• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,116
  • Content Per Day:  9.69
  • Days Won:  149

On 2/2/2021 at 4:46 AM, Kristina said:

Do you believe you van still actively tithe in the community if you are not a church member..

Sure. I have given to congregations I was not a member of. Nowhere in the Bible do I read that a piece of paper saying you are a part of a church group makes any difference either way. Formal church membership only tells that group that you are coming on as a member of their body. This usually entails the things members of that body are expected to do. It can be as simple as just saying (on paper) I am a part of this body of believers or it might entail more requirements all depending on that church. 

I have seen people go to churches I've attended who I thought were members, who had been there for years. They were not members. Some of them would have made better members than the real members lol.

Most churches will send out tax form so you can claim charitable deductions ( here in the US) whether you are a member or not. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  673
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  0

11 hours ago, R. Hartono said:

Jesus has replaced animal sacrificial offerings (tithe).

So does that mean I don't have to mail my money to some church?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Content Count:  13,116
  • Content Per Day:  9.69
  • Days Won:  149

44 minutes ago, Peterlag said:

People who are cheerful givers give irregardless of what the Old Testament says. Some might give 20% some more. The NT says give as the Lord lays it on your heart.

Stingy people who have money won't give....and God doesn't want your money if this is a person's heart. God wants cheerful givers. Not cheapskates.

Edited by Starise
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

4 hours ago, Peterlag said:

You don't HAVE to anything, and if you are going to begrudge your giving you are quite missing the point ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Starise said:

People who are cheerful givers give irregardless of what the Old Testament says. Some might give 20% some more. The NT says give as the Lord lays it on your heart.

Stingy people who have money won't give....and God doesn't want your money if this is a person's heart. God wants cheerful givers. Not cheapskates.

I think God would enjoy having us give money to each other like they did in the New Testament.

4 hours ago, Riverwalker said:

You don't HAVE to anything, and if you are going to begrudge your giving you are quite missing the point ;)

I don't believe I'm missing the point. I just believe we should give like they did in the New Testament which was to give money to each other.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

29 minutes ago, Peterlag said:

I don't believe I'm missing the point. I just believe we should give like they did in the New Testament which was to give money to each other.

But somebody has to pay the light bills and the salaries at the church. If you are going to a church then you should probably at least give some to the church, and if you are not, then don't sweat it

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

1 hour ago, Peterlag said:

Have you done a comparison of what life was like during the time of Acts 2 and how people live today?  When we are told that they sold their possessions and goods and divided it among people as they had need, how do you think this was done?  Consider Acts 5 for the answer.

Acts 2:44-45

Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.

13 hours ago, Riverwalker said:

But somebody has to pay the light bills and the salaries at the church. If you are going to a church then you should probably at least give some to the church, and if you are not, then don't sweat it

I don't see a church structure in the New Testament. Nor do I see money being sent to an organization. The fellowships were small and governed by themselves. 

12 hours ago, OneLight said:

Have you done a comparison of what life was like during the time of Acts 2 and how people live today?  When we are told that they sold their possessions and goods and divided it among people as they had need, how do you think this was done?  Consider Acts 5 for the answer.

Acts 2:44-45

Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.

Right. Good point. They did not send their money to headquarters.