IGNORED

Should I Tell My Non-Christian Friends God has Determined Them to Go to Hell?

Uber Genius

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.55
  • Days Won:  12

12 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

Not true. It says it is not his will any should perish. 

Here is the verse to which you have alluded.

2 Pet. 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some count slackness; but he is long-suffering toward us, not intending any to perish, but all to come to repentance;

The thing about this verse, which is much misused, is that we need the context, in order to understand it properly.  It is always right to consider the context.

2 Pet. 3:3-9

3 knowing this first, that mockers will come in the last days, walking after their own lusts
4 and saying, “Where is the promise of his coming? For, from the day that the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.”.
5 For this they forget wilfully, that there were heavens from of old and an earth standing out of water and amidst water, by the word of God,
6 by which means the world that existed then, being overflowed with water, perished;
7 but the heavens and the earth that exist now, by the same word, have been stored up for fire, being preserved until the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men;
8 but do not forget this one thing, beloved, that one day is, with the Lord, as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day.
9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some count slackness; but he is long-suffering toward us, not intending any to perish, but all to come to repentance;

This passage contains a strong contrast between the mockers/ungodly (verses 3-7) and the beloved (verses 8,9).  It is the beloved to whom God is long-suffering (toward us), not intending any of us to perish but all of us to come to repentance.

This is exactly what happens: all of God's beloved elect are given repentance and do not perish.  This is confirmed by verse 15.

2 Pet. 3:15 Regard the long-suffering of our Lord as salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you,

Here, we see that the long-suffering mentioned in verse 9 ("long-suffering toward us") is to be regarded as salvation; in other words, God's long-suffering towards his beloved elect is in order to ensure our salvation.  This is in stark contrast to the destruction of the mockers/ungodly, mentioned in verses 3-7.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  0

On 2/12/2021 at 1:10 PM, David1701 said:

"The Bible says that repentance and faith are gifts from God.  If you want to caricature that as being "like a puppet on a string", then that's between you and God (I don't recommend it)."

Just because our will is bound (and the Bible clearly states that it is) does not mean that we are "like a puppet on a string".  The bondage is internal.  We are either slaves of sin, or slaves or righteousness, as the Bible states. 

This is not like a lifeless puppet, being forced from outside itself; rather, we are bound by our desires, which, in turn, are bound by our nature.  A good tree bears good fruit and a bad tree bears bad fruit.

So clearly I make no quarrel with the Bible as you suggest. NIce try, but that is a childish rhetorical trick. I have simply ask if you want to defend Augustinian/Calvin, Luther's view of double predestination! 

If you want to engage the scriptural evidence to do that then make a case for it but just tossing out a sentence about gifts of repentance (which does nothing to engage the role man's free will plays in that repentance go no way towards making your point.

So on Manechaeism/Augustinianism/Luther/Calvin, we have the view that God controls everything and everyone, including those chosen before the foundation of the world for heaven and concomitantly for hell not conditioned in any way by GOd's knowledge of how they would act. 

That is the subject...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  578
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Days Won:  0

"Should I Tell My Non-Christian Friends God has Determined Them to Go to Hell?"

Some people say you shouldn't mention election to the lost. I don't agree with this. See: Matthew 15:22-28. Of course, you never know if they might eventually believe.