IGNORED

Is it right to make people take classes before baptizing them?

Hopefully

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.03
  • Days Won:  5

I have only seen one church that offers baptism after every service wether you are a member or not. Many churches won’t baptize just because you ask but require you to take classes first. Is this biblical? I just wonder why so many churches do it. After service is over they always ask is there anybody not saved that would like to give their life to Christ, but they never mention when people can be baptized, or what their baptism schedule is since a lot of churches don’t have their own pool. I am already a member of a church, but had thought about leaving to join the church that baptizes people after every service wether they are a member or not. Thoughts?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,738
  • Content Per Day:  2.44
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Theres not one example of anyone taking a class before being baptised in the Bible. I dont necessarily think classes are necessarily wrong as long as they teach an accurate representation of what baptism is and its meaning, but its not required Biblically. Nor is it a requirement that it has to be done by a pastor, it can be done by any believer.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.84
  • Days Won:  1

I don't recall specific order within the Bible. I recall that the early church did require something like this although it escapes me whether it was related to baptism or partaking of the Lord's Supper. It might be the latter.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.03
  • Days Won:  5

48 minutes ago, The_Patriot21 said:

Nor is it a requirement that it has to be done by a pastor, it can be done by any believer.

This is awesome news for me to look into because I did not know that. Do you know if women are allowed to baptize people?

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,305
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

1 hour ago, The_Patriot21 said:

Theres not one example of anyone taking a class before being baptised in the Bible. I dont necessarily think classes are necessarily wrong as long as they teach an accurate representation of what baptism is and its meaning, but its not required Biblically. Nor is it a requirement that it has to be done by a pastor, it can be done by any believer.

Our small baptist church does instruct new believers about being baptized,
lest they are only going through a ritual without having clear understanding of why.
My daughters children were baptized by their father on their place in the country.
Their church often gathers there also, baptizing new Christians.
Out door baptisms I have attended appealed to me, and seemed more natural.
I never considered women baptizing, but I know of no restrictions biblically.
I assumed it was the honor of the head of the church or family.
Now I'm curious.....

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  717
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  0

Who is it that baptizes? It is the church, the minister or the Holy Spirit? If it is the church or the minister then I would chalk it up their "their house, their rules" but if it is the Holy Spirit then it seems strange to make someone take a proverbial test before publicly professing their commitment to Jesus.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, LearningToLetGo said:

Who is it that baptizes? It is the church, the minister or the Holy Spirit? If it is the church or the minister then I would chalk it up their "their house, their rules" but if it is the Holy Spirit then it seems strange to make someone take a proverbial test before publicly professing their commitment to Jesus.

They don't take a test, but are instructed. Just like the Lords supper, to remind just why we are having it.
My wife and I took time to show our children, who were going to be baptized, the bible verses and explain why we are baptized,
primarily proclaiming to everybody watching, their belief, their faith in Jesus Christ, our savior.
The church does similarly, more formal, so the new believers understand just what they are doing and why.
To be baptized and have no knowledge just why would be irresponsible as parents, or as a body of believers.
It's a no brainer.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,738
  • Content Per Day:  2.44
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

2 hours ago, Hopefully said:

This is awesome news for me to look into because I did not know that. Do you know if women are allowed to baptize people?

to my understanding its any believer. Women are not to be preachers...but baptism isnt limited to only pastors.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  717
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  0

27 minutes ago, Sower said:

To be baptized and have no knowledge just why would be irresponsible as parents, or as a body of believers.
It's a no brainer.

I meant no offence, but was rather imagining the hypothetical case of a stranger walking in off the street, hearing the sermon and wanting to be baptised on the spot.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, LearningToLetGo said:

I meant no offence, but was rather imagining the hypothetical case of a stranger walking in off the street, hearing the sermon and wanting to be baptised on the spot.

I see no reason for him not  to be allowed to be baptized, assuming he knew why he was getting baptized.
If he had heard from a previous source that baptism would save him,
then it would be negligent to not have instructed him the reason for baptism,
to show others his belief in Jesus, and not a ritual for salvation by baptism.
Just like making a profession of faith, a person needs to know just what they are doing and saying.
It has to be 'real'.
Most evangelical pastors will tell you, that they believe there are half the congregation that is lost,
thinking that saying what they were told to say in a profession of faith would save them.
Not fully understanding fully about faith and belief.
Just look at your own church and see how many quit coming to church over the years.
I was baptized as an infant in the RCC, and thirty years of their dogma teachings  never told me I must be born again.
I had to learn later in a little baptist church what I must do then to be saved,
and later why I should be baptized to testify of my belief.
We should never take it for granted that new believers know all the scriptures that we know, 
and have learned over many years. I personally glad someone instructed me, lest I trusted in my infant baptism.