as receive from some of them what they have grown. We get tomatoes from the grower down the road who leaves out a big bin of lovely ripe tomatoes which would go off by the time they got to market. We have bottled sauce and others have made relish, and also cooked up some for keeping to use in spagetti dishes.

A big saver is to NOT wander round shops a lot as things grab your eye and you can be prone to buying stuff we don`t really need. I think magazines each week can be a drain on finances.  

As the recession and then depression takes hold we`ll all have to seriously think what is really necessary for life. 

regards, Marilyn.

• Thumbs Up 1

yes i am reminded of the terms, 'need and want.' something that i was very familiar with not so long ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/26/2021 at 11:59 AM, existential mabel said:

i use the gas cooker stove to heat the kettle up for a cuppa as the electric is more expensive as far as i know. and i drink lots of tea so a serious consideration !!!

Something that might interest you are these electric flash water kettles. They heat water extremely fast. One was given to us as a gift and TBH I didn't see myself using it because we also use a gas cooker. Compared to the time it takes to heat water on the gas stove it's amazing. If you only fill it to the minimum level for one cup water boils in less than 1 minute. The savings are in the speed it works.

The one we have looks like this one- Kettle . I was recently at a discount store and found one priced at $19.00. That one has a tea diffuser built into it for loose leaf tea. I bought 2, one as a gift and one to keep. You can regularly find them for $20 online.

May I ask what teas you have found to be the best?

Discount stores. These are the stores that buy up liquidated products from other vendors who either went out of business, had too much unsold product or had product that weren't particularly popular for their prices. We have several of those around where I live. 

Some of the things I have bought from these places- A carpet cleaner for pennies on the dollar because it was a factory refurbished unit. I have been using it for over 5 years. Sometimes people return items because they were too complicated to figure out how to use or they simply decided they didn't want it. Just about anything you buy from these places is discounted at least 30-50% already. We get a 15% off coupon making the discounts even greater. We bought $122 worth of stuff of all kinds pet care, food, toiletries you name it. That $122 was valued at least 250 anywhere else.

I recently bought a bunch of smart switches at a discount store. These are the types of switches that can hook up to wifi. My guess is no one else knew how they worked and they didn't sell, so I bought a bunch of them. Brand new in their packaging at less than half price. 

We have a few food stores around here that buy up unsold or almost outdated product at greatly reduced prices. You have to watch what you buy sometimes so far as health is concerned. For the most part though everything they sell is ok. We have people coming in from 50 miles out to shop there. Products like cereals and canned goods can greatly exceed their expiration dates. What was a $300 grocery bill is at least half that amount there.

23 hours ago, Starise said:

May I ask what teas you have found to be the best?

oh mostly Indian tea, morning Breakfast and Earl Grey. we used to have a food discount store selling nearly outdated products but went bankrupt!

i did almost think about getting one of those but when i did a little research i discovered that they dont save a lot on energy obviously if you do the bare minimum...in the past when i have people visit i mostly use the electric kettle as it does take a while to boil on the gas

23 hours ago, existential mabel said:

oh mostly Indian tea, morning Breakfast and Earl Grey.

Never heard of Indian tea. I have been buying loose leaf tiesta teas. Since this is about bargains I should say they aren't the least expensive. Not a small family sourced company which I think might offer the best teas.  The larger companies are buying in bulk. Is very good tea. Better than most bagged tea.

23 hours ago, existential mabel said:

i discovered that they dont save a lot on energy obviously if you do the bare minimum...in the past when i have people visit i mostly use the electric kettle as it does take a while to boil on the gas

I have been weighing the cost of  electricity here .vs gas. I recently paid $1.53 a gallon for propane. I can't use city gas because I live too far out.Electric charges here are probably average to the rest of the US.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

On 1/25/2021 at 12:35 PM, Starise said:

What are some ways you save money? Are you a frugal person? In what way?

I'll share a few simple things I do. I will share more as time allows.

If I'm down to the last few pieces of bread in a loaf when making a lunch for work I'll use the bread bag as a sandwich bag. 

If I'm cooking in the oven and the temps are similar for something else, I'll put two or three other things in there too. i.e. If I happen to be baking a turkey breast I might throw in a batch of brownies too. I have found that even if there's a 25F difference in baking requirements I can still get away with it. I just leave it in a little longer.

I installed a tankless electric flash water heater for my entire house I use it mainly in the summer. This is the type that doesn't need a tank. It uses high wattage so one might think it uses a lot more energy, yet compared to a tank water heater my bill went down. In the winter my gas boiler has a hot water feature built into it so I bypass the electric heater and use the gas one instead for hot water. It's debatable if this uses less energy, it is more convenient.

What things do you do to save money?

I am one of the most low maintenance females this side of the Rockies. I am also very practical in what I buy. I don't have a television or a smart phone. I don't buy all the stuff women usually buy such as pedicures, manicures, hair coloring, makeup, expensive hair cuts..etc. 

• Praise God! 1

22 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I am one of the most low maintenance females this side of the Rockies. I am also very practical in what I buy. I don't have a television or a smart phone. I don't buy all the stuff women usually buy such as pedicures, manicures, hair coloring, makeup, expensive hair cuts..etc. 

I know someone here closer to my area and she seems almost exactly like you in this respect. She still uses an old flip phone. It's probably 10 years old. She has no interest in a TV. She isn't a fancy dresser. I think this is a very good way to be. 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

4 minutes ago, Starise said:

I know someone here closer to my area and she seems almost exactly like you in this respect. She still uses an old flip phone. It's probably 10 years old. She has no interest in a TV. She isn't a fancy dresser. I think this is a very good way to be. 

My phone is not old, I bought it a couple of years ago. It is a phone for those who do not want a smart phone. It is the Cadence by Kyocera. I don't like cell phones. I take it with me when I leave the house just in case. My cell phone bill is $40.00/month.

The money I spend on clothes is really very limited. I have two pairs of jeans. I am retired and live on a limited income. I have no choice. 

Edited by missmuffet
  • Thumbs Up 2