IGNORED

Parable of the Sower....... Same message with different / deeper meanings?

Charlie744

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,670
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

Now I realize I have mentioned my lack of knowledge in reading the Scriptures, and while I am trying to complete Daniel, the only book I have read / studied so far, I found the Parable of the Sower in the Gospels that everyone is so familiar with...... However, when I went into the Gospels I noticed this parable was just a little different in each of the 3 recordings (John does not record this parable).

Here are the 3 writings in each:

Luke 8

New International Version

Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up and yielded a crop, a hundred times more than was sown.”

Mark 4:1-20

Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up, grew and produced a crop, some multiplying thirty, some sixty, some a hundred times.”

Matthew 13:1-9

Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In each of the 3 Gospels you will notice the "yield or productivity or result" of the crops are recorded differently, and once again, this is not recorded in John which also must be meaningful should there be a "deeper meaning" to this parable (and since I believe that God does not do coincidences or random but has purpose for having His writers record even a small jot, there is more to learn here).

Consequently, I hope to hear everyone's thoughts and comments on this...... so much knowledge and talent within this forum I am confident all and any response will be interesting and enjoyable.

1) Differences with yield among the 3:    Luke only records 100 X's,

Mark records 30, then 60, then 100 X's, 

Matthew records 100, then 60, then 30 X's (in opposite order of Mark),

2) Differences with terms (and yes they all had different ways of writing but again, I think it is more than just their individual way of writing).

Luke uses ".... it came up and yielded....."

Mark uses ".... it came up, grew and produced ......."

Matthew uses ".....it produced a crop......"

Hope there is some interest in this....... thanks, Charlie

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  243
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,970
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

28 minutes ago, Charlie744 said:

Now I realize I have mentioned my lack of knowledge in reading the Scriptures, and while I am trying to complete Daniel, the only book I have read / studied so far, I found the Parable of the Sower in the Gospels that everyone is so familiar with...... However, when I went into the Gospels I noticed this parable was just a little different in each of the 3 recordings (John does not record this parable).

Luke 8

Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up and yielded a crop, a hundred times more than was sown.”

Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up, grew and produced a crop, some multiplying thirty, some sixty, some a hundred times.”

Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. 

In each of the 3 Gospels you will notice the "yield or productivity or result" of the crops are recorded differently, and once again, this is not recorded in John which also must be meaningful should there be a "deeper meaning" to this parable (and since I believe that God does not do coincidences or random but has purpose for having His writers record even a small jot, there is more to learn here).

Consequently, I hope to hear everyone's thoughts and comments on this...... so much knowledge and talent within this forum I am confident all and any response will be interesting and enjoyable.

2) Differences with terms (and yes they all had different ways of writing but again, I think it is more than just their individual way of writing).

All accounts are acceptable in terms of accuracy. It is not surprising that Matthew & Mark who were closer to the action at the time report more detail than Luke. If all the Gospels had exactly the same wording it would give credence to the claims of sceptics who insist the Gospels are fictitious accounts invented by fanatics to gain religious control. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,630
  • Content Per Day:  1.99

2 hours ago, Michael37 said:

All accounts are acceptable in terms of accuracy. It is not surprising that Matthew & Mark who were closer to the action at the time report more detail than Luke. If all the Gospels had exactly the same wording it would give credence to the claims of sceptics who insist the Gospels are fictitious accounts invented by fanatics to gain religious control. 

Correct. Eyewitness accounts always differ in the details. The fact of the event is exactly the same, the parable was given, but the vantage point differs. Every person processes through personal nature, nurture, experience and perceptions and has a unique view.

I really like that. :)

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,630
  • Content Per Day:  1.99

3 hours ago, Charlie744 said:

Luke 8

The deeper meaning is the idea Micheal37 brought up. It's clear the Gospels were recorded by unique individuals and the veracity of the writings is established therefore the person of Jesus Christ is real.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,670
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

1 hour ago, Diaste said:

The deeper meaning is the idea Micheal37 brought up. It's clear the Gospels were recorded by unique individuals and the veracity of the writings is established therefore the person of Jesus Christ is real.

Thank you very much Diaste!  But as I mentioned, I believe there is a purpose / reason for these differences - not just to give those folks who might need to see some differences in the Gospels to prove they have their own individual legitimacy AND independent value for us. 

By recording the multiples of 100, 60 or 30 X's in an opposite order does nothing to give any credence or support to their uniqueness; God does not need OUR opinion and acceptance ..... but HE always provides us more of HIM in the Scriptures than we seem to be able to identify..... and that is the point here. 

So let me throw our a thought that has just come to mind:

Matthew is a book that speaks of Jesus as our KING. Mark is a book that speaks of HIM as a servant, while Luke speaks of HIM as a man. Can we try and see if there are deeper messages to why they record the "multiples" differently given the different views of the 3 Gospels?

That is just one thought that comes to mind... Perhaps this "approach" might trigger some interesting thoughts... Charlie

• Oy Vey! 1

• 6 months later...

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

On 2/14/2021 at 3:29 AM, Charlie744 said:

Luke 8

Good question. I never thought about it. When I have time, I will ponder more on it.