• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.90
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Dennis1209 said:

I get freaked out when someone accepts the title of "holy father"; issues edicts that are deemed and claimed infallible. I get freaked out when the globes largest "religion" says you can get to heaven if your a good person, and never mentions Jesus Christ. I really freak out when that leader gathers all the worlds religions [Buddhists, Hindus, Muslim's, Christians and dozens of others], and says we all pray to the same god, called by different names in that religion. Amen and A woman [congress].

Fair point. I should have emphasized ecumenism within Christendom itself, not the larger version that includes all other faiths.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

3 hours ago, Riverwalker said:

Pentecostal with a captial P is a denomination, with a small p its the truth ;)

I’ve been looking into the word and not sure how it got morphed into a denomination

but from what I’ve been reading, pentecost seems to be a reference to shavout, the late spring feast of pilgrimage to Jerusalem; it is also known as the Feast of Harvest , the Feast of Weeks,  Feast of Firstfruits. An event that started on the first day of 50 days from the seventh sabbath. Paul is in a hurry to make it time on the fiftieth day after the seventh sabbath. it appears pentacost means fifty aka shavout.

Acts 20:16Paul had decided to sail past Ephesus to avoid spending time in the province of Asia, because he was in a hurry to reach Jerusalem, if possible, by the day of Pentecost.

Edited by BeyondET

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.77

5 hours ago, Riverwalker said:

Pentecostal with a captial P is a denomination, with a small p its the truth ;)

Nice try - OK my pentecostal faith is with a small p because it is the same faith, gospel and doctrine as in the beginning.

• Topic Count:  777
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,954
  • Content Per Day:  3.05

On 4/1/2021 at 4:50 AM, Dennis1209 said:

I get freaked out when someone accepts the title of "holy father"; issues edicts that are deemed and claimed infallible. I get freaked out when the globes largest "religion" says you can get to heaven if your a good person, and never mentions Jesus Christ. I really freak out when that leader gathers all the worlds religions [Buddhists, Hindus, Muslim's, Christians and dozens of others], and says we all pray to the same god, called by different names in that religion. Amen and A woman [congress].

The whore of Babylon who claimed to be established by Peter.

Edited by R. Hartono
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  777
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,954
  • Content Per Day:  3.05

9 hours ago, Riverwalker said:

Word's I never saw in the bible

• Catholic
  • Protestant
  • Orthodoxy
  • Baptist (well except for John)
  • Calvinist
  • Arminian
  • Lutheran
  • Methodist
  • Pentecostal
  • Presbyterian 
  • Episcopal 
  • and so on and so forth

How did we ever let ourselves get so divided to the point that we separate ourselves from  other Christians?  Sometimes even pridefully perching ourselves on the pillar of truth and looking down on all others. Doesn't this confusion and strife strike you as the calling card of our enemy of old?

What I have read in the bible is that we are one church, One Body and Christ is the Head

1 Corinthians 12:25 that there should be no schism in the body, but that the members should have the same care for one another. 26 And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; or if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it. 27 Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually.

Why do we allow the body of Christ to be carved up with the labels of men?

When anyone asks me what I am, my answer is simple. I am Christian

The fruit of the Spirit is found in genuine christians.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,331
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

I searched for "Pentecostal faith" in the scriptures but found no mention of it just as I couldn't find "Lutheran faith," "Baptist faith," and so forth. Here's what I found instead. 

Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. (Jude 3). 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,159
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  8

On 3/31/2021 at 12:32 PM, Riverwalker said:

How did we ever let ourselves get so divided to the point that we separate ourselves from  other Christians? 

It's not as divided as it might seem.  Of those listed, the Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterian, Calvinists, Lutherans, Pentecostals, Episcopals and Arminians are all Protestants. They are effectively under one roof and each feels that they have the better way to worship God, which is not much of a problem.  We are closer in beliefs, than not. 

Of those listed, only the Orthodox and Catholics are not Protestant.

On 3/31/2021 at 12:32 PM, Riverwalker said:

When anyone asks me what I am, my answer is simple. I am Christian

Bare with me as I try to explain that the term 'Christian' has become a bit watered down in our modern times.   It is quite logical to believe that the word Christian simply means a follower of Christ, but in reality it also means very different things to different people.  Some 'religions' call themselves Christian, but under the hood, they profess to worship some other 'Jesus' than our Lord Jesus.  While the Bible is certainly packed with information about how to become a disciple of Christ, and how to accept the gift of salvation, a lot of information about God, past wisdom and more; it does not describe how to be a Christian.   The term Christian has come to mean whatever a person wants it to mean. 

The Bible itself has no definition for the word Christian, and in the KJV the word Christian(s) is only briefly mentioned 3 times.  Christian is a term that has so many meanings today that I think that is where most of the confusion comes in, and I think Satan really likes it that way.  We are using a modern term to describe ourselves that may not have the same agreed-upon-meaning that we all think it has.

Don't get me wrong.  I, too, use the term Christian for ease-of-use, especially when dealing with non-believers, but I always try to clarify myself by using the words born again, and saved Christian.   While I have no real denomination that I follow, I think being born again and saved is the whole point to Christianity, and those words clarify what kind of Christian I am.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.77

1 hour ago, Marathoner said:

Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. (Jude 3). 

Now that we are reading the epistle of Jude let us follow up on that salvation ONCE delivered to the SAINTS - - - 

Jude 1:17  But YE beloved, remember the words spoken before by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ; 
18  that they said to you, In the last time mockers shall be, walking after their own ungodly lusts. 
19  These are they who make separations, having only soul, not having Spirit. 
20  But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, 
21  keep yourselves in God’s love, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. 
22  And on some have mercy, who are in doubt; and 
23  save, snatching them out of fire; and on some have mercy with fear; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh. 

that is a pentecostal faith and doctrine (with a small p) happening today with these signs shall follow ... also 1Corinthians 12 & 14 

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

2 hours ago, Sparks said:

They are effectively under one roof

The point is we are all under the same roof

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

2 hours ago, Sparks said:

Bare with me as I try to explain that the term 'Christian' has become a bit watered down in our modern times

but I always try to clarify myself by using the words born again, and saved Christian.

The term Christian is as powerful today as it ever was. what man thinks is irrelevant. By accepting the derision of some to make you define further that which needs no description is part of the problem

We are of Christ. We are Christian

Edited by Riverwalker