Shimon

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

“And let them make Me a Mikdash [Sanctuary]; that I may dwell among them. According to all that I show thee, after the tavnit HaMishkan [pattern of the Tabernacle].”

– Exodus 25: 8-9, Orthodox Jewish Bible

The Hebrew word, mishkan (tabernacle), literally means “dwelling place.” The Mishkan, or tabernacle was a structure that served as a Mikdash (sanctuary). Within the Mikdash, or sanctuary, the Ark of the Covenant rested within the inner part of the sanctuary, the Kadosh Kadoshim (Holy of Holies). It was here that the L’RD’s Presence, the Shechinah rested, between the two golden cherubim (angels) on the kapporet (cover) of the Ark.

After the Revelation at Mount Sinai, the L’RDs Presence dwelt within the Sanctuary. The Mishkan (Tabernacle) was symbolic of Mt. Sinai, where the L’RD appeared to B’nei Yisrael. In later years, the Mishkan was replaced by the Temple (Beis HaMikdash).

According to Sforno, the original intent at Mount Sinai was for G-d’s Presence –the Shechinah – to dwell within us. The level of prophecy achieved at Sinai, connoted the worthiness of each and every member of B’nei Yisrael to have the Shechinah (Divine Presence) to rest upon themselves. This is reflected in the rendering of the verse, as “I will dwell within them” (Exodus 25:8).

However, the sin of the golden calf prevented that intent from being fulfilled at that time. “Your iniquities have made a separation between you and your G’d. Your sins have hidden His face from you” (Isaiah 59:2, TLV).

“You are a Heikhal H’Shem [Temple of G’d] and the Ruach Hakodesh [Holy Spirit] of H’Shem dwells in you.” – 1 Kehillah in Corinth 3:16, Orthodox Jewish Bible

Although the purpose of the building of the Mishkan (portable tabernacle in the desert) was to provide a sanctuary (mikdash) for the L’RD to dwell amongst the B’nei Israel, commentary explains that “the verse does not say, ‘and I will dwell within it,’ but ‘and I will dwell within them’ – within each and every one of them” (Shelah).

The ultimate purpose of the mikdash (sanctuary) is to serve as a place of residence, so to speak, for the Shechinah (G’d’s Divine Presence). Yet, within the clay vessels that He created, our very selves, He may also dwell. “Know that AD’NAI, He is G’d. It is He who has made us, and we our His. We are His people, the sheep of His pasture” (Tehillim 100:3, TLV).

The sin of the golden calf, amounted to such a monumental aveirah (transgression), that chazal teaches, the punishment was designated only to be meted out over the following generations. The restoration of our relationship with G’d is predicated upon our willingness to do teshuvah (repentance). “Return to AD’NAI your G’d and listen to His voice according to all that I am commanding you today – you and your children – with all your heart and with all your soul” (Deuteronomy 30:2, TLV). “A Redeemer will come to Zion, and to those in Jacob who turn from transgression” (Isaiah 59: 20, TLV). Yeshua proclaimed, “‘Now is the fullness of time,’ He said, ‘and the kingdom of G’d is near. Turn away from your sins, and believe in the Good News'” (Mark 1:15, TLV).

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.95
  • Days Won:  10

Amen

• Thumbs Up 1